“Nothing Special...”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Midlands
“Nothing Special...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night B&B. Nothing overly impressed me, it just felt like a bed for the night.
The staff didn't do anything more than what they needed to do, they weren't rude but they weren't welcoming either...
I booked a double room for me & my partner, we rarely get away together and when we got the room it was two twin beds stuck together, it wasn't comfortable, I kept slipping between the crack so we had to sleep either side... But in saying that I didn't ask for a different room because we got back from dinner late enough & we didn't think that it would be as bad beforehand. They may have been accommodating if I had have asked.
Breakfast was nice and fresh with a good selection of cereals and fruit. I didn't have hot food as the hotel was so warm I thought I'd pass out if I added a hot breakfast to it!
Overall it was fine for an overnight stay if you are not expecting much more than a standard B&B. I think for what we got we overpaid, €120ish.
The best thing about it was the location, very central & walking distance to everything so no taxis required!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Hi TravelJenn1,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We focus a lot on our customer service and I am disappointed to hear that it was not an experience that our customers usually enjoy. I regret to hear that your room was not as you expected. We are always delighted to accommodate our guests requests whenever they are brought to our attention.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our varied selection of cereals and fruit on offer in our breakfast buffet. Our location is something which all our guests are pleased with as we are in the heart of Athlone.

We look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel.

Sinead Marron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Donegal, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Externally unimpressive, internally a whole different story. Very modern, welcoming reception. Warmly greeted by an employee who was in-training but was smiling, efficient and informative. There was an issue over "Breakfast-included" or not but it was professionally dealt with by both her and the hotel manager and a solution was quickly sorted. Luckily, I managed to get one of the new updated rooms. They were impeccably clean, fresh, modern and decorated to a high standard. The bathroom / shower was spotless. The room did become uncomfortably warm during the night but the thermostat quickly solved that. The leisure centre was also great and staff there were very accommodating and courteous. Without doubt, breakfast was most impressive, copious and wide-ranging and the morning staff were fantastic, smiling, hard-working and friendly. Indeed this was a most pleasant and relaxing stay during a very busy working schedule. Will definitely be back in the near future.

Room Tip: 329 was well-appointed, updated and newly decorated.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hi foxymm,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay with us. It is wonderful to hear so many positive comments. Guests service is very important to us and it is pleasing that you found the service friendly and helpful. Our staff are highly trained and are always ready to find the solution to any issue.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Had a 2 night stay. Nice hotel centrally located in a nice town. Would like to go back in the summer. Marked down a star because the steak sandwich was poor. It's really hard to mess up a steak sandwich but they did. Visit seans bar while in athlone

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi James167,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and would like to come back this Summer.

However, I am disappointed to hear that you found the steak sandwich poor - we strive to ensure our food is of a consistent high standard and receive regular compliments on our food.
It is only with feedback like yours that we can improve and I will certainly pass your comment to our head chef and this team.

We look forward to seeing you again this Summer.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in the middle of February. We found the staff to be very helpful (especially Claudine). The food in the bar and restaurant were great and very portion sizes were perfect for those with a healthy appetite. The room although comfortable could definitely do with a makeover as there were a few stains on the carpet and tears in the curtains but hte bed was clean and comfortable. Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi 4alive,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay in our hotel. I am delighted to hear that our staff were helpful to you. I will pass your positive comments to Claudine. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your meals both in the Quayside Bar and Elements Bistro. I am happy that you felt comfortable in the room you stayed and I will pass your comments regarding the curtains and carpet to our accommodation manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Stayed 1 night recently prior to wedding. Lovely meal in restaurant. Lovely river view from bedroom. Staff helpfully recommended hair and makeup nearby. Very helpful on telephone in advance. Will return

Room Tip: Request a river view room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi M F ,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your recent stay. I am delighted to hear so many positive comments about your stay. It is great to see you enjoyed your meal in our Element Bistro. I am happy to hear that our staff were helpful when you were looking for information. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the view of the River Shannon from your bedroom.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

I could not enter the street that the hotel is on the road was blocked. the sat nav was no good but I met two of the local police the garda who showed me the way by the back roads. a big thank you.the hotel had plenty of free parking and booking in was easy. the bar and breakfast were great, I did not eat at the hotel for dinner. the room was large and well appointed. my only problem was the key card which needed to be re programmed 6 times during my one night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hi brianwNorthants,

Thank you for providing us with a review of your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that you were unable to access the front entrance of our Hotel from Northgate Street due to recent works being carried out by the local council. In relation to the key card for your room I will bring this to the attention of our Front Office manager to ensure this does not happen again.

I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with our car parking facilities. I am also happy to hear that you had a great time in our bar.

I do hope that when you came back to us next time you will find some time to enjoy dinner in our Element’s Bistro.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed here last weekend. This is our second time and not our last. We were put in a business class room which was really nice and we had a fabulous view overlooking the Shannon. It was clean and comfortable. The staff are really nice.

Room Tip: We had room 409 overlooking the Shannon. It was quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Ashling G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that this is your second stay with us and that the staff were helpful. I will be sure to let them know that they helped make your stay an enjoyable one. It is great to hear that you were impressed with your room and the view of the River Shannon; it is something which our guests always enjoy.

We look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future.

Kind regards,