“Good value weekend break”

Athlone Springs Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Dublin
“Good value weekend break”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed in the athlone springs on saturday night with a friend. We got an excellent deal with a voucher for B+B and evening meal. The hotel is situated on the tuam road out of athlone. The hotel is overlooking a car dealership and a housing estate so not exactly picturessque. The hotel is about 5 minutes drive from the town centre for shopping etc. There is plenty of free parking at the hotel.
We had facials in the spa. The staff there were excelent- friendly and pleasent and the whole experience was very relaxing. I could not fault it.
We had lunch in the bar and three course dinner with wine in the restuarant that night (part of our deal). On both occasions the quality of the food and the options available were excellent. There were some issued with service however- we were waiting half an hour for soup and bread at lunch time and at dinner we were not informed of the need to order side orders seperately- we could not get the attention of any waiting staff to recifiy it for quiet some time (the restualrant was very busy) and when our side (chips) eventually arrived we had finshed our main.
The rooms are clean bright and spacious. The bathrooms are clean and the shower was Huge!
Breakfast was served from 7;30 to 10;30 and was a buffet of hot and cold foods. Good selection and again quality was good.
We went for a swim in the leisure centre- swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, My only complaint is that the pool was cold. The facilitites are good and the pool bigger than i would expect in a hotel.
Overall our experience was good. Some minor issues with service at meal times but overall I enjoyed my stay and would visit again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Catlin B,

Thank You for your kind comments regarding you stay and for the positive feed back on where we need to do some training. Without feedback we can not improve.

Once again Thank You

Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
dublin
Reviewed May 20, 2013

i stayed one night at this hotel , on arrival the reception staff were very pleasant . our room was large clean comfortable with decent size bathroom. the hotel was quite busy with lots of kids which caused a problem with noise into the night but when i phoned reception a very pleasant young man said he would deal with it straight away which he did .
our evening meal was very nice with good choice i just felt some of the staff could have benefited from being taught how to serve wine and indeed serve food , but it didn't upset our evening .next morning breakfast was quite basic and hot food was v v slow to be replaced. there was a great team of cleaners polishing glass at reception ,glass on side stairs outside windows inside windows if i had have stood still for few moments i would have got a good polish myself. did not use the leisure center due to time constraints .
location of hotel is not near center of athlone an really out on its own. but we did have a pleasant night away .

Room Tip: view of front of hotel a little better that at back of hotel . book table for dinner when you book r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Louise D,

Thank you so much for your review of our property here in Athlone. I am delighted that we met with all your expectations when choosing a business hotel and for the record we have recently had our WI-FI upgraded to a much faster speed.

Again Thank you for your review !

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Ideal hotel for meetings conferences etc. Hotel is comfortable, food good and has a leisure centre and spa which unfortunately I didn't get a chance to experience this time. Plenty of parking available. Wifi is available but the speed is slow.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Louise D
Dear Louise D,

Again Thank you for your review !

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Myself and my daughter stayed on the Friday Fever package. Dinner: Chicken Cesar Salad was served with no chicken, Chowder and Brown Bread NO bread was served. A jug of water was served and after drinking two glasses my daughter noticed lots of large gray flakes floating in both our waters. My dessert spoon was covered in a sticky substance. It was embarrassing having to complain so much.

Spa: we both had our nails done, the treatment was advertised as an hour- my appointment was for 11 am. I was called in at 11.20 and out at 11.55am. After been quoted and paying for the two nail treatments, an hour and a half later I was approached by the therapist and told I owed another €10. I went to reception to speak with the hotel manager. The staff in the reception did their best not to get the manager for me and the male receptionist argued with me telling me I was in the wrong that the Friday deal only included one €10 spa voucher per room and not per person. When they finally got the manager she got a printout of the deal and agreed I was right.

No glass in bathroom.

Breakfast was good.

I have no idea how this hotel could have a 4 star rating. What was supposed to be a relaxing night away for myself and my daughter was stressful.

Room Tip: Room 205 view was of delivery yard of supermarket.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Siobhan B
Michael H, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Siobhan B ,

Naturally I am very dissapointed to see your comments regarding your stay with us here at athlone springs more for the fact that much of your complaint it would seem was due to us badly advising you as to your package entitlements and how we dealt with your difficultys when you raised them.

On the whole our comments regarding food, service and indeed our staff here are very positive and i am dissapointed to see that we were not up to our usual standard for you both during your stay.

Please accept my appologies for us not living up to our normal high standards.

Cork.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently stayed for two days and I must say it was very relaxing. The pool and sauna really made me feel like a new man after the long drive and the rooms were great. We had a bite to eat in the bar and I ordered the seafood pasta with tomato sauce and I pleasently surprised at the quantity of mussels in the dish. The only complaint would be the pints if Guinness were pretty poor and one of my friends couldn't finish his.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sheroeire,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel twice in the last month both for very different reasons but on both occasions, we received value for money, a warm welcome, friendly customer service & an excellent overall stay!! Firstly I stayed there within a group, it was my sister s hen. I arranged the whole thing from Australia, no easy task but it proved hassle free as I had the helpfulness & ongoing input via emails from the hotel s reservations manager Karyn Berrigan. 15 girls enjoyed a fun filled weekend fully catered for by the hotel without any hiccups!! We received such friendly service & value for money that I then took my mother back there for a weekend of pure pampering, again hassle free, only this time we experienced the luxury there spa facilities had to offer & enjoyed the hotels entertainment that night!! Overall I can't recommend this hotel enough & there friendly, welcoming staff only entice one back again & again

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Kilfree29
Dear Kilfree,

Delighted you enjoyed both stays with us. I think I may have spoken with you and your mum during your stay.

Thanks again for your Great Review.

Tullamore, Ireland
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just attended a wedding at this hotel could not find a fault on any aspect great food, service and staff were very professional attentive and very friendly. Rooms were spacious with good beds and great bathroom facilities. Leisure facilities an added bonus. Would certainly recommend to anyone looking for wedding venue in the midlands.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosemarie M
Dear Rose 1555,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay and the wedding you attended here in athlone.

It is true to say that our wedding business is one of many areas of the hotel where we have been experiencing big growth due to the consistancy of our product, our new favours now included in our wedding packages and our over all attention to detail with Nicola our dedicated wedding Planner with you every step of the way.

Kind Regards again.