“One of my favourite places for lunch”

Ballinahown Tea Rooms
Ranked #3 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Athlone
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am disappointed to see some negative reviews, I visit the Tea Rooms regularly and I am never disappointed. I've brought a few friends here, but I love it so much I even go by myself for lunch, where usually I would never eat out on my own.

They must rely heavily on passing trade since Ballinahown is such a small village, so yes, if you stop very late in the day, the selection available will be quite small and a lot of the tasty desserts (which are made fresh daily) will be gone.

You will still be able to get a great coffee and sit and relax in the most gorgeous surroundings and the staff are happy to make suggestions as to what is still on offer!

They make delicious soup, always have a variety of different breads, lovely bagels and the desserts are gorgeous, my personal favourite is their Bakewell tart.

I have always gotten generous portions and the staff have been very friendly and helpful.

There are great facilities also, a large car park, outdoor seating, peaceful and scenic surroundings, the craft shops and a great playground for children just around the corner.

Worth stopping if you are passing, and worth travelling to if you are in Offaly/Westmeath, want a nice lunch with friends in relaxed surrounding or have never visited this beautiful little village.

3  Thank Silverstork

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Beautiful surrounding very comfortably homemade bread cakes etc.very reasonable lovely just even for afternoon tea after a long drive .

1  Thank burkieWestmeath
Reviewed July 1, 2014

excellent cafe which deserves more recognition. Very good decor and ambience combined with excellent service and great food.

1  Thank stjohnsroscommon
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Had lunch there with a friend last week and not impressed. We were served very, very small portions which were overpriced. Food was just about passable with no selection whatever. Will not be visiting there for lunch again!

Mary H

4  Thank Mary H
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stopped by on our way to Clonmacnoise on the suggestion of a shopkeeper in Athlone and it was the perfect place for lunch. We had sandwiches, tea and scones. The staff was delightful.

Don't miss the craft shop downstairs!

1  Thank sues87