“Good value accommodation at heart of Ireland”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Basel, Switzerland
“Good value accommodation at heart of Ireland”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I've used the Radisson Blu in Athlone extensively over the past couple of years and find it offers good clean accommodation at reasonable prices. At quiet periods the resturant closes in the evening and then dinner is served in the bar. Breakfast is a basic buffet and works well. Sometimes the music played at breakfast is more suited to evening moods!The hotel has a great location overlooking the boat marina, staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms will soon be in need of a makeover, including TVs which are the old, box style and in some the sound is very distorted. Nevertheless a decent place to lay your head.

Room Tip: Riverside is obviously great for views. Fifth floor has suites for families but dormer windows and n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jim M
Sinead_Marron, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear JimM,

Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am delighted to hear you were pleased with your stay in our hotel here in Athlone. We work very hard to provide our customers with the best possible stay with us. We have also taken your thoughtful comments on board and are looking into replacing the televisions in the rooms. We always like to hear our guests’ opinions as it helps us to provide the best possible service and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Radisson Blu Hotel Athlone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Monaghan, Ireland
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is perfect for exploring athlone and the castle! Parking is an issue, had to wait 10 minutes for someone to leave before we could get parked. Reception staff were lovely and able to provide recommendations for eating in the town! Room was nice and clean although we were facing a wall rather than the river view that is promised! Only major problem with the stay was the cleaning staff trying repeatedly to get into the room from 11am even though we had a late checkout until 2pm. Made us very uncomfortable and very glad that we had the door locked! Other than that I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in athlone!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank lou-1108
Dear IOU - 1108

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased that you took advantage of our great location as it is one of our best attributes. I apologise for the parking issues and I understand that due to particular events in the hotel parking can be an issue at times. I also regret to hear about your inconvenience with checkout, I have shared your comments with the team here in the hotel and we are looking into the matter. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon and I will ensure that you are looked after.

Mayo Ireland
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Plenty parking at the hotel and a nice warm and hassle free welcome by the receptionist. Rooms are a good size with nice colours. Bathroom very small and very dangerous with the door stop just in front of the toilet. Stubbed my toe on it and tripped also. The one complaint was the housekeeping. We were still in the room when they came to service it. They emptied bins and did towels while we were there. We left within a few mins and we assumed that room would be serviced fully but nothing else was done. No beds made, no tea/milks etc replaced, no clean cups or glasses Very disappointed. The same happened to other guests. We did not complain as we were reluctant to get the staff member into trouble. We had dinner one evening and the menu was very short but the food was good. Breakfast was very good with a huge choice of fruit etc. Toaster was not working too well but there was lovely brown bread and lots of danish pastries and muffins.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mayo55
Dear Mayo55,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to express your findings as it is only when we receive feedback such as yours that we can improve our service. I have shared your comments with the team here at the hotel and we have looked into the matter with the bathroom to see how it can be resolved. I also apologise for your inconvenience with housekeeping and that issue has also been catered for. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon and I will personally ensure that you are looked after.

General manager

Rathfarnham
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have stayed in the Radisson Blue in Athlone a couple of times in the past and when it came to our group (18) booking a venue for our annual reunion I unreservedly recommended this hotel.
The rooms were fine, spacious and clean. The staff were all very courteous with the exception of a waitress who served us at dinner. The food was another matter entirely - dinner was one of the most disappointing meals I have ever had and the same was said by the rest of the group. For a start, we were shocked to see the very limited menu available to us with only one vegetarian option. Unfortunately, the food presented to us was not of an acceptable standard - It arrived on cold plates, with uncooked vegetables (you couldnt put your fork in them) and was extremely bland and tastless. Some of the meals were sent back while some of the group decided to eat what they could as we were all very hungry at this stage. The restaurant was not busy - I wonder why! The wine was very pricey at €26 a bottle. Breakfast the next morning wasn't much better, the orange juice was of an extremely poor quality and certainly not fresh, the hot food was dull and tasteless and by the time you waited in line to toast your own bread the rest of your breakfast had gone cold.
I definitely would not recommend this hotel for its food.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank RathfarnhamDublin
Dear RathfarnhamDublin,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write our review as it is only when we receive feedback such as yours that we can improve our service and facilities here at the hotel. I regret to hear of your bad experience with our food as we pride ourselves in sourcing all our food produce locally to ensure a high quality and standard. I have shared your comments with the team here at the hotel and we are currently reviewing the situation. We hope that you will return to us again in the near future and that all your issues will be resolved.

General manager

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed in a family room for 2 nights in May. Room very spacious and comfortable . Small problem with the lighting system ,which I brought it to the attention of the staff and they took it on board . Room Good value for money and a very pleasant stay , A special mention for Tanya Flynn - Director of Sales and Marketing , who gave me a help with a fund raising Concert in Kildare recently . I will be encouraging my friends to visit Athlone and stay in the Radisson Blu Hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sherry34_13
Dear Sherry 34_13,

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to provide a review of your experience with us and for choosing to stay at The Radisson Blu Hotel .It is always great to receive positive feedback from our Guests especially regarding the staff, I look forward to sharing your very kind feedback with the entire team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The hotel has an excellent location, and our room had an excellent view. I had a very enjoyable stay here, that was made even better by an excellent standard of service by a lady called Avril who was working behind the bar. She was extremely attentive and always met our requests with a smile!
I am a difficult person to please but this lady went above and beyond the call of duty for my wife and I!
I am staying in Athlone again in August , my stay will be made even better if I know it coincides with Avril working that day!
Very enjoyable experience, and I recommend to all reading this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 85Constructivecritic
Justin_Lowry, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear 85Constructivecric
Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the view from your room. It was always great to receive positive feedback from our Guests especially regarding the staff and I will pass this great praise on to Avril. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in August.

Thanks again
Sinead Marron
Carrickfergus
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here for the above Rally from 15th-16th May 2013 and enjoyed the visit and seeing a few of the interesting places in Athlone.We will return to the area for a longer stay.
The Hotel was the Venue for the Rally which was why we chose to stay there and it is very centrally situated.Our Breakfast was excellent with all the usual things available to set one up for a days sightseeing.I was disappointed to find that an otherwise good room was spoiled by having a Torn Curtain.Housekeeping should not have missed this no matter how busy the Hotel was.
Good beds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TubalCain
Dear Tubalcain
Many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and we hope that we can welcome you back again soon. I was disappointed to read about the torn curtain and immediately passed this information on to our housekeeping staff. We were delighted to host the PROBUS rally and we hope to welcome you all back again soon.

Thanks again