“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Restaurant

The Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 97 Restaurants in Athlone
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Irish, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Blissfully located upon the shores of Lough Ree, The Restaurant at Wineport Lodge enjoys an incomparable setting on the edge of Ireland's peaceful inland waterways. Guests can enjoy a warm welcome from our friendly team and with it, an innovative approach to modern and attentive hospitality. Famously delicious contemporary cuisine accompanied by an eclectic, carefully selected wine list is always on the menu, with the most flavoursome local produce regularly appearing as a daily special. The Restaurant at Wineport Lodge is a truly memorable dining experience.
Dublin Ireland
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The setting, the food, the service - all excellent. For a special occasion this is the place to go. I would recommend Summer time more than winter as the views over the lake are lost in the early darkness of winter, but would be spectacular in summer. They have daily value meals at around €25 a person; we (2 people) had starters, steaks and desert for €100, but we choose from the chef’s special menu which is a little more expensive. My steak was one of the best I have ever had; my companion commented that their sauce was slightly over seasoned.

• Visited January 2013

Kilcornan, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food was Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

While in Athlone for a day we decided to take a trip to the wineport, we were only going in for a coffee and decided to have a Steak that was aged for 28 Days, I have to say as I have been to many top class restaurants in Ireland and this has to be the best ever steak I got, it was just amazing, I can't fault. X the view was fab and staff were very friend, would highly recommend going here and hope to eat here soon again!!!

Longford, Ireland
“fantastic valentines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

myself and my partner went to wineport restaurant on 18.02.2013.bit late for valentines but we just had to treat ourself. now on arrival we were treated with canapes a million thanks to the chefs .we had early bird food was fantastic and service was very professional we enjoyed every min we were there .the view from the restaurant was breath taking at 6pm the sun was setting couldnt be more romantic that that . deidre the receptionist is a great girl every request was taken onto due consideration by her . great food great staff .thanks you for giving us a nice night out.k&k

• Visited February 2013
Athlone, Ireland
“Absolutely Dreadful!!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I left this review until today in the hope that I would be calmer, perhaps just a little!! Last Thursday 31.01.2013, my partner and I had booked dinner at Wineport. I had been there before and regarded it as over-rated. However that was quite a while ago and hoped for a different outcome. The Christmas voucher we had was handy and also took the sting out of the experience. I certainly would not have paid the 112.95EU for this effort.
On our arrival and entering the establishment we heard a roar of a greeting which could only be described as belonging in a "farm-yard". I am quite deaf, but believe me - this "beggered belief"!! We were asked to wait in the bar area and got some drinks, then placed our order. All fine so far.
When seated initially in the dining room we found our table moved from side to side and we were promptly moved to another table - complete with it's own air-conditioning - a megga draft!!! Starters were ok - I had a mozerella cheese starter and my partner had the tiger-prawns. They were in short supply - two medium and one "tiddler".
Next the mains - Henry had steak - asked for and got it just how he liked it - medium/rare, but the side order of green beans were in quite a suspect watery cold conction/sauce!! His chips were positively pickled with salt (designed by restaurants of course to keep your thirst going) and the accompanying potatoes were soapy in texture and my mother used to refer to these as "poteens" and would never allow them near a table - she said her dad used to give such to the pigs!!! My meal - well this is the real "Blip" of the night - I asked for the duck. Now I do appreciate that the "yuppie" way to eat this dish may be rare - but I do not eat anything with blood showing...... I sent it back saying that I didn't eat "raw" food. The chef must simply have flipped it on the grill and sent it back out. I was furious, but I was asked if I would like something else. At this point my partner was more than half way through his meal and what would he do - watch me eating another meal - or me watch him finish his!!!! I told them to wrap up the thing - the dogs would like it!! Surely if asked how one would like steak the same should follow on anything else!! We were after all the bill-payers, or the employer for that short space of time in the restaurant!! The deserts were "nice", nothing special (mind you - I am reknowned for mine!). Then the bill - POSITIVELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!!! The only way to justify a charge like is to give the customer what they asked for. I would NEVER-EVER recommend this restaurant to anyone. I do hope that the proprietors read this review and pull up your socks - the T.V. and those who obviously want to "be seen" there is what you are relying on to get your custom. What a load of cobblers!!
Teresa

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 129Teresa
Ireland
“Beautiful meal but expensive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went to Wineport early November for my birthday. It was late evening and so we did not get to see an view or the lake. We did have a 'window' table though. The food was lovely but was very over priced. Prompt service and did feel a little rushed towards the end of the night while eating dessert, having our coffees. A must for a special occasion.

• Visited November 2012