“Could have been better”

Athlone Springs Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just spent 4 nights in this hotel. Took advantage of the halloween special which was good value. We went on a family break and enjoyed the hotel but i feel it was let down on a few points.

On the plus side: The food was really top class and reasonabily priced. My daughter really enjoyed the kids club and while i thought that they were eating for too long she put me in my place by stating that she really enjoyed it.

The staff were very friendly (in general).

Rooms were a nice size.
Swimming pool was very good.

The Bad Bits:
Problems at check in with our booking. Staff while friendly seemed to be out of their depth. For instance asked for 2 items while having dinner. firstly some crayons that my daughter needed to colour in the menu provided by the hotel and a straw for her soft drink. These never materialised. The restaurant was not that busy at the time. Bar service extremely slow and ponderous.

Rooms were only given a casual clean. Beds not made properly and dust left on tables.

Overall i enjoyed the stay but would have rated higher if the little thing could be sorted.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Nora O, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

nmj96201
Thank you for taking the time to write your review- your feedback is invaluable to us.
I was disappointed to read that we let ourselves down on the little things. Following your review I have followed up with the management and the staff to discuss the comments and issues you have raised.

I don hope your experiences won't deter you from returning to the hotel in the future. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

There are newer reviews for Athlone Springs Hotel

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stopped into the Cedar Bar for some food while meeting my mother for lunch. Our order was taken quite swiftly and we waited and waited and waited with no sign of it to come. People who had arrived after us got their food before us (we ordered Turkey and Ham which is most likely not cooked to serve), in all we were waiting 45 minutes from when we ordered to when we got it. The bar was busy too and the staff didn't pay much attention to anyone. Food was ok but defiantly not worth the wait.

Bathrooms are obviously not checked too often either as they smelled awful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Daniel k 89,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I appreicate the feedback.
I'm not to sure exactly what caused the delay in service on the day that you stopped by. It would certainly not be the norm on our daily specials to have such a delay in service.

I do hope it wont deter you from returning to dine with us again.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I went to the Athlone Springs with my husband & 5 year old for their Halloween Package. We had never heard of this hotel before, until I came across them while looking for a mid-term break deal.
Our room was very nice, spacious & modern (as is the rest of the hotel), we found all the staff helpful & friendly. Our daughter attended the kids club which she loved! We met the girls who were doing the kids club and they told us where they would be & we were welcome to come & check in on them anytime. In the evening, kids club them gave them their dinner (& dessert), which gave us a chance to chill out and have our dinner in the restaurant. Which brings me to the best part; the food. On the first night we had bar food which was lovely, and on the second night we had a 4 course dinner in the restaurant which was included in our package. It was the best food I've had in a long time! If I didn't live so far away I'd be going back for the food!
We also went to the pool; great facilities, very clean.
I'm not afraid to say if I don't like a hotel, but it was hard to find any faults here. If I had to pick a down side it would be the location; its a 5-10min drive into town (we paid just under 10euro in a taxi) and its surrounded by industrial estates/houses, so there's no spectacular view but personally I don't go to a hotel to look out the window.
I'll be recommending it to my friends!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Mongo22b,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review it really was a pleasure to read.
I'm delighted that yuor daughter enjoyed the kids camp. happy kiddes= happy parents. We have a great new head chef on board so it's always great to read such glowing and positvive reviews about both the food an the menus.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

... our room was gorgeous and comfortable and clean, and the bathroom massive and modern, but I was unable to see clearly at night/early-morn in the blackness of the marble tiling and hope that in "accessible" baths that the toilets are higher/taller as I unfortunately fell..... Nonetheless, the beauty of the rooms and the friendliness of the staff mean that I will certainly certainly return!

Room Tip: Ask for handicapped-accessible room if you need one...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Judi Bd,
Thank you for your feedback it is much appreciated. In the accessible rooms the bathroom are actually wet rooms and as such the showers can facilitate chairs and the toilets are that much higher. Make sure that on your next visit you request one.

I do hope that you will be returning to stay with us again soon.

Noshea@athlonespringshotel.com

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I was at a wedding there in September and the bars are the biggest let down to this place , the glasses are disgustingly dirty and greasy and when you ask for a replacement glass it's worse again . When brought to the managers attention about the glasses the reply was " they are probably being washed in the dishwasher in the kitchen with the plates and its not my job to care " . The stock being forced on you is eg: Pepsi instead of coke and many more of this ! We made the most of our 4 day stay by getting out to athlone town as much as possible but we were at a wedding so we had to be there on 2 nights ! I sent a email & a letter to the hotel of my complaints and got no reply ! All in all avoid this hotel at all costs , Alan

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank akaalanc
Reviewed October 18, 2012

i have stayed at this hotel a few times now and each time i look forward to the next stay. the staff cant do enough for you and the rooms are clean and spacious. Food was ok in the bar i would prefer a wider choice on the menu. the breakfast is HUGE you could eat enough to do the whole day.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Nora O, General Manager at Athlone Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Laurah385,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. What better way to start my Saturday morning than by reading such positive comments. I'm interested to get your feedback on the bar menu- we have launched our new menu this week and will be looking for feedback from our loyal customers. Only the dishes that rate highest with our guests will stay !!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Just back from a weekend break in your hotel and have to say it was a great experience. The service was really friendly. Food was great and the rooms were very comfortable. I will definitely be back to the hotel again!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Fiona 1974,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and such a lovely review at that.
We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us soon- make sure you sign up for the ezine to get all the latest offers and we have some fantastic ones coming up. MAybe next time you might get a chance to avail of our treatments or the fantastic facilities in the leisure centre.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Noshea@athlonespringshotel.com