“Eco-warrior propaganda disguised as tourist attraction”
Review of The Ewe Experience

The Ewe Experience
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Glengarriff
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Ewe is a home - open to the public, entirely created & run by a couple. Ireland's only 'Interactive Natural History Museum-on-a-Mountain' is a must see for anyone interested in art, nature or a totally unique experience - the perfect destination for a relaxing, memorable day out. Set along a spectacular waterfall in the natural Eden of Glengarriff, the one-two hour trail offers visitors a chance to step off the treadmill, slow down and rediscover our beautiful but vulnerable natural world. It is a journey like no other. Explore the meandering pathways and hidden corners, where curious creatures gaze back as you pass. Take the Evolution Walk through the Valley of Eden, weave your way over bridges & discover a surprise at every turn. The creative haven of about six acres has been designed in four very different tiers up a mountainside - each with a theme: Water, Time, The Environment & Ancient Earth. Children welcome - please supervise for the safety & peaceful enjoyment of all.
Reviewed August 29, 2012

After paying €20 for a family of 4, (no discount for a 3 year old), the owner pointedly showed us the sign saying "No Running etc..." and directed this at our 2 small girls. Onwards then into an environmentalist propaganda exercise, with signs and "artwork" everywhere telling you to save water, drive a smaller car, make do with your old TV instead of buying a new widescreen one.
Want to eat a "Quarter Pounder"? Well you're killing the planet.

They tell you that you're nothing but a consumer on a treadmill, working to get money to buy bad stuff that controls you. Looks like the owners here stepped off that treadmill, but they depend on the car driving suckers who pony up the cash to enter.

Want to see the most dangerous animal on earth? Just open the cell door. I guessed what was in there before I opened it, and I was right.

I could go on and on, but the owner will just pop up here as he has with every other negative review and type some insulting platitudes.

Do yourself a favour and just go for a walk in some unspoilt woods. Garnish Island is just down the road. This one place I wish we hadn't stopped at. If I wanted to read political or environmental literature, I'd buy a book. I don't want to pay money to be lectured.

The only way I'd go back is if I could bring Jeremy Clarkson with me.

11  Thank GrandfatherClock

Reviewed August 21, 2012

The gardens are wonderful but what makes it special are the sculptures hidden in plain site. It would not be a good place for some one who can not climb uneven stairs. If you are able it is well worth the walk.

2  Thank Penny K
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Like all other reviews, the garden is just FAB, we arrived on a very wet day and was met by the male owner who was not the most inviting it has to be said. I also ask the question....why open this wonderful garden to the public when you leave the customer feeling that you would prefer them not to be there?? My advice - get a more welcoming employee to meet people at the gate. It takes from the good feel factor experience of the garden when his manner dampens the experience. Advice, go and enjoy the wonderful experience that the garden is, try to ignore the manner in which you will be greeted.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Visited this place with children, and I have to say that while the garden was nice, the male owner was quite rude, and spoiled the experience. If you don't want people in your garden, don't open to the public. Since it is open to the public, perhaps some diplomacy should prevail. Shame really, since it is obvious that a lot of work has gone into the garden itself. Would not go back.

3  Thank Anna M
Ewesmile, Owner at The Ewe Experience, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

'quiet, slow & relaxing' - is for the safety & enjoyment of all. Happily the vast majority appreciate that the garden is shared by others.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

While we thought the art work and creativity behind the sculptures was amazing and truly inspired, we were very disappointed by the person at the door who was extremely rude.
The sign at the door says "we don't do running, shouting, or throwing stones, we do quiet, calm", so we commented that as we were going in with 3 young boys under 6, we could not guarantee the above. The owner immediately got very defensive and I reacted by saying that I simply thought it wasn't a very welcoming message and then I joked that I yet had to meet children who don't shout or run. The man then started taking out the money that we gave him and wanted us to leave! We were very shocked but too taken aback to do anything about it. We stayed and the kids absolutely loved it. The visuals were beautiful and the rain did not do anything but add to the mystique of the exhibition. However, we then started to read the messages, some which were fun, all interesting but too many of them were taking a moral highground, with a lecturing tone, and some would have been awful for our kids to have read, thankfully none of them are reading yet so they enjoyed it through their innocent eyes. We were sincerely taken aback at what we read and we would not have paid money to go in if we had known what was ahead. I am sure the owner will come on here to defend himself as he is obviously defensive by nature and I'm sure also that people will continue to enjoy this attraction, but we personally felt offended by the tone of the messages. My husband is very interested in the subject of sustainable living and we both try to be environmentally conscious, but we both felt this message was too extreme for a tourist attraction. The message at the door should read "no humans"!

13  Thank Smellseys
Ewesmile, Owner at The Ewe Experience, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2014

Glad the garden ‘amazed, truly inspired, was fun & enjoyed'. Complaining LOUD (& very long...also to poor husband who just wanted to come in) that 'it's impossible for my boys to not shout, throw stones’ etc...we offered a refund. End of story.