“Great stay had!”

Athlone Springs Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights, even though its not in the most scenic of locations, its in a business park area, didn't bother us at all. We were greeted by the lovely receptionist, who was very helpful telling us the information of the hotel. We got to our room and I was delighted with it! It was just as I had expected to be, a great big bed, that was very comfortable! The room was nice and warm, and so was the bathroom, we didn't touch the heating control at all. Shower was amazing, very powerful, It was very clean also.

We had dinner that was included in our deal, we were both starving as we had just got there, so we were glad we could be fitted in for dinner in the restaurant at such short notice.

My husband had the Chowder for starter, and I had Pea and Bacon soup, both lovely. We both had Sirloin steak for the main, there was an €8 supplement charge each, but we didn't mind. Really enjoyed the meal!

The bar is a bit on the small side, but the lads behind the bar make up for it! haha They were great, very nice and chatty, especially Conor and Pat, Conor went above and beyond when our TV would not work, ( this was at 1am) fair play, he got it going! All the boys were great, and I had a lovely Blue lagoon cocktail, that are only €5 on a Saturday,good value. It was also nice on the Saturday afternoon, the manager came around and spoke with people, had proper conversations with them. He asked us were we staying with them, we said yes, and he asked how we were enjoying it so far. Think its a nice personal touch, that I have not come across in other hotels.

Breakfast was good, good choice, although I couldn't eat much of it due to being hungover, you know yourself! LOL I blame the cocktails! haha

All in, I would definitely recommend this hotel, staff, rooms and food all excellent. If its a nice relaxing stay you want, go for it!

Not a Spa person so cannot comment on that.

1  Thank steverus
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Steverus,

Thank you so much for your review and the comments their in.

so glad you had a good time.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here approximately 6 months ago with our 2 young children and returned in October with friends. Tara the receptionist could not have done any more to welcome us and make our stay as enjoyable as it was on both occasions. To dine in the restaurant was expensive but the food was beautiful. Breakfast was excellent, buffet style so you could pick and choose which was great for the kids as well as the adults. Rooms was spacious and very clean and the beds were huge and comfortable. Staff were very pleasant and helpful and are a credit to this hotel. A visit to Zen leisure and spa is a must during your stay! I was very impressed with this hotel especially the staff as my previous occupation was in hotel management. Can't wait to come back!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night recently, with a deal rush voucher we had received as a gift. Im not sure whether dinner menu was specific to deal rush customers but it was very poor, cold soup, main course very dissapointing, overall a bad experience, on the plus side the staff were very nice and helpful. The bedroom was quite comfortable but the bathroom was cold and smelled of stale urine. I will not be returning.

Dear Sexymama68,

Thank you for your review which i am obviously very disappointed with but to that end perhaps your would be so good as to contact me where I can discuss our shortcomings in detail.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Just returned from a 2night stay in Athlone Springs. Have to agree with the previous reviewer ; in fact I think we may have been allocated the same room! Bathroom was chilly ; lighting was very poor making it impossible to read ; telephone - impossible to hear person on the line, making contact with reception very difficult; no shower cap supplied . However , all staff were exceptionally helpful, especially Paul on reception who ensured that our request for a quiet room was met.

Dera IrelandJosephine,

Thank you for your review and the comments you made. I wonder did you have your Thermostat turned up in your room as this does dictate the temperature in the room. If you would be so good as to perhaps call me me so as I can get to the bottom of these issues and restore your confidence in our product.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight at the Athlone Springs Hotel recently on a business trip. I have often stayed at the Athlone Springs before and have always found it to be comfortable and welcoming.

We arrived late in the evening and were given a very warm and efficient welcome by Paul on reception who checked us in and allocated us a quiet room on the second floor with nearby access to the hotel leisure centre.

We were disappointed however, to find that the room was very cold - this was however remedied quickly by turning on the thermostat. The bathroom, despite being pleasantly appointed in appearance, remained freezing cold and we had to brace ourselves each time we entered it during our stay.

We had some difficulty operating the television but managed to work it out, but there seemed to be an issue with the lighting - some lights/lamps not working or "crackling" and the bedside telephone crackled to such a degree that we could barely hear Paul in reception on the other end of the line when we reported our difficulties. A member of staff did respond promptly however, to ensure that the television was working, but not help out with the lights or telephone.

We did however, have a comfortable nights sleep and the following morning I got up at 7.30 to go for an early swim in the hotel pool. However, when I signed in at the Leisure Centre desk and asked for a towel I was told apologetically that there were none available - luckily I had a towel from home in my sports bag. The pool water was also unfortunately decidedly cool.

I was however, delighted with the breakfast menu. They have updated it since our last stay here and I can honestly say that you won't find a more varied and innovative breakfast menu in any hotel of this rating. I chose the bruschetta with mushroom, tomato, goats cheese and pesto which was beautifully prepared and presented - my husband went for the traditional full Irish. There was also a lovely selection of continental items and their brown soda bread was fantastic.

I can definitely say that the hotel has excellent staff and serves wonderful food. We were however, definitely disappointed by our room. But I would be hopeful that this is just an exception that can happen at times and I would have to say that with previous good experiences of this hotel behind us, we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room near the leisure centre end of the hotel but away from the rear which faces ont...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Alcudiafan,

Thank you for your review of our property and you comments particularly regarding our menus and food in general.
I was disappointed in some of the failings you identified and we have made your comments the focus of a maintenance and training review we carried out recently. Hopefully on a future visit you will see the benefits of this review.

Thanks again

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I use the hotel for business regularly. It has very high quality spacious bedrooms with good en suite bathrooms. All the common areas are comfortable and pleasant. The Gym and pool are very good facilities. Its a quiet place a couple of miles outside Athlone. Its probably easier to stay if you have a car. The staff are really good here. They are friendly and helpful. I was surprised someone found it cold, its usually very warm particularly in the bedrooms. Breakfast is just average served in a very pleasant breakfast room. I find the staff here much quicker and more responsive than Raddisson and the Sheraton in town. Otherwise there isn't much between the three hotels. The other two are convenient for shops etc

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Cabrinindungarvan,

Thank you for you kind comments regarding our hotel. Perhaps on a future visit you would make yourself known so as I can thank you in person.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I liked this hotel, especially the room, that was attractive and well appointed without being fussy!

I could have given this a 5* rating if the catering was more intelligent and prepared for my Vegan dietary requirements. The issue here is one I do come across quite often - chef or catering managers who don't realise that Vegans want (and need) to have protein in their meals just like any other human being. Yes, I had a great stir-fried vegetable dish with rice but vegetables was all of it! Uh? And, being expected to pay the same only adds insult to injury... and, just think about it, a form of dietary injury is what it is. How many meat eaters would pay full price for a plate of veg?

Anyway, the front of house staff we're lovely, esp. at breakfast time, so full marks there.

As I said at the beginning, I did like the ambience at this hotel... hope you do too.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Russel J.

Thank you for your positive review. You and I spoke on the day in question regarding Your dietary requirements and the fact that we did not have the Tofu you would have liked. Allow me to apologize again for our failing in this regard.
we have made you comments the subject of a food and beverage review that we carry out regularly here at the hotel and we now carry a more varied menu item list for Vegans.

Thanks again for what was on the whole a positive review.