“Friendly stop-in with great coffee”

The Bastion Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Athlone
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A small quaint cafe serving locally sourced fresh produce with a smile. A mix of healthy lite bites great coffees and home made desserts are all to be had in this character laden building which was part of the bastion of the castle.
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stopped in at this cafe on a walk through Athlone. It was wonderful to step in from the chill and be greeted by a warm atmosphere, friendly staff and great coffee. A must for anyone who happens to be in the area.

1  Thank Kamila08

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I have been coming into Bastion Kitchen for quiet a while now. I am always very happy with the quality of the food and all round customer care.
But on a most recent visit, I became fully aware of the lengths and efforts they go too to facilitate their customers.I recently had to eliminate all grains, corns, yeast, wheat, oats from my diet which was a hugh blow to me as I love my breads and cereals.
But I didn't have to panic at Bastion Kitchen, as the head chef Conner facilitated me with a beautiful rice dish mixed with, vegetables, spices, herbs etc. I now have this every morning instead of my usual poached eggs and spelt bread and I love it. And if I pop in for lunch or dinner, I can avail of their beautiful salads, or their hot meat dish that they have on everyday. This place Is must visit, especially for anyone in my situation.

6  Thank Nocole123
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Great menu and brilliant bread and cakes. Pre theatre menu perfect and closest restaurant to the Dean Crowe theatre.

2  Thank John M
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my pals were in athlone on a stag at the weekend and we stumbled upon this place on Saturday. A great little spot for lunch good soup and a really great sandwich with a pita bread. I'm normally cinical about food but it was all really fresh. We really enjoyed it and the staff are very friendly and approachable.

3  Thank dubnewbie
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Called in here on Easter Saturday afternoon about 30mins before closing time. Unlike other establishments, the staff were friendly and there was no problem in serving a meal so close to closing time. I had the pepper pot stew which was tasty & filling . A generous portion was served with a green salad & spelt bread. A generous mug of coffee also accompanied the meal. My companion opted for the coffee cake which was home made and I am told, exceptional. I would thoroughly recommend a visit.

2  Thank Covey-61