“Home from home with 4 star food !!!”

Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed November 15, 2009

I just spent a weekend in Glasson Golf Hotel with a bunch of friends. We received a fantastic welcome and could not fault any of the service we received over the weekend. Unfortunately , due to torrential rain, the golf course was closed. However, Julie, on the desk, was able to organise golf locally for us in Mount Temple where we had a lovely round of golf , and when there, received further warm welcomes.

We ate locally on one night in the Wineport Restaurant, which was quite expensive. The second night we ate in the hotel and the food, in my opinion, was better and more reasonably priced.

I will definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club

Reviewed August 30, 2009

I can honestly say that we have never received such a lovely warm welcome in any of the many hotels that we have visited before - and what a lovely difference it makes!

The Glasson Golf Hotel had already impressed me with the gracious and uncomplaining way Marie (the reservations manager) had accomadated us by changing our booking twice and on arrival we were thrilled to be told we had been upgraded to a deluxe room with a balcony.

As we were celebrating a birthday that made our stay extra special and the room was ... divine! So airy and spacious, spotlessly clean, complimentary wi-fi, tea & coffee making facilitiy, nice lighting, fabulous balcony overlooking the golf course - with the exceptional hospitality of the staff, their warm wecome and attentive service, the airy, elegant reception with spectacular Lough Ree views hrough the glass atrium, plus the gorgeous deluxe room with beautiful, luxurious bathroom with chic almost hexagonal shower cubical, twin basins and large bath we really did feel like we were at a five star hotel! Also on our landing was a couple of really amazing massage chairs/couches which were also complimentary and a really super luxury touch.

Breakfast was a little disorganised as the hotel was very full, but I had some of the best porridge that I have ever tasted and the staff were very friendly and eager to help. There was a varied breakfast buffet with all the usual plus cheeses, delicious pasteries and scrambled eggs with chives which made a nice change. Also the coffee was GREAT - and I am very hard to please when it comes to hotel coffee!

I was suprised at how beautifully the restaurant had been transformed into a very elegant setting for dinner. There were lovely crisp white linen table cloths, beautifully foldd fanned cloth napkins and really super service from super efficient and friendly, helpful, cheery staff, which in my experience is a really rare thing these days.

Apart from those magic massage chairs the Glasson also has steam room/sauna and gym which we did not get around to visiting and the welcome info in the room also says they can organise cruises round the bay and even a viking ship! Wonderful!

We were just so very impressed by the Glasson Golf Hotel and its excellent, friendly staff and delighted that we had chosen the Glasson Golf Hotel out of the wide range of hotels in the area.

I called into the Wineport Lodge which is very close to the Glasson Golf Hotel as I had been impressed by their website but thought their prices were just too much, which was why we chose the Glasson.

After being shown around the Wineport Lodge, charming as it was with its beautiful waterside setting and spectacular lough view deluxe rooms which were very stylish I was even more pleased that we got such amazingly good value at the Glasson which was really almost as nice at possibly half the price.

I also saw the Shreraton in Athlone Town Centre and was equally delighted that we had chosen The Glasson Hotel instead as the village of Glasson and surrounding area is so beautiful and the Glasson hotel's long leafy drive and wonderful grounds and golf course are such a realxing setting as opposed to Athlone itself, which is just a short drive from Glasson.

The drive down from Dublin took us less than an hour and Athlone and Glasson is really a lovely place to visit with the stunning scenery, Athlone Castle and historic attractions, beautiful loughs and Shannon River, charming traditional country pubs and great shopping in two modern shopping centres in Athlone town centre. There are plenty of boat trips on offer also (which we wished we had time to take) which also makes it an ideal weekend getaway destination for those who don't want the hassle of a long drive.

Despite the fact that neither of us have the slightest interest in golf The Glasson Golf Hotel is now far and away our favourite 4 star hotel and as Athlone is such a short and easy drive away and has so much to offer we will definitely be coming soon and hopefully often for the best value romantic luxury weekend ever!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We travel around Ireland and we stayed 3 nights in Glasson. We had a lovely room with a breathtaking view on the Lough Ree. The food was absolutely gorgeous and the staff extremely friendly! I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to spend a few day around Athlone.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2009

We have stayed at the Glasson Golf Hotel on numerous occasions. The fact that we keep going back is testament enough to the fact that we just love the place. Being avid golfers, we love the beautifully-manicured golf course which is a true but fair test of golf for all level of golfers. Bedrooms are big, bright and airy with large bathrooms featuring his 'n' hers sinks, large walk-in showers and high quality toiletries. Dinner is served by friendly staff in the old house attached to the hotel in a large, atmospheric dining room overlooking the lake and golf course. You can look forward to a wonderful nights sleep in extremely comfortable beds in bedrooms overlooking the golfcourse and lake. If you enjoy a decent golf course or fancy a leisurely boat trip on a lake, if you want good food and a wonderful nights sleep all within a short hop of great shops and choice restaurants, then Glasson Golf Hotel is a good starting point.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Booked Glasson on the recommendation of Friends and it was good advise. From the moment we arrived staff were very friendly always ready with a smile and a greeting.
The room was spacious with lots of little extras, like underfloor heating, Iron instead of troueser press. Best of all was the wonderfull view and a balcony to sit out on to enjoy a glass of wine.
I don't golf but my partner enjoyed golf while I had a massage which was great.
We dined in the Bar on the first evening which was good. On the second evening we dined in the Restaurant, this was wonderful and the chef has to be commended on a great meal. Again the Restuarant staff were very friendly and service was excellent.
We will definitely be back and look forward ot our next stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2009

To start on a good note - lovely hotel, in a fantastic setting. And the serving staff were excellent for the nightmare night they were about to have.

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for Valentines night 2009 on a special deal - bed, breakfast & dinner for €260, which I thought was reasonable for Valentines night.

Alarm bells started ringing when I got a phone call the next day telling me that the only dinner slot they had available was for 10pm! This was blamed on too many bookings from too many sources. (Simple solution - don't take so many bookings.)

Staff were friendly at check-in. I enquired again if we could eat a little earlier and was told to come down to the bar a little early and it might be possible.
We arrived down at half 9. Went to the bar to get a drink and the barman asked me what time I was due to eat.
I said 10 and he actually snorted and said, "You'll be lucky!".

Turned out he was right, we didn't sit down for dinner until 11:30!!

It was very difficult to talk to the manager because every other person in the restaurant was grabbing her to complain about the service and the length of time they were waiting to be seated, or the length of time they were waiting for their courses to arrive (45 mins for soup to arrive in one conversation I overheard).
I managed to stop her twice, both times she went off to check and never came back. In the mean time I was spending money in the bar with no offer of a free drink!

Once seated - as I said the staff were very good. You could see they'd had a terrible night but were still smiling. And our food was excellent, with no delays in service. No doubt this was due to the fact that there were only 3 tables left in the restaurant at this time.

On checking out I commented on the problems from the night before and was told that the chef had only been there 3 months so was not used to such big crowds! I'm sorry but what nonsense. How on earth did he get hired in the first place if this was the case. Looks to me like there were too many people booked in for dinner and not enough staff hired to cope with the demand. Dreadful, dreadful management.

And final nail in the coffin - not even an offer of a cent of the price. Customer Service I think may be dead at the Glasson. From the management at least.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ter12
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Booked a one night stay at the glasson golf hotel for myself and the wife.

On arrival at the hotel met by the friendlist reception staff i have met in a long time. Not the standard grumpy, disinterested staff that most irish hotels seem to hire nowadays. We were upgraded on arrival to a lakeview room. Had a problem with a taxi being late for an important appointment but the response from the reception was fantastic who made sure we got there on time.

Used the bar and restaraunt. Bar staff really friendly and efficient.

Would definetly go back.