“Very good food and friendly service”

The Martello Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Martello situated in Glengarriff on the Wild Atlantic Way, is owned by renowned local Chef Sean Hurley and managed with his daughter Emily. We offer locally seafood,meat,poultry & vegetables, cooked ' a la francaise'. Our wine list is full of interesting options and we pride ourselves on our warm welcoming service. Reservations recommended during busy periods. We open 7 days per week in the Summer - with lunch available on Sundays from noon. Our team are happy to help you plan your special family occasions, and we also offer a wedding dinner service for those with up to 40 guests.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went on a quiet night in September, so the atmosphere was subdued; however, the service was very friendly and the food top notch. The dining room was tastefully decorated and has a small ourdoor area for the warmer weather (which I'm sure does happen in Glengariff, just not in 2012!).
Not the cheapest place in town but very good quality food more than makes up for it. We would return.

1  Thank JacquiB40

Reviewed September 16, 2012

having sent a week recently on a "staycation" in ireland we ended our week in glengarrif which we visited for the first time . We without doubt saved the best until last! as a chef myself nothing pleases me more than a good meal and Martello certainly delivers. The venue itself is fab and we were lucky enough to bag a beautiful seat by the window on the night. Our waitress had extensive knowledge of what was on offer and helped us to choose from the considerable menu.our meal was perfect , i honestly couldnt find fault with anything.if i had to reccomend a dish the crab claws i started with were the highlight of the meal for me , they were generous and so fresh and perfectly executed and my mouth is watering as i think of them again!we finished our meal in the outdoor setion of the restaurant and just as the night statred to get chilly our waitress appeared with wollen blankets ( a mind reader no doubt!). it was one of the best meals i had in ages and im already looking forward to our next visit.

4  Thank josheehan
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Coming back towards bantry we were out on the bikes later than we had expected and were starving and probably smelly. Tail between my legs I went in to this very nice looking place to see if they could feed us. I was expecting a short shift, but to my absolute relief an absolutely gorgeous, smiling, welcoming girl got us a table without any problem or snobbery. We shared a very generous portion of crabs claws to start. Perfect. Spoke for themselves. I then had the special of the day which was monkfish and scallops. Again generous portions ( I wasn't hoking about looking for a solitary scallop). My husband had the salmon which he enjoyed ( he must have, it was finished before I got to try it.) Veg was on the side. The potatoes were fought over. I also had a very generous glass of the house red. So stuffed we couldn't fit in dessert. This place has a lovely, friendly vibe about it. Thanks a million

3  Thank Meave22
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Following at our disaster at The Park bistro we winded up here. What a pleasure. The staff were wonderful and the food delicious.
Try it! Its worth the few euros more!

4  Thank mucbaz
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Based on the other reviews, the cook must be on vacation for the month of August. Restaurant looks like it would be nice, but was just ok at best, bad at worst. Soup was overly salty, salad was gross with a big pile of pink sauce on top of the shrimp, the meat was tough and dessert was dry and tasted like it came from a box.

2  Thank Tay84
Sean H, Manager at The Martello Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your "early bird " experience with us .You did comment on the soup being too salty and as we use only min salt in our kitchen it was immediately checked and found it was the celery content was giving a "salty" taste as for the pink sauce as you describe it that was Marie Rose and we are surprised for one so knowlegeable you didn't know what it was . The sirloin steak you say was tough and if it was and you had brought it to our attention we would have offered you an alternative . As for the desert all I can say is we make them all in our kitchen and can't comment further you just didn't like it .While you were dining with us we had a medical emergency which involved a lady who required urgent removal to hospital and all our staff were involved in trying to keep her "comfortable " while waiting for the paramedics . Because of the disruption you didn't have to pay for your meal .