“Small, Friendly and Efficient”
Review of Top Deck Bistro

Top Deck Bistro
Ranked #17 of 106 Restaurants in Athlone
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We arrived in Athlone relatively late and after trying to get into a few different restaurants, we tried our luck here. We didn't have a reservation, so the Maitre d', who turned out to be the owner, said that he'd have a table for us but would need it back an hour later - that was fine by us. The restaurant was very busy so at times, it was a bit hard to attract the waitress' attention. Every table has a button on it to press for service though so not a major issue.
My husband started with Chicken Wings and went on to have the sirloin steak. He thoroughly enjoyed both. I had Vegetable Fajitas for my main, but I found it to be quite oily. Having said that, It tasted great, so I did enjoy it. I highly recommend their Apple Strudel with Ice Cream for dessert - lovely! We were able to watch the Maitre D' navigate the waitresses around and seating people very effiently as they arrived - he definitely ran a tight ship (excuse the pun!).Would definitely come back here, but we'd make sure to book first.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Place a bit small. food is delicious with the steaks cooked exactly as requested. only point I make is that the portions could be a little bigger. dessert fab

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I had dinner in Topdeck with friends recently. It wasn't the most enjoyable experience I've ever had. We waited an hour for our table, which had been reserved. The owner was loud, shouting at staff and kept getting in their way. It was obvious that the restaurant had been over booked. There were many different parties waiting for tables. It was all a bit chaotic. Eventually when we did get our table, we felt it was a bit rushed. The food was good, nothing spectacular. Won't be rushing back again.

4  Thank Frances Q
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was a great find for us - excellent food, service, maritime decor is done with taste. We had dinner for 8 of us while we stayed at the Sheraton. It was recommended to us by Dean as we didn't want to eat at the hotel and I'm glad we went with it. The menu selection suits all and Shauna did a wonderful serving us. We had 4 kids with us and she was helpful to them and they had enough of a selection to chose from also. We were on holiday in Ireland and had one of the most enjoyable with high quality meals here which was reasonably priced. Will be back when in Athlone again and recommended it to our family and friends who live locally.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We chose this restaurant after looking at the website & noting it had mains advertised at €10 midweek and house wines for €15 which we thought would be great value. However when we were given the menus all the mains were approximately €16 and house wines starting at €18. I queried this with the waitress she apologised and got the manager to talk to us. We were told that he had no access to the website to change it! He also mentioned the government had changed the tax when I highlighted that that happened 8 months he just said nothing he could do and would not be honouring the prices advertised by him on his website!! Very bad business so we decided to leave and take out custom elsewhere. Went to thyme restaurant across the road which was fab!

2  Thank gawgal