Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Agoda.com
Hodson Bay Hotel(Athlone)
$101
$79
The Prince of Wales Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$65
$58
Athlone Springs Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$73
$65
Travelocity
Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$60
$58
Travelocity
Creggan Court(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$53
$51
  • Restaurant
The Grand Hotel(Moate)(Great Value!)
$88
Cooneys Hotel(Ballymahon)
$158
TripAdvisor
1,811 results
All reviewsavril kiernana business class roomoverlooking the rivershannon riverfamily suitehotel is in a great locationbar foodbar staffhot foodcentre of townbar areabreakfast was excellentsteam roomgreat selectionstayed here for one nightenjoyable stayfood was lovely
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed July-2014.
We stayed on our way from the west towards Dublin. It was an excellent experience.
Rooms - spacious, spotless, well maintained, everything you need including WiFi.
Beds were good and room was quiet for a good night sleep.
Staff was friendly.
Breakfast was delicious.
Free parking.
Location - within city center, nearby you can find restaurants and pubs or just stroll.
Tip: Ask for a room facing the river for a nice view.
Summing up: We were sorry we had to leave...

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river for a nicer view
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Avi_4321
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Hi Avi_4321,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We, at the Radisson Blu Hotel Athlone, strive to uphold the best possible standards at all times and upon reading your review I am glad this has been the case. Perhaps upon your return you could experience our Element’s Bistro, which is currently offering its ‘Summer Saver’ 4 course meal for €20.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We had a hen party & stayed here in June. Excellent location looking out on the River, lovely friendly staff & fabulous food. Would definitely go back again. Room was absolutely beautiful, very spacious & looking out on the River cruises, which we went on also

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Hi CaitrionaOL2013,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I will be sure to pass on compliments to the staff and our Head Chef.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a delcious breakfast at a decent price of €12.50... hot food, great selection of fruit, breads and pastries. Hightlight was the pancake machine which made fresh pancakes.

This nice experiece was topped off by the hostess Avril who was warm and welcoming which was very nice to see this early in the morning!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Glenn W

Hi Glenn W,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your breakfast as we receive regular positive feedback on our variety and quality. I will also be sure to tell Avril to keep up the good work.
Maybe upon your return in the future you could experience our Element’s Bistro, which is currently offering its ‘Summer Saver’ 4 course meal for €20.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Myself and my husband recently attended a wedding here, and its safe to say we will never be back! Before arriving at the hotel we had decided that we would try it for bar food sometime in the future as we had never really thought about it before when in the area. However after the recent experience its safe to say we will spend our money elsewhere, on arriving at the hotel it was a cat and mouse game trying to get parking, given that I think we were one of the first guests to arrive I dread to think what others had to do to get parking! When we arrived in the hotel was lovely and clean the staff friendly. I had to feed the baby so went to the bar to get the dinner heated, this was done no problem, when the lovely girl came down with it, my husband who was hungry asked for a bowl of soup, when he got it, there was brown bread with seeds on it, lovely I am sure, but he doesn't like bread like that so asked for a plain white bread roll, only to be told that there was none, at half 3 on a Saturday afternoon?? while sitting in the reception area waiting for the bride and groom we had an enjoyable time, that is until the BBQ started on the deck and the reception area started to fill with smoke and smell, we actually had to go and stand outside the front door with the baby, thankfully one of the days it wasn't raining, if I was a bride I wouldn't appreciate that upon my arrival. We went to the function room, it was lovely, bright and clean. There was Vol au Vonts 1st, enjoyable and tasty, then arrives the soup, and to my surprise a basket of white bread rolls that weren't in the hotel 2 hours previously, and before I am told they were cooling, or in an oven cooking for the wedding, the fact I nearly needed a steak knife to cut them proves the lack of freshness. Before this I had no real problem with the staff, but I was truly disgusted by the manner and actions of the manager on duty towards the serving staff, he was an embarrassment to the Radisson name, he actually clicked fingers and done nothing to help except point and click and wave his arms around like a lunatic, I think I saw him lift one plate, this was a big wedding and rather than HELP he was on a power trip, at one stage he actually caused such confusion at our table that my husband had to explain to a girl what the manager wanted her to do, because all Mr Clicky did was Click and point at her like a dog rather than speak to her than the human she is, when going around with the cups and saucers for the tea and coffee course, we noticed him standing chatting with a guest at the wedding, 20mins later he was still there and would you believe without his click click help they got it all done no problem?? however when the table next to us asked a girl serving them something he actually called her away and I think chastised her for speaking to a table of guests, when he could stand for 20 mins at nothing?? When me and my husband got married if the function manager in the hotel we used acted like that and I got wind of it I would have caused ructions.
Anyway my husband felt ill (through no fault of the hotel I might add) at around 12 so we decided to call it a night, before we went to the car I asked a girl on reception if we had to pay her for our parking ticket as the machine was out of order at the door, I was informed by her that no the barrier would either be up, or go up, so we went to the car, after 10mins waiting I went back to reception and a man there told me there was a problem but that someone was trying to fix it and to just go back down and wait, 15mins later, I went back in and a 3rd different person was at reception, I enquired as to whether someone had a key to override the gates to just let us out, only to be asked by him if we had got our parking ticket authorised??? What the hell? I explained the 1st girl 25mins previously had said we didn't need anything that they would either be up or go up, that the 2nd person told us there was a problem with them, and now were being told our ticket needed to be authorised, this man actually sneered in my face, and his response? "oh no you are wrong, that girl is gone over half an hour" really, well then obviously me and my sick husband have been waiting over half and hour to get out of the car park, so don't sneer at me, he then proceeded to nearly throw a ticket at me and told me to try that, if it doesn't work sure then come back in, it was like an episode of prison break, although I would bet that breaking out of prison would have been easier. I have never been treated so badly be reception staff in any hotel, least of all one that is meant to have such a reputation as the Radisson, nor have I seen such ignorance by an manager towards serving staff, needless to say we will never set foot in the place again, and if any of our friends get married and hols their reception here we will not be attending.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank sunburnqueentravels
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Hi sunburnqueentravels,
Thank you for reviewing your recent time in our hotel. With regards to parking there are actually spaces reserved for the wedding party in a clear area adjacent to the front door. I am delighted to hear that on first arrival you found the hotel lovely and clean and our staff friendly. I am also happy to hear one of our staff members could help you heat your baby’s food. With regards to our fresh bread as opposed to using mass produced rolls we bake fresh homemade artisan breads daily which we receive excellent feedback from customers on the quality of the bread. I am disappointed to hear that our staff could not source you a white roll as they are trained to help with every request.
I am delighted to hear you found our function room lovely, bright and clean and that you enjoyed your meal for the most part. With regards to your experience at the wedding meal the gentleman in question is a senior member of management here at the hotel and as a senior member of management his responsibility is to ensure the smooth running of the special occasion. While you may have felt his actions were inappropriate he was actually guiding staff to serve the banquet tables in sequence and in an efficient manner. I feel labeling him ‘Mr. Clicky’ is incredibly unfair as he oversaw the whole function to which the bride and groom could not praise him enough for his efficient and courteous style of management.
With regards to your experience with our car park barriers it is the hotel’s policy that a ticket is needed to gain entry or exit from the facilities and unfortunately if the guest has no ticket or if it has not been redeemed the gentleman at reception was actually correct in what he was trying to explain.
It is unfortunate to hear that your time in the Radisson Blu Hotel Athlone was not to your favour because as a team we strive to uphold the highest standards of customer service and extend every possible courtesy to all guests and this is reflected through many of the positive reviews that we receive on Trip Advisor. As I’m sure you can see this is an exception as opposed to the norm.
I’m sure if you were to return you would see this is the case.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Booked this hotel on the strength of our stay in the galway radisson but were a bit disapointed with the overall service and cleanliness of this one.the room we were allocated had the most stunning views over the river shannon but the service and cleanliness was lacking(sorry for repeating myself). Also no air con in any of the hotel rooms, we had to ask for a fan which we did get, otherwise would not have been able to stick it out, would have had to move on! It was that bad.
The restaurant food and service was enough to cheer us up though as both were excellent.
Probably wouldn't stay here again but would certainly eat in it.

Room Tip: Not any room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Barry H,
Thank you for taking your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear you found the overall service poor. I have investigated into why this was the case and measures have been taken to ensure it does not happen again.
With regards to your room temperature I am happy to hear a member staff was able to provide you with a fan as from time to time it can unfortunately be quite warm, due to the weather.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food and service in Element’s Bistro.
I do hope you will afford us the opportunity to return at some stage in the near future.

Best Regards,