“Great central hotel”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Just arrived back from a 1 night stay in the Radisson Blu, Athlone. Very quick check in and the room was great. Spacious and spotlessly clean. The breakfast hot/cold buffet was excellent and really sets you up for the day ahead. The hotel is very centrally located and only a few hundred metres from Athlone Castle and its surrounding pubs and restaurants. We dined in the Bar Bistro and had their fish and chips - very tasty and a huge portion. Overall an excellent stop off on a journey through Ireland - we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear MicrolightAlan,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review, I am delighted that you were happy with your stay with us. I am happy you enjoyed your room and the food here at the hotel and I will be passing your comments on to our head chef and the rest of the team here at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Sinead Marron

Write a ReviewReviews (1,754)

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I had to leave our cottage in County Donegal because of the midge swarms that ate me alive and stayed two nights in the Radisson. We chose a suite overlooking the Shannon river. This is a modern hotel in the centre of Athlone and within walking distance to everything we wanted to see. Our suite was large, nicely furnished and very comfortable. The Nespresso machine was an extra treat as we have one at home. Staff in the hotel were all very friendly and helpful; parking is secure and free; and wireless internet was trouble free. We would definitely recommend staying here. Larry & Kelly

Room Tip: Spring for a suite overlooking the river.
1  Thank RoseAlee

Dear RoseAlee,

Firstly I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am delighted that you were happy with your stay and with our service here at Radisson Blu Athlone. I am happy that you were pleased with our location and used it to your advantage. Thank you for your comment on the Nespresso machine as we love to hear guest’s feedback about the rooms and what they were happy with. It is always great to hear good comments about our staff and I will be passing on your kind words to the entire team here at the hotel. We hope you return to us again soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel is very centrally located in Athlone,it is easy to access from the motorway and the town centre is 2 minutes away.It also offers lovely views of the Shannon river.It is a very busy hotel so we had to wait at check in, for service in the bar and at breakfast next morning. Given how busy it was all the staff that we encountered were friendly and welcoming.Our room was on the fifth floor, the windows were velux but did offer nice views. The bathroom had a great sized shower but the smallest sink I have ever seen in any hotel room. Dinner in the bar was lovely but breakfast was chaotic with long waits to get foods replenished. In summary this hotel is well located and is fine for an one night stay.

Dear Maj148

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review, I am happy that you were pleased with our location as it is one of our best attributes. Apologies for the delays
during your stay but unfortunately during busy periods as you have mentioned it can be difficult for staff to keep things moving under such pressure. I am happy that you were pleased with the food in our quayside bar as we are continuously seeking guest’s comments on the food and menu to ensure it is of a high standard, I hope you will return to us again in the future and I look forward to welcoming you when you do.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We arrived on Friday afternoon, the girls went to the spa in the Sheraton hotel just 5 minutes up the road, and as boys will be boys we stayed out on the deck enjoying the sunshine and the waiter service form the bar. We had a lovely suite in the hotel and many thanks for that. Dinner on Friday night in the hotel restaurant was very nice i have to say, food was very well presented and tasted lovely, retired back to the bar afterwards for a quick night cap.
Saturday we all went our different ways and meet up at 19:00 in the reception as we had dinner booked in town, more of that later, we went to Sean's bar, allegedly the oldest bar in Ireland been there since 900 AD, Guinness wasn't bad either. Then we went to the restaurant which was excellent i have to say.
Overall service in the hotel was very efficient and staff were very pleasant, and a very enjoyable stay was had by all.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river

Dear Paddy Carmody,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am delighted that you were happy with your stay with us. I am happy that you were pleased with the food and service in our Elements restaurant and Quayside bar and I will be passing on your kind words to our head chef and the whole team here at the Hotel. It is also great that you had the opportunity to see some of Athlone as our location is perfect for exploring all that Athlone has to offer. Sean’s bar is a favourite of many visitors to the hotel and I am glad you enjoyed it. I hope you will return to us again soon and I look forward to welcoming you when you do!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed here for a night on a trip to Athlone. We had a lovely barbecued meal out on the terrace facing the river Shannon for dinner. Our room was very nice, with modern decorating, quite hot though, so we kept the skylight open. All in all, our stay was great.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Garry R,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review, I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience one of our riverside barbecues as we put a lot of time and effort into making events at our hotel as enjoyable for our guests as possible. I am also delighted that you were pleased with your room and I will be passing your kind comments onto the team here at the hotel, I hope you will return to us soon and I look forward to welcoming you when you do!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Fantastic location on the river Shannon on the edge of Athlone town centre and 5 minutes' walk from the train and bus stations. We stayed 4 nights midweek when the price is much lower than at the weekend. Check-in was first class and the reception staff brilliant.

Our room was comfortable with a lovely view over the restaurant terrace and river. Handy fridge in room, relaxing lighting and decor, huge comfy bed. Standard bathroom with a large bath and classy lemon smellies. However the wooden bath panel was quite badly water-damaged and should have been replaced.

The indoor swimming pool is 16.5 metres long and quite popular! We found mid-morning the quietest time to visit... bring your compulsory swim hat or buy one there for €2. The sauna and steam-room were well-maintained and had a good heat to them. More great views of the Shannon from the poolside and through the sauna glass door.

The hotel's Shannon-side bar has some good value lunch options with BBQ buffets at €10, mains from €6 and fish and chips at €9.50. Beer was the same price as town centre pubs and on a hot summer day the terrace is a great place to chill.

When in Athlone you'll be sure to go to Sean's Bar with donkey's years of history, great beer garden and nightly live music (jazz on Monday, trad on Thursday) but you'll also find Gertie Browne's just down the road from the hotel a fantastic old pub with lots of dark corners and hidden rooms to get lost in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear ClairKeithTeddy,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with our location beside the fabulous Shannon River as our location is one of our best attributes. I am also happy that you were satisfied with your room and our leisure facilities and apologies for the unsightly bath panel; I will notify the team of this issue. It is great that you had the opportunity to experience our terrace during the good weather as it makes all the difference. I am thrilled that you also explored what Athlone has to offer and many thanks for giving your recommendations to others, I hope you will return to us again soon and I look forward to welcoming you when you do!

Kind regards

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Despite having a very nice location this is one hotel I would definitely avoid in future. When we arrived the place was heaving with hen parties and kids running around and we had a long wait to check in. The room we eventually received was one of the worst I have encountered for a four star hotel. Usually I'd find one or two things a bit amiss about a room but this place took the biscuit.
1. It was a wheelchair friendly room which meant it had a very specific type of bathroom. That also meant no bath and a shower head dangling from the soap holder. No shower holder so I had to just hold it up to have a shower.
2. The shower area had some weird slatted surface that moved around and made having a shower a very unsteady experience.
3. Mould on the shower curtain
4. No hot water in the main sink as the plumbing had seized when turning the tap towards the "hot" direction
5. Absolutely insane plumbing sounds when using any kind of water. We had to avoid any flushing at night as the sound would wake up the whole corridor.
6. The room was located on the first floor with the grimmest view I have ever seen overlooking a roof, 6 fans and a generator all right outside our window.
7. The room door was broken and had to be shouldered shut and pulled open with full bodily force.
8. The bed was in some kind of weird diagonal aspect for some unexplained reason.
9. This is out of the hotels control but related to my original point about the type of customer to be expected at this hotel. We were kept awake intermittently by a group of men who took to talking and shouting in their room till 6am. Probably a stag party of some kind which is all this place is good for.

Yes we could have asked to change room but we had no time. The fact that a room of this standard was offered up to paying customers shows you the standard of care management have. I'm sure they are aware of the many problems but they will not commit money to fix these as it is a NAMA hotel and these are run on a budget. Get them in paying whatever till they can offload the hotel a few years down the line. You've been warned.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family