“Excellent”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here in October 2012 and really enjoyed our stay. The staff were so helpful and friendly especially Avril who came to our rescue when one of our party had a flat car battery, thank you! It is in a great location very near the shops and over looking the River Shannon. It would have been so nice to sit ouside and enjoy the view but weather did not allow us to do that on this trip.next time though! Rooms were very clean and comfortable. We look forward to a return trip very soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

Reviewed October 30, 2012

this hotel is well situated near the city centre has very well decorated and spacious rooms, the food was excellent and well presented with a lot of choice, the staff were very friendly and helpfull. The only negative for me was the very firm beds but if you like a firm bed its not a problem

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The hotel is only 5 mins walk to the shops in Athlone and it is situated on the banks of the River Shannon. We ere on the 2nd floor with a view of the decking area and the river as far as the railway bridge. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast is buffet and a very large selection from fruit to fry. The staff were very friendly and spoke to you if you passed them in the lobby. The front desk were very helpful in arranging our rooms together as there were 2 couples and it made a differance to the weekend.
We had bar snack menu on Saturday and the Irish burger was fantastic, Henrietta the waitress was very cheerful and very attentitive.
A great place to stay for visiting Athlone town and area

Room Tip: ask for river view when booking
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Justin_Lowry, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Many thanks for your super feedback. It is always very encouraging to receive a great review from such an established Tripadvisor contributor.

I will be sure to thank Henrietta for her great efforts.

I hope to welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Athlone in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed Radisson Blu Athlone from 10-12 October.

Great location.

Hotel seemed quiet. Our room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the water.

Staff are all very helpful and friendly apart from 1 at breakfast who didnt speak at all, she just looked under her fringe and dropped the teapot on the table!

Food is lovely. We had dinner on the first night which was lovely and on both mornings breakfast was great with plenty of variety.

Room was comfortable and immaculate only fault I would have is that the bathroom fan wasnt working.

Would certainly stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Dear CSJ,

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed the food, we go to great lengths to source the finest local fresh produce to ensure our guests can enjoy the best food in Athlone.

I accept your feedback in relation to the staff member at breakfast and have asked our Food and Beverage manager to retrain the breakfast team to ensure all of the staff have the same excellent customer service standards as is evident throughout the hotel.

Thanks again

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Really enjoyed my stay,very nice helpful staff,lovely large modern rooms,nice bar with decking area over looking the Shannon which would be perfect on a summers evening,well cooked breakfast with lots to choose from,would definatly stay again

Room Tip: Rooms with a river view
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed for a weekend break with my wife and could not find a fault. The hotel was great in every way, room immaculate, food delicious, leisure centre great, staff very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. I would highly recommend to anyone and will definitely return.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed in the excellent Sheraton Athlone on the August Bank Holiday weekend and ventured down the town on the day we were leaving for some lunch . We went into the bar in the Raddison for lunch. It was a group of 7 hungry lads.

The bar was quite busy with people reading papers and having a drink while watching gaa but far from hectic. We took our seats and after a long wait we eventually got service and ordered with most people ordering a starter and Main course. Our orders were taken and our waiter went off only to return to say they were out of chicken wings which a few of us ordered as a starter so we changed to another dish.

We then had to wait forty minutes for our starters to arrive in dribs and drabs. After only getting my starter my steak which I ordered for main was plonked down beside it. This was the case with all the lads meals in the case of the lads sitting at the other table some of their mains came before their starters. Being hungry after the wait we decided to just forget it and eat them.

My steak was cold sitting there by the time I finished my starter. The steak was to be served with chips and onion rings which never arrived I was also never given a steak knife or cutlery for my main. During this period there wasn't one member of staff in sight to highlight this to.

I eventually went to the bar and after a fifteen minute wait ( I think two people were served during this time) the barman eventually came over and I asked to speak to the manager. Cue another ten minute wait and the manager arrives over. I explained what had happened and that I wouldn't be paying for the steak and he muttered a half assed apology with no explanation while looking at his shoes. He took the freezing cold steak away.Cue another fifteen minute wait to pay and we left.

This was the worst run shambles of a bar / resteraunt I have ever been in and it's a shame such a poorly run venue is taking up such a scenic spot by the river. We considered booking this venue for our stay for the two nights and I'm so glad we didn't .

Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Ciaranbowe

Hi Ciaran,

Many thanks for your feedback.

I am very disappointed to hear about your experience in our bar. It is not the norm and I have brought the issues up at our recent standards review meeting.

It does seem that one of your party asked for all of the food, starters and mains, to be served together but nevertheless the service you received is not satisfactory.

We have put new systems in place to ensure all areas of the bar receive the same service and excellent food the Quayside Bar is renowned for.

We take pride in the service and food we offer overlooking the Shannon River and are constantly reviewing our service with a view offering the best hospitality in the Athlone area.

Thanks and Regards