“Good value”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here for one night and the location is a great base to get around Athlone town.
Room price is reasonable and good value for money.
The rooms are fine, if a little cramped and I found the bathroom tiny. There is no air-con in the rooms and it got very hot. We left the window open all night but were woken at around 3am by a lot of noise coming from the car park from people who were just finishing their night out - outside of the control of the hotel but a bit of a nuisance.
Check-in was quick and the girl looking after us was very pleasant.
We didn't eat in the hotel at all, so can't comment on that. We particularly enjoyed the large terrace at the back of the hotel, which looks out over the river and spent a very enjoyable few hours sitting here in the sun.
Overall, good value for money and I'd return if in the area again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear XshellyX,

Many thanks for your review on the hotel, we regret to hear your comments on the room, we have taken your comments on board and are looking into providing air conditioning on the rooms to enhance our guests’ stay with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the terrace as we are very lucky to be in our magnificent location alongside the Shannon. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Radisson Blu Hotel Athlone

Write a ReviewReviews (1,768)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed for two nights June bh. On entrance hotel looks great. Fast check inn and friendly staff. At the bar we took a seat and no member of staff approached to take an Oder. I ordered at the bar. Food was prompt and tasty. We ordered room service later that evening. Big mistake. We ordered starters mains dessert. Al came to the room quickly, wings where soggy and tasteless and did not come as described on menu. Burger was the worst burger I have ever seen. It was burnt to a crisp. Charcoal. Sent it back and the next one was almost as bad. Pizza was good. We got no cutlery to eat out food with and the desserts where not nice. Very synthetic and I would say bought in.the room was comfortable and has everything you need for a short break. Even if it was a little noisey late in the night from entertainment in the bar. We also had a problem with our room cards after being out all day walking we arrived at the room and the door would not open I had to walk all the way back down to reception to get new cards. Not fun when you've been walking all day and just want to relax

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Gastrob2013

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to express your findings as it is only when we receive feedback such as yours that we can improve our service. I apologise for your bad experience with our food service and the inconvenience with your key cards. I have shared your comments with the team here at the Radisson Blu and we are currently reviewing our room service menu. I hope that you will consider returning to us in the future and I will personally ensure you are looked after.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I frequent the Radisson Blu hotel in Athlone quite a lot, sometimes up to four times a week. The ambience of the wide spaced hotel is vast. There is always a comfortable area to socialise, work and eat/drink. The panoramic view of the River Shannon and Athlone Castle shows across from the wooden patio at the back of the hotel.
I use the hotel for work meetings and because of its central spot in Athlone, I always schedule meetings in the foyer or bar for clients, or sometimes just for friends.
I can’t fault any of the staff members, they are all courteous and helpful, no matter how busy or what time of the day or night you call to the Radisson. However there is a bar staff member, Avril Kiernan, who I would like to single out. She is courteous over and beyond the call of duty, and I have noticed that she treats all the guests superbly. She leaves nobody waiting for menus, and on one recent occasion, I was with a person, who needed to catch a train, and she made sure that we got our meal in time, so he could leave for his train.
She is particularly courteous and friendly to elderly people who attend the hotel, and gives an incredible homely and traditional feeling to the hotel, which is something which lacks in most Irish hotels today. I feel I have to single out Avril because of her constant attention, but that is not taking from the other excellent staff members, ie Mark, Gavin, Claudine, Aisling, the two Kasias, Paul, Brian, Karen, Killian, Noel, Victor. I’m bound to be leaving somebody out, but that’s not deliberate, and the management can be very proud and happy with all their staff.
David

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear DavidAthlone2013,

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to write your review. We pride ourselves in making your business and personal appointments as comfortable as possible and I was delighted to read that you were impressed with our service and our location. We are always happy to hear good comments regarding our staff and I will be sending on your comments to all the team here at the hotel.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding here at the start of May and words can not describe how amazing our day went thanks to the hotel and its incredible staff. Everything we asked for was carried out to the highest standard and we felt really looked after and cared for by all the staff all day. The standard of the food, service and the atmosphere throughout was beyond our expectations. There was no shortage of champagne or canapés at the drinks reception and our guest’s glasses were never empty at the dinner which is what ever bride and groom wants to hear. Since the wedding we have been inundated with compliments about the standard and quality of the food throughout the day.
As part of our day we had organized two boat trips from the hotel pier and this all went off without a hitch thanks to Tanya and the team who helped in getting everyone on and off the boats, quickly and efficiently. The hotel staff brought the champagne (which they had kindly held over night and chilled for us), ice and trays of food to the boats for us prior to departure and yet again this was well-organized and carried in a competent and prompt manner.
Our theme for the wedding day was vintage chic, which again required a lot of help from the hotel, in setting tables with china tea sets and assembling china cake stands for displays during the drinks reception and for the desserts after dinner. The hotel again accommodated us by accepting the boxes of china and accessories the Thursday before our wedding. The table settings for the drinks reception and in the main room looked fantastic, and this didn’t go unnoticed by the guests who commented to me throughout the day about the décor and the settings. We were so trilled with all the compliments and with how the room looked, it really did exceed our expectations.
The Bridal suite is amazing with panoramic views of the river Shannon and was large enough to facilitate a very relaxing morning of hair and make up for myself and the bridal party the day of the wedding. A number of requests for extra drinks and food on the morning were dealt with effectively and efficiently. On the night of our wedding we were greeted by a lovely card, fruit basket and water on arrival to the bridal suite and the next morning we were awoken by a call from the reception manager to ask if we were ready for our champagne breakfast or would we like it at a later time than stated. The breakfast was delivered in a heated trolley and was yet again fantastic quality and there was enough food to feed a small army.
Overall we can not recommend the hotel enough to anyone who is considering it for there wedding or any special occasion. The staff and the banqueting team must be complimented on their total and utter commitment to what they do. In particular we can not speak highly enough of Tanya the wedding coordinator for her accommodating manner throughout the whole planning process. She was extremely efficient, professional, and obliging during all our meetings. We always felt so excited about our wedding after speaking to Tanya because she brings so much enthusiasm to her job. She was happy to help us at all stages and with all queries, we always felt in safe hands and always felt like our wedding was important and individual which is so important to any bride and groom.
We would like to thank The Radisson Hotel and all the staff for the best day of our lives.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kchIreland

Dear KchIreland,

Many thanks for your lovely comments. Firstly we want to congratulate you on your recent wedding and thank you for sharing your day with us here at the Radisson Blu. We are delighted to have assisted you in making your day so special and it was an absolute pleasure to work with you. It is wonderful to hear you were happy with our service and location. It is always great to hear such great words about our staff and I will be sharing your comments with all the team here at the hotel. We take great pride in all of our weddings while also ensuring personal attention at all time. I am delighted to hear that Tanya and whole team looked after you so well from your initial enquiry. We look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate your 1st anniversary with us
And from all the team here, best wishes to you both for a happy future and a marriage filled with lots of love and happiness.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I've used the Radisson Blu in Athlone extensively over the past couple of years and find it offers good clean accommodation at reasonable prices. At quiet periods the resturant closes in the evening and then dinner is served in the bar. Breakfast is a basic buffet and works well. Sometimes the music played at breakfast is more suited to evening moods!The hotel has a great location overlooking the boat marina, staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms will soon be in need of a makeover, including TVs which are the old, box style and in some the sound is very distorted. Nevertheless a decent place to lay your head.

Room Tip: Riverside is obviously great for views. Fifth floor has suites for families but dormer windows and n...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jim M

Dear JimM,

Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am delighted to hear you were pleased with your stay in our hotel here in Athlone. We work very hard to provide our customers with the best possible stay with us. We have also taken your thoughtful comments on board and are looking into replacing the televisions in the rooms. We always like to hear our guests’ opinions as it helps us to provide the best possible service and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is perfect for exploring athlone and the castle! Parking is an issue, had to wait 10 minutes for someone to leave before we could get parked. Reception staff were lovely and able to provide recommendations for eating in the town! Room was nice and clean although we were facing a wall rather than the river view that is promised! Only major problem with the stay was the cleaning staff trying repeatedly to get into the room from 11am even though we had a late checkout until 2pm. Made us very uncomfortable and very glad that we had the door locked! Other than that I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in athlone!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank lou-1108

Dear IOU - 1108

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased that you took advantage of our great location as it is one of our best attributes. I apologise for the parking issues and I understand that due to particular events in the hotel parking can be an issue at times. I also regret to hear about your inconvenience with checkout, I have shared your comments with the team here in the hotel and we are looking into the matter. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon and I will ensure that you are looked after.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Plenty parking at the hotel and a nice warm and hassle free welcome by the receptionist. Rooms are a good size with nice colours. Bathroom very small and very dangerous with the door stop just in front of the toilet. Stubbed my toe on it and tripped also. The one complaint was the housekeeping. We were still in the room when they came to service it. They emptied bins and did towels while we were there. We left within a few mins and we assumed that room would be serviced fully but nothing else was done. No beds made, no tea/milks etc replaced, no clean cups or glasses Very disappointed. The same happened to other guests. We did not complain as we were reluctant to get the staff member into trouble. We had dinner one evening and the menu was very short but the food was good. Breakfast was very good with a huge choice of fruit etc. Toaster was not working too well but there was lovely brown bread and lots of danish pastries and muffins.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mayo55

Dear Mayo55,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to express your findings as it is only when we receive feedback such as yours that we can improve our service. I have shared your comments with the team here at the hotel and we have looked into the matter with the bathroom to see how it can be resolved. I also apologise for your inconvenience with housekeeping and that issue has also been catered for. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon and I will personally ensure that you are looked after.

General manager