“weekend in athlone” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 20 Athlone B&B and Inns
Athlone, Ireland
“weekend in athlone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed in Coosan Cottage weekend of the 24th August.Myself my wife and 2 kids.Tommy made us feel very welcome,and he was great with the kids.We had dinner in Athlone Saturday night which was very good.On returning to Coosan Cottage we decided to have a few drinks in the bar with other residents and some locals.It was very intertaining.A wonderfull song from one of the locals was Caladonia the best version i have ever herd.2 hours of great fun and craic in the bar.Coosan Cottage is a wonderfull BnB.Well worth a visit beautifull bedrooms.Tommy is also great in the guitar.We had breakfast on both mornings.Organic eggs and bacon on tommys famous homemade bread and homsmade cerial as well.Thankyou Tommy for a very enjoyable stay.Looking forward to coming back.Ger

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We would just like to thank tommy and paddy for a lovely weekend of Craic and Cecil. We visited this place 2 weekends ago and did not know what to expect. On arrival we were greatest by the owner tommy and were shown to our room promtly. I couldn't help but notice on our way to the room the cosy little bar area that felt like I was in my own sitting room
The. Room was immaculate and spacious and everything was set for a good weekend.
We enjoyed the evening with the locals and had a mighty singsong with great backing from the owner on the guitar. Not forgetting paddy the barman giving us his version of James Connolly.
The breakfast was excellent and really set us up for the day. Really enjoyed everything about this place. Check it out. Will be back real soon guys

• Stayed August 2013
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We received such a warm welcome from Tommy and he looked after us superbly throughout our weekend stay. Our room was had a comfy kingsized bed and plenty of room for our sons cot. We enjoyed a relaxing evening in the bar and whilst evening food is not served you can order a takeaway for delivery to eat with your freshly pulled pint of Guinness. The hotel is situated on a lovely quite lane which leads down to Lough Ree and is perfect for a morning walk. My only comment would that the lower ground floor rooms lookout onto a leafy passageway which could do with a tidy up. Tommy will bend over backwards to make you welcome and he cooks a great breakfast and will tailor it to your tastes. Good value for money and a very special host.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cowsies
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

The wedding partyI was with took over the Coosan Cottages for 4 days and really settled in. Tommy was a great host and made us feel incredibly welcome. Drinks flowed, songs were sung, great breakfasts were eaten and general merriment was had in a setting that felt like home. To top it all off, it was very reasonable priced. Back of the net and Thanks Tommy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex B
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Coosan Cottage Eco Guesthouse was perfect for our requirements. Tommy the owner could not do enough for us. We were late to arrive and by the time we'd unpacked he'd knocked up a smoked fish chowder with some Irish soda bread, served with a welcome pint of Guiness. He gave us batteries for cameras, helped us print out directions, gave us tips on where to visit next and all of it with good cheer.

One evening we stayed in the bar area and had a sing song. A guitar was passed around and people sang songs or recited poetry by the stove. Classic. Will definitely go again when I'm in Athlone.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have better views, rooms downstairs are possibly a bit quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yorkshire19
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I've just returned from an eight day stay at Coosan Cottage Ecoguesthouse. It is/ was by far the most profound experience of my trip to Ireland. Once arriving at the cottage I was greeted by friend Tommy O'Neill who was/ is welcoming and engaging. Before settling into my room, we sat for a pint or two, chatted and had some get to know you time. I was in Athlone for a mission and that was to discover some of my Irish roots and hopefully meet relatives still residing in Athlone. Once settled I took a look see at the cemetary across the street to see if I could find family names. I did and took photos of plots for further research. Later on that evening, members of the Coosan Community began coming in for a few pints and lo and behold, I was meeting people who would ultimately lead me in the direction of my ultimate goal. The warmth, hospitality and friendliness of Coosan Cottage, staff and the community are incredible. I came with the goal of finding family and that mission was accomplished. I met a lovely cousin who brought me up to speed on the news of my family and there are so much more to meet. More was found however, I found myself being welcomed as a community member as a member of Athlone and where I have made friends (extended family) for life. I highly recommend Coosan Cottage Ecoguesthouse to individuals and families traveling. In fact, the whole town of Athlone is a remarkable and welcoming town. I can see myself lliving there and in the not so distant future. I will be back to what is now my home away from home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank EdwardK613
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We are a family of five from Wexford and needed a B&B for two nights and after ringing a few I called Tommy in Coosan Eco Guesthouse and made a booking. Not knowing what to expect we were hoping things would be just Ok but on arrival Tommy met us at the door and after a nice fun introduction he showed us our room and we were very impressed. We settled in and decided to go up to the in house bar where from the start we were made feel welcome by both the staff and the other local customers and after a while a sing song started and the owner Tommy got out his guitar, brilliant is all we can say. Next morning at breakfast he played loads of attention to the kids and they loved it he even serenaded us at dinner that evening. A fantastic stay and most definitely we will be going back.

The Whelan family from Wexford