“Don't do it” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Huntsman Club

The Huntsman Club
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waterville
The Huntsman Club
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't do it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

Stayed at waterville which was a delightful tiny village. The accommodation is well passed it's prime. The unit is very tired. Shower preasure is very low,walls are stained as is some of the furniture ,and the lower floor is dark and gloomy.
The accommodation spolied a beautiful setting, which is in a great position to travel the ring of Kerry. There seemed to be much better accommodation in the village and this is the first time I have said DON"T STAY HERE.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Johannesburg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

This property is run down - wallpaper peeling, Duvet Cover old, pillows like rocks, no soap in the bathrooms on arrival. After 2 days - no cleaning, certainly not the standard expected. No Satelite TV - advertised by RCI. Cleaning standards poor - old papers in the drawers of the lounge on arrival. First impression - on arrival Refuse Bins in the Courtyard leading to Reception. What else can I say?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Waterville hotels

captdenis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

WE STAYED AT THE HUNTSMAN CLUB LOCATED ON THE CROSSROAD OF CLIFF ROAD AND THE RING OF KERRY IN WATERVILLE iRELAND. THE TOWN ITSELF WAS A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE iRISH COASTAL VILLAGE THAT EXISTS ON TOURISM. CHARLIE CHAPLIN WAS THEIR MOST DISTINGUISHED GUEST. THE TOWN HAS EVEN ERECTED A BRONZE STATUE IN HIS HONOR RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN. IT IS VERY COOL! Our time there was spent at the Huntsman Club which was provided to us through RCI. The accomadations were outstanding. We had a fireplace, whirlpool and sauna right in our unit! In the morning I would fish at the break of light in the Ballenskellig Bay and then return to the apartment where me wife would have a bowl of porridge with fresh blackberries that she had picked herself. A spot of the "Irish:" in the coffee to warm me up and then a little lovin with me wife of 25years would just start the days out fine. We could not have asked for a better place. We read some reviews on trip advisor that had us worried but after staying there all I can say is those who wrote those reviews must have been very spoiled individuals. I thought maybe we just got lucky and got the good unit but David, the manager let me walk through all the units and they were all just as nice as the one we were in. One of the reviews the writer complained that he was going to have to pay extra for the electric so he didn't use the whirlpool or the sauna. Well it says right in the lterature that you would have to pay for electricity. We used the hotub 3 times and the sauna 4 timers and our electric bill at the end of the week was a whomping 13.5 euros. Another complaint we read was that there were water stains on the walls. Well yes there was evidence of some water stains and i believe that the original designer made a mistake in using wallpaper. The stains were not that bad in any of the units. And what is one supposed to expect from a resort that faces directly out to the Ballinskellig Bay and the North Atlantic???? We give The Huntsman Club a 12 on a scale of 10, we felt it was that good. Two steps from our unit was the restaurant aptly named The Huntsman Club Restaurant. It was superb. An interesting mix of Thai and traditional Irish dishes complimented the menu. My wife and I celebrated our twenty fifth wedding anniversary with dinner in the restaurant and were happy beyond words. All I can say about the food there is WOW. some of the best and I have eaten all over the world from Dutch Harbor in the Bering Sea to Mexico and across the ocean to Rome and I don't think I could put any other restaurant even in the same class with this place. I had a rack of lamb chops that came apart with the fork and my wife had the local organic salmon and both dinners were just fantastic. They had their own house fish chowder that was delectable. We finished dinner off with a classic chocolate cake thing that I don't even remeber exactly what it was because I was so filled with the amazing dinner that we had. It was a perfect setting for our anniversary dinner and we even had the local pastor of the catholic church redo our vows which really topped off the week. I would recommend the Huntsman Club to anyone that wants to enjoy a little piece of heaven on earth!

6 Thank captdennis
florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

my experience was quite like dolingv wrote about. the best thing i can say about the place was that it had a wonderful view over the water and close to the mountains. the whole place had a musty smell and the furniture was all worn. the water pressure was very low. the unit has a sauna and a jacuzzi tub, but we did not use them because we had to pay for all of the electricity we used for the week.
There was no internet available to us. we could not find any laundry services around the area. the parking situation was very poor. we had to talk nicely to the toilets to get them to flush. it was a good thing that i did not need to use a phone because there was no phone or phone service in the unit.

the closest place to drive was cahersiveen, which had a little bit of action. all of the bigger sight-seeing places were quite a drive away.

it was close to the shops and pubs in waterville. it was no problem for us to be out all nite, and then walk 2 minutes to get to the unit. We went hiking through the hiking trails in the area and got a lot of great pictures.

waterville was a nice place to stay. but i would recommend staying at a bed and breakfast, or one of the other lodges in the area.

i am going to post a picture of the view from our unit, and another picture of the inside of the unit. I could not find any pictures of the place before going there.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank zugpyler
Toronto, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2009

These units have seen better days. The Huntsman Lodge and Restuarant are now under separate ownership. Our unit was functional, but was really in need of some updated decor. The wallpaper was water-stained throughout the whole unit, upstairs and down. The carpets and funiture really could have used some cleaning. We re-arranged the furniture to give us better functionality, and I don't think anyone had cleaned under them in years! We found a bag of rotten potates in one of the kitchen cupboards. We were lucky to have 4 of everything for dishes and glasses and ended up purchasing a bowl to be able to make salads. Okay...so it's really only a place to lay your head at night. The patio doors front on the roadway which runs along the shore. The beach was nice to walk on and the sunsets were spectaular! Waterville is a very quite sea-side town. It you want to go on a holiday with more action, I would suggest staying in Dingle, on the Dingle Peninsula. I highly suggest an excursion to the Skellig Islands to climb to the 7'th century monastry. The Ring of Kerry is a lovely spot, and I would certainly visit again, but would definately choose different self-catering lodings.

1 Thank dolingv
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville
Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin
#8 of 11 in Waterville
Brookhaven Guest House
Brookhaven Guest House
#2 of 11 in Waterville

Been to The Huntsman Club? Share your experiences!