“Terrible, considering the calibre if restaurants in the town”
Review of My Melody Bistro

My Melody Bistro
Ranked #17 of 108 Restaurants in Athlone
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner here, outdoors, as it was really warm.
We had a starter and main each:

Mussels: these were definitely "off".

Fishcake: something frozen that was simply deep fried in oil that needed to be changed. Ok, but bland.

Burger and chips: the chips were great! The burger was tiny, and had far too much cheese melted over it. Tasted ok.

Steak sandwich: This was just awful. A sirloin (?) steak, with about 50:50 meat to fat, covered in greasy mushrooms on top of a buttered (why?!) ciabatta. There was no way you could eat it as a sandwich, the amount of fat on the steak was unbelievable. A steak sandwich should have thin strips of lean meat, so that there's the possibility if picking it up and eating it. Not a big lump of meat, that you have to spend ages cutting the fat off before eating.

The service was poor because of a crowd, but several times we tried to get the attention of the maitre d, but he seemed totally disinterested.

In the end we just brought our bill to the till with the money and left.

There are many great restaurants in Athlone; I will stick to the ones I know in future!

3  Thank Barneymcc

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stopped here for a late breakfast early lunch kind of thing. Omlets looked really good - my husband had one and they had sandwiches and wraps but my favorite was the potatoe leek soup. Just right. Not too thick, loaded with fresh ingredients and plenty of it.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Called in here Thursday night without a booking and we were seated straight away. The staff were exceptionally pleasant and the owner made it his business to come to our table and welcome us. Atmosphere was buzzing and some guests were enjoying the fading sun outside.
We opted to stay inside as we were in no hurry to be anywhere else. Menu is very varied and reasonably priced. My starter was a Brie and Mushroom parcel wrapped in Filo Pastry and was superb and my friend had the Mushrooms with garlic sauce which she found hard to finish even though she loves mushrooms.
I had the Sea Bass with Prawns and Mussels in a White Wine Sauce. Have to say it was divine and the fish was cooked to perfection. I wasn't able to eat the veg and potatoes as I had so much Seafood on my plate.
My friend had the Stir Fry Chicken in a Honey and Ginger Sauce which she said was the tastiest sauce she ever ate even though she says she doesn't like ginger.
We enjoyed a lovely bottle of Argentinian Malbec and the whole experience was a joy.
My one and only gripe is I had to ask for the Wine List instead of being offered it.
Will certainly be returning when in Athlone again.

2  Thank derek c
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I found that this restaurant is athlone's little treasure! The food is exceptional and the service from the staff is amazing! All very friendly and happy to help ;) i have dined here quite a few times and im happy to say that it is doing well in business ;) i dont understand where the bad reviews are coming from on here about this restaurant? All food is sourced locally as one waitress was happy to inform me,(long blonde hair) i would like to credit her as she was very knowlegable about wines and the food served in the premises and also recommended other dishes we wouldnt of usually chose.. Im very happy with this place and very happy to return ;)

1  Thank Laura-shore
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just had a dinner with my husband in this restaurant. We had a starter and a main. I would say the soup was the best and really nice. The rest was ok, very average. Service was quick and staff very attentive. Felt little bit squeezed because of very limited space in this restaurant. Fair price for the food. Would return just because i know much better restaurants in Athlone, like 'Left bank bistro' or Lebanese 'Al Mezze'.

1  Thank pelene