“Good quality, comfortable & clean hotel with helpful staff”

Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Dublin
“Good quality, comfortable & clean hotel with helpful staff”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed here whilst attending a wedding which was at the Glasson. Was one of the only hotels left with rooms available for that weekend so was a little reluctant, however I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel!

Firstly when we arrived about an hour before the ceremony at 12pm we were greeted by a lovely lady and we asked if we could check in early (check in is 3pm) she was so accommadating and friendly and within 15 minutes had us in a lovely clean room on the groundfloor. This was great as I wanted to retouch my makeup etc.

The room itself was comfortable, spacious and clean. It was a litte chilly, however the rooms have self controlled radiators so we turned it on for an hour and it was nice and cosy.
When we came back from the wedding at 3am we noticed there was some kind of party going on in the function room, it could have been a wedding or birthday party. There was a fair bit of noise from being so close to the function room, but to be honest I couldn't really complain given it was the room that was so graciously given to us 3 hours before check in.

The next morning we had the full Irish breakfast which was lovely and filling. It was buffet style however there was a gentlemen serving the food to people from the hot buffet which was quite good as it kept the queue running smoothly! If I was to nit-pick I guess the toasting machine was quite slow and there was a mass of people waiting for slices to re-emerge on the other end haha!

Overall a good quality hotel, very fairly priced with lovely smiling staff willing to accommadate!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angelboo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Wirral
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I recently attended a conference at the Shamrock Lodge Hotel and stayed as a resident during the conference.

The staff are very helpful, from the reception who helped out at short notice to print notes, to the kitchen who catered for a range of dietary requirements. All were very polite.

The rooms are good, but could have better TVs. Excellent quiet location but just a 10 minute walk to the town centre.

Would I stay there again?.....Yes. Would I recommend to friends and family?....Yes.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Doug J
Longford, Ireland
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We recently attended this hotel for a wedding. From the minute we reached reception it was perfect. The staff so efficient had us checked in within minutes very friendly & mannerly. We went to our room which was lovely clean spacious etc. Throughout the day the hotel staff was lovely and there when ever wanted. The wedding was perfect and I would highly recommend it for a wedding venue, perfection on the day was noticed.. We will most defiantly will be returning ill be keeping an eye out for wknd offers. Well done to hotel & all staff involved.

Room Tip: Room 102 lovely and beside reception not far to walk .
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kat2o11
Dubin
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I recently attended a wedding in this hotel and one word to describe my experience was amazing. From the decor of the hotel, rooms, food and most importantly the staff. I have never experienced the service and genuine politeness of staff in any other hotel. I will most definitely go to this hotel again and would highly recommend. Can't wait for my next trip!!

1 Thank LeeFDublin
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I won this break on on my local radio station, south east radio, it was for 2adults for 2 nights b&b and evening meals on both evenings. This is a beautiful hotel, which I couldn't fault anything. The staff were by far the friendliest I have ever come across. And were so helpful. One chap in particular helped me search for my phone, when I mislaid it. The bedroom was beautiful, and the food was second to none. Even the manager sitting in the bar looking at the tv, was all smiles. And it makes such a difference. A smile costs nothing, but brightness up everyone's day. Lookin forward to returning with my mother, and this time four friends in November. Hats off to the shamrock lodge hotel. 11 out of 10:-)
'

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Pauline K
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Superb hotel from second we arrived to second we left... absolutely beautiful room lookin out onto the beautiful gardens that surround the hotel.. ideal location 5 mins walk to athlone castle shoppin centre main town.. lady on reception desk was so so nice perfect example of top class staff... only negative wud b d main bar cud do wit a more modern approach but this doesn't affect my overall impression of the hotel.. we'll defo return in the near future thanks to all :-)

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We stay here for the weekend just gone , hotel looks ok at check in but heads downhill from there. The room was ok but we had been given a smoking room with a smell of stale smoke throughout, the bed was so small, poor quality bedding & very uncomfortable. Shower was dirty, rusty shower rail, lime built up on shower head & the kind of shower you would feel dirtier leaving than entering. The toilet has a loose toilet seat, the toilet paper was not nice to use, the shower gel is screwed to the wall, the windows didn't open right, only half the lights worked in the room. Then breakfast was very poor, carvey style where you hand in your breakfast card, would not recommend bothering with the breakfast, it really is one of the poorest I have had for some time.
If back in Arhlone I will try another hotel as this really isn't good enough & the staff didn't care that I found the shower dirty or the breakfast in edible .

1 Thank ClareWithTheHairCom