“friendly and helpful”

Ranked #10 of 11 Waterville B&B and Inns
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“friendly and helpful”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Due to other commitments we were only able to spend one night here on our recent tour of Ireland. However, during that time, we found Margaret to be the perfect host. She was friendly, helpful and a delight to talk to. Both our evening meal and breakfast were of top quality. Had a little bit of trouble with the Wifi and would have liked a better view but overall were very pleased.
Margaret's booklet about the laying of the telegraph cable was most impressive. It was also very kind of Margaret not to charge us for the second night which we had booked but couldn't honour.
A lovely lady.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have spent 3 nights here at the Old Cable Historic House & have to say that I have been absolutely delighted and impressed with everything here. If you are looking for a swanky, 5 star hotel with super-modern facilities,you should go elsewhere. If you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere with great customer care & comfortable place to hang your hat while you explore the magnificent surroundings, then you will be delighted to stay here.

I stayed in a double room with an ensuite bathroom. The room was quiet and comfortable with fresh linens every day & a spacious bathroom with great water pressure in the shower! (not something I have been able to say very many times on any of my 4 trips to Ireland). There is a simple / basic restaurant that serves a lovely breakfast and dinner in the evenings - great after a long day of hiking & photography which is what brought me to this part of Kerry.

Aside from the comfortable room, short 5 minute walk into the village (town) of Waterville, and the gorgeous area all around Waterville, I have been incredibly impressed by the owner / operators attention to detail and their helpfulness. A couple of examples? I arrived at the Old Cable Historic House after a few days of travelling and hiking and needed laundry facilities. Margaret ensured that my things were sent to be laundered and returned by the end of the first day-- "Don't worry! I will get it taken care of for you." When I arrived back on my second night feeling SO exhausted from a 10 hour outdoor photography program, the last thing I felt like doing was leaving the B & B to go for dinner in town. The dinner menu at the Old Cable House is primarily seafood however, and I don't eat seafood. Once again, the owner & cook conferred and offered me something different that was not even on the menu. TALK ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I have other examples as well but must share what may seem like a very tiny thing to many people but was a delight for me! I arrived back to my room after my first day of travelling to discover that there was a lovely wine goblet in my room sitting beside the wine I had brought with me. NO drinking wine out of a coffee mug! Once again, only a tiny thing but something I was VERY appreciative of.

This is a comfortable (not fancy) accommodation close to many wonderful amenities. The staff here are very helpful, accommodating, and gracious. I feel lucky to have stumbled upon this little gem (super clean by the way) and I have travelled extensively in Ireland. I will definitely return to the Old Cable Historic House in Waterville!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank OneDeb
Bluff City, Tennessee
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

After traveling all around Ireland and staying in b & b's we had wonderful experiences, until we came to the old cable house. It started badly when we pulled in and the place looked dirty and unkept, when we were shown our room it looked more like something you would see in a hostel than a b & b. when I went to use the rest room there were pubic hairs and urine stains on the toilet seat, at that point we should have left but we were afraid we couldn't find something else.
Pros:
Good fruit pancakes ( but overall breakfast was not up to par with what we had in other b & b's)

Cons:
Owners were not very friendly
House dirty and unkept, inside and outside
No sitting area for guests

I could go on but I don't want to think about it anymore, in short all I can say is, do not go !, there are much better options available

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank swdog
Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Margaret and Alan were wonderful hosts. We stayed nearly a week and the Old Cable House became our headquarters for our visit to our ancestral home. Alan is marvelous cook and a great conversationalist. Breakfast was fabulous every morning. He even made dinner for us one evening and it was delicious. Information about the historic laying of the trans-Atlantic cable are all around in the cheerful and spacious dining area and Margaret is very informatve. Our room was comfortable, warm and cozy. The beds were very comfortable. We slept like logs! Our bathroom was perfect with a room sized shower. The location is an ideal stepping off point for any direction in the Ring of Kerry. It is only a short walk into Waterville which is one of the prettiest towns in Ireland.

Room Tip: All the rooms are ground level so no issues with accessiblity.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bluffton, SC
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here in late October and found Margaret and Alan to be very charming hosts. We loved talking to both of them and their insights and information about the area including the best routes to drive around the Ring of Kerry were very helpful. If it had not been for them we would have missed the wonderful drive through the Gap of Dunloe. It was an adventure to say the least and the scenery was exquisite. We were only sorry we had no time to take them up on their suggestion for a ferry trip to Valencia Island. The included breakfast was more than ample and included three choices and we had dinner there the second night, cooked by Alan, which included three varieties of very fresh fish. Our room was large and comfortable with plenty of towels, a TV and a coffee setup. We walked into town and had beers at the Fisherman's Bar and then dinner at a pub across the street. Loved the village of Waterville and only wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SouvenirSeeker
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place is a real gem. Definitely recommend staying here. The food is very good and the rooms are cosy. Walking distance to everything. Nice owners. Make sure you head down to the Fisherman's Pub is you are a golfer or a fisherman

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Nice clean accommodation with character and a friendly hostess. Bright and spacious room. Large parking area. Close to everything. Basic but nice breakfast. I rang to book instead of online and got a really good rate.
Only problem was the crying baby at 12 am. Not their fault of course.....especially seeing as it was my baby!!!
Would stay there again

Room Tip: I was happy with room 5
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
kerryrogue, Manager at The Old Cable Historic House, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Shauna thank you very much for the kind words, I have trawled through my phone numbers over the past couple of days trying to identify your number ( as your booking was made over the phone) I have called many folks in Cork - as that is all I have recorded unfortunately, but not you ? great I could identify you here ( the baby did it ) you left your " watch" behind in your room - I have it safe for you if you could give us a call or send on your address and I will post it on to you, thank god I found you ..........call off the search!

Margaret
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville
Butler Arms Hotel
#8 of 11 in Waterville
Clifford's B & B
Clifford's B & B
#7 of 11 in Waterville

Been to The Old Cable Historic House? Share your experiences!