1,948 results
All reviewsa business class roomavril kiernanoverlooking the riverjunior suiteshannon riverhotel is in a great locationbar foodfamily roombar staffhot foodtown centresteam roombreakfast was excellentenjoyable staygreat selectionstayed here for one nightstaff were lovely
Reviewed January 22, 2012

This was our third stay in this hotel, the previous two times were fine, we as a couple both enjoyed the comfort and surrounding areas of Athlone, always leaving refreshed and relaxed after our stay. This time however things have changed for the worse..

We paid for a business class suite overlooking the river, the room was comfortable but looking a bit dated, few stains on carpets, few wet patches in bathrooms but was happy enough.

We were both looking forward to a swim, and a sauna when we got there after the drive. Arrived down to the pool area to find sauna was out of order, the pool was very dirty and the floors of the changing rooms were disgusting, we left after 10 minutes.

When we got back to room, I decided to have a bath, the switch for the shower head and tap was broken so you have to fill the bath using half the tap, half the shower head! Thought I'd let it slide..

Booked a table for a meal in the hotel as we dined there previously and were happy with the food in the past. Meal was bland to say the least, service was terrible (having to ask more than twice for things is unacceptable in these times), asked for a medium cooked steak, got a well done one instead. Mentioned this to the manager there whom apologized. Thought 70euro for two was very steep considering what we got, the only good thing about the meal was the dessert.

Went out to reception to get a taxi into town (it was freezing that night), the lady at the desk called one for us. After twenty minutes and no sign of the taxi I went back up to the desk to discover no sign of the lady who called for us, the man on duty made a joke about it... we walked into town as I was getting angry at this stage.

Arrived back to hotel room after a few drinks to a horrible smell in the room. As we searched around the room we discovered the carpet beside the bed was soaking wet making the smell of the wet carpet rise. I can only guess this was a leak somewhere the bathroom. I threw some towels over it but the smell was so bad we both didn't sleep well at all.

On checkout the next morning (we missed breakfast as we were both so tired from no sleep!), I complained about the water issue, I was passed onto the manager whom offered me 25euro back from the room rate.

I just want to warm people that are spending their hard earned money like us to avoid this 2 star hotel in my opinion. This experience has diminished my faith in holidaying in Ireland again for the near future and the Radisson as a chain.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank IreDB
Martina D, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2012

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for reviewing the Radisson Blu hotel online and providing the management team here with such informative feedback with regards your previous stay here with us. I was sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time here and it was clear many different issues occured throughout your stay.
As you can see from the other reviews here on TripAdvisor this is most certainly not the standard of the Radisson Blu brand.

I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you in more detail, as I acknowledge you are a previous customer of the hotel and had both positive experiences here at the Radisson Blu before.

Please feel free to contact me here at the hotel at any stage at all or indeed any of the management team

Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed here on a Sunday night, booked a double room for €79 b+b. On arrival it was very busy as a wedding fare was taking place, thought to myself 'I'll never get a parking space' but the car park is huge and I had no problem finding one. Checked in, and was upgraded to business class, nice touch, I had requested a river view, which I got. (Room 309). The room was nice, good sized bed with everything you'd expect, coffee making machine, free wifi etc. also 2 bathrobes! The hotel is in a great location, you take a right turn out of the hotel, then a left takes you towards the shopping areas and a right over the bridge takes you towards the Cathedral/Castle area. I agree with other reviews in relation to the breakfast, it was a bit of a let down, the bacon was poor, it does not take much effort to supply a decent full Irish! Another nice touch was the newspaper at the door, although it was business class so you would expect that. We left the car in the car park for most of the following day even though we checked out at 12, the staff were very helpfully in this regard. Overall I would recommend the Radisson for its great location and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed: January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radissson Blu, I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Athlone.
It is always lovely to hear the positive feedback from our guests and I have already forwarded on your comments to all the team here at the Hotel.
I was sorry to hear the poor quality of breakfast served during your stay and our head Chef has looked into this concerning issue.

I do hope we will see you again in the very near future when you are in the area.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Radisson Athlone has so many good things about it but is let down because the managment cannot see what is staring them in the face, i will go through the things i like in a Good Class Hotel, Room- Spacious---Clean--toilet Clean---Overall V Good, Reception---V Professional Staff-- V Professional Restaurant --V Good
Free Parking Leisure Centre Plus Swiming Pool, This is a list of Services the radisson has Except The Swiming Pool in the radisson is So Old Fashioned , You have to Climb Down Metal Ladders to enter the pool the rungs on the ladder are so far apart you would have to be a firefighter to cope as for climbing down into the pool try climbing out , the ladders start halfway up yes the ladders are half ladders you would want to be a youngster to Navagate Them.
As i say the Managment must never do a Check on the little things but it is the little things that Decide where you will stay for your Winter/Summer Break and it is your money that Decides what hotels stay open or Close. So i say to the managment get rid of the Ladders and have a WALK in Pool,

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank john d

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing the Radission Blu Hotel online, I am delighted to see the many positive aspects to your stay here with us and I am glad to see we met and
exceeded many of your expectations.
Your feedback with regards the swimming pool has all been taken on board and the leisure centre manager has done a full analysis of the layout of the swimming area along with maintenance team here at the hotel.

I do hope we will see you back in Athlone again in the very near future

Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed here for one night in Dec '11 - but as I was on business it was a late arrival and early departure, so I can only comment on a relatively short experience.

Checking in was no problem - even when I had to go back out to my car as I'd left my wallet there! The receptionist was polite, friendly and patient.

I did have a problem with my room - there was a draught through the window that would skin a cat, even though the window was closed. After a bit of a fiddle and no joy in fixing it myself, I rang reception, who sent someone up very promptly to investigate. The conclusion was that it wasn't fixable, and I was moved to another room without any hassle.

The second room's bathroom was much smaller than the first - having only a shower and not a bath (probably due to to the fact that the second room was a sort of "attic" room, complete with slanting ceiling - but it was still fine, and I actually quite liked it).
The shower tray did have some drainage issues, and I thought it was going to flood - but thankfully it didn't.

The rooms and bathrooms were clean, and a pretty good size.

I had dinner in the bar, and did have to wait quite a while to be served (in fact I had to go up to the bar to ask for someone to come take an order). The food arrived without too much of a delay, and it was quite good.

As a business hotel I didn't have any major complaints and I would recommend it for that - although I would agree with other comments about breakfast not being fantastic.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Excellent hotel, lovely friendly professional staff.

Excellent food, great rooms with extras (bottle openers, CDs, toothpaste, toothbrush ), great central location, large car park, lovely view & nice clean hotel.

Got an upgrade foc to a business suite

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking lake
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business