“Sanctuary from shopping”

Corner House Bistro
Ranked #5 of 108 Restaurants in Athlone
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Daytime fine dining with traditional table service.Reservations available.Established in 2012 this family owned restaurant is renowned for its quality, style and service. A must for visitors to Athlone who require a little something special.
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. Joe is a great guy who meets you at the door. You can wait for a seat of your choice on comfortable couches or he will find you a seat. Sometimes I stay on the couch if it's only coffee I'm having. (Joe knows his coffee. It's very good.) The lunch is great value and I never feel that I need a main meal later in the evening. No-one we know has ever been disappointed in the quality of the food or the range on the menus. It's a great location. It's easy to find for friends & family passing through Athlone.

2  Thank Joe O

Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I've walked past this restaurant so many times and I finally went in. Oh my god fabulous food, lovely place and service brilliant. The owner makes you feel so welcome. He will make time for everyone and doesn't rush you in or out. The food is delicious and very good portion sizes. Well worth a trip and very good value for money. The staff are friendly and efficient. Nothing is a problem for them. I quite enjoy frequenting this restaurant.

2  Thank galwaygirl27
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Great service, great food, lovely menu, daily specials, I just wish I lived nearer this restaurant and I would be a regular. A little gem in the middle of Athlone. Highly recommend a visit.

2  Thank Moso06
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I had lunch here with a friend during the week, the place was fairly busy, (good to see!) I ordered the pulled pork, which was fabulous-it comes with a celariac remoulade and I cannot abide celery, so I asked the waitress if I could have regular coleslaw...they didn't have any in the kitchen so the chef made me some up specially....that's the kind of service that you don't find much these days, especially in a pretty busy spot.

the food was fabulous (my companion had chicken skewers in a lightly curried sauce. Both meals were excellent, I cleaned my plate and am salivating while writing this. We (sadly) didn't have time to stay for dessert, but I will be back.

Service was efficient, friendly ...definitely a winner!

3  Thank logansbridge
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We (my sister and two five year olds) had lunch here during the week. We had just arrived in Athlone and were unfamiliar with the town, the menu looked a bit “posh” for our sons but we ventured in anyhow. A lovely lady asked us to wait on the couch as the downstairs area was full and got a table ready for us upstairs. The hospitality and professionalism is top class here. We were seated upstairs within minutes and the lovely lady produced paper & crayons for our boys to colour to keep them amused while we browsed the menu. This is a simple thing but anyone with kids will understand that it’s the small things that count. We ordered 2 rounds of sausages and mash for the kids and 2 steak sandwiches for the adults. The food arrived promptly and everything was delicious. The kids bangers and mash (locally produced sausages, which were fabulous) were served on a wooden chopping board, this is unnecessary for kids but a different touch. The steak sandwiches were out of this world and just delicious. A locally produced cheese that was melted over the sandwich was absolutely fabulous. The staff are attentive and very polite. The lovely lady told the boys that the best picture would be hung up in the kitchen which increased their interest while the adults got to finish their meals.
Whilst I am not a desert person, my sister is, so we ordered the medley of deserts & tea. The deserts were fantastic and to sample a small bit of each desert was heavenly.
Having dined in this eatery, my faith has been restored in the Irish hospitality industry, the quality of food is excellent, the staff are very professional and the prices are very, very reasonable for the quality of food you receive. 10/10 to the owners and the staff, well done. I look forward to visiting again.
Looking at the bill receipt after we noticed that it’s a BYO in the evenings, well done again !

2  Thank Tilly21