“Very good staff and food”
Review of The Locke Restaurant - CLOSED

The Locke Restaurant
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Locke Restaurant, Athlone is located in Athlone's historical quater and is set in an enchanting 150 year old church which stands proudly on the waterfront. The church was the original Anglican church in Athlone and dates back to the early 1800's. The church still retains most of its original fetures which now form part of the gorgeous restaurant that is The Locke. The Locke is situated beside the beer garden entrance to Sean's Bar, Ireland's Oldest Pub, Athlone Castle and is in the heart of the bustling nightlife of Athlone. The restaurant is one block away from the Dean Crowe theatre. It also also is within walking distance of some of Athlone's wonderful attractions, such as the Viking Boat Cruise and the Luain Gallery. The core of the restaurant, set in the captivating and magnificent church which dates back to 1858, now known as the Locke Restaurant is the second level with its high church beamed ceilings, warm, atmospheric lighting, panelling and rich carpet. The cosy snug bar located on the lower level has a dramatic feel about it. There is live piano and harp sessions every Saturday night in the bar area of the restaurant and all are welcome to come and enjoy it, even for a drink. The Locke Restaurant is a proud Irish Restaurant, specialising in fine Irish cuisine and seafood with a strong focus on local suppliers and produce. Our award winning Head Chef and his excellent team cook everything fresh to order and take great pride in the quality and standard of food they produce.The Locke Restaurant is open from Tuesday to Sunday served full evening, Al a Carte Menu from 5pm to 9.30Pm and There is also a great value Early Bird Menu available each day from 5pm to 7pm with 2 courses starting from €21.00 Per person. The Locke also has capacity for groups and parties with our private dining room options available for small or large groups and parties. We also have Group Menus and tailored packages for groups.
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was super and all of Gavin's recommendations were very nice. The Local duck was lovely. Is a super old building with all the tables on different levels. Gavin's pub recommendations for the post dinner pint of Guinness was spot on.

Thanks.

Ann O, Owner at The Locke Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Mwalsh777,

It was a pleasure to receive your review and Gavin is smiling from ear to ear here after reading it. He is delighted that his recommendations across the board were so well received and that your enjoyed your night so much with us. I am so happy that you were charmed with our building and that you enjoyed your evening so much with us and in Athlone.

As your only in Dublin, I very much hope you will call again.
Warmest thanks,

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I booked The Locke Restaurant for a hen party of 24 charming ladies recently. It was a most enjoyable evening as we had a private dining area (for groups of 20+) and so we didnt interfere with others dining experiences...I hope!! Gavin, the owner was kind enough to allow us to call in during the day to set up the tables and our intriguing dining area. We had a well thought out 4 course set menu to choose from.....from beginning to end the food was exceptional and at only €25 per head this dining experience was wonderful. Its not an easy task to satisfy 24 ladies but Gavin and his parents certainly had this one nailed!! Anne (mother),was great craic and was most attentive to us even though there were alot of people dining upstairs too.
The salmon with mussels was certainly a firm favourite on the night, not to mention the sticky toffee pudding....and even at 3 in the morning back in the Sheraton bar, the girls were still raving about how fantastic the meal was overall as well as the enchanting venue itself! Of course it does boast having one of only four 5 star chefs in the country!!
All of us ladies have vowed to return!! I for one most certainly will!!
Athlone has so much to offer but The Locke should be high on the list as an exceptional dining experience, and its so great that this is a family affair right along the riverbank.
Once again, thank you for making our evening so enjoyable.

Dear McLoughlins,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review and we are blown away by your feedback, it very much appreciated. We know how hard it is to satisfy a large group like yours so its so nice when we can, makes all our effort worth while.

I dont know how we will get Seamus, our Head Chef down from cloud nine, he is overwhelmed by such lovely feedback as is the whole team in the kitchen. Gavin loves this restaurant and is always first in and last out, he believes in going the extra mile for people and that really rubs off on the rest of us. He is very thankful for your compliments.

As you said you'll be back, we look forward to meeting you again.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

My girlfriend and I had dinner in the Locke tonight, from the moment we entered the place we were enchanted. The building itself is a hidden gem in Athlone and I would love to have had a look around. It was quiet but there was an atmosphere and the arrival of a hen party was well managed with little or no disruption to diners. The wait-staff were courteous, attentive and extremely helpful. I posed some specific dietary requirements and the waitress was more than accommodating coming back to check a few items to ensure my meal was as needed. The food was well presented and very tasty. My steak was cooked perfectly and we throughly enjoyed our meal. The staff were friendly and relaxed and the whole evening was enjoyable. I would highly recommend The Locke to anyone looking for good food and service. I don't understand why it isn't number one in Athlone!

Caeoimh, thank you.

You are so sweet with what you said, really makes us feel so good. It is always important that there is a warm and welcoming atmosphere, even if the dining room is not full. And we always try to make sure everyone is minded, weather it be a table of 1 or a large Hen Party, everyone is as special at Locke and get the same attention.

We have truly excellent team of chefs who strive to ensure that we can meet anyone's dietary needs which is no hassle at all.

Your compliments are very welcome and as your in Roscommon, i very much hope you will call again soon.

Warmest thanks,

Reviewed March 10, 2014

While wandering around Athlone on the Saturday evening of our weekend trip we came across the Locke and very friendly manager Gavin, who convinced us to book at table for that night promising a 5 star experience. The only available booking was 9pm which suited us as we had had a late lunch.

At 9pm we were greeted by Gavin who informed us that there would be a 10-15 minute wait for our table so we sat and had a drink. As experienced by other reviewers below we were later approached to be informed that they had been extremely busy that evening and there were only 3 items left on the menu. We were offered to leave but at 9.30pm there wasn’t much choice around Athlone so we stayed.

Having been shown to our table we ordered our wine. After bringing white instead of red the first time, we were poured our glasses of French Merlot, only to notice that it was in fact not the wine we had ordered, it was a cheaper Chilean Merlot - it looked like they had also run out of stock behind the bar too. Not a huge issue for us but all the little things add up to the overall experience.

Having got past all that at the beginning I have to say that the food we were served was exceptional!! As someone with a dairy intolerance being told that there is a very limited menu is a nightmare. Both my boyfriend and I ordered the salmon, requesting mine to be dairy-free. When our meals arrived we were served what looked to be two completely different meals, I was so impressed. Rather than the creamy potatoes, cream sauce and buttery veg I was served my perfectly cooked salmon on a bed of couscous and cranberry salad with non-buttered veg. This is one of the most impressive non-dairy variations of a meal I have ever had, usually I just get given chips and a side salad or something. Both meals were happily devoured – the chef here really knows what he is doing. Having only been seated at 9.40pm it was a bit late to order dessert after we finished our main which was very disappointing as they looked delicious and my boyfriend was looking forward to trying one.

Gavin is an excellent host coming over and checking that we were having the experience that he had promised. Our waitress was friendly and chatty and a delight to have serving us. This is a beautiful restaurant with top class food and excellent service. However, I have had to mark it down a bit more because a restaurant can pride itself on fresh food and good service but they can’t be running out of produce on a Saturday night when they take bookings after 9pm. It was disappointing not to be able to experience the full menu and our chosen wine.

If we find ourselves back in Athlone we would happily return to the Locke however we would ensure we had a booking before 8pm as I really want to try the duck!!

Dear Aoife13,

In one sentence, you are 100% correct, we totally agree with you and we have taken your comments very much on board.

We are genuinely complimented that even though your experience with us wasn't the 100% experience we strive to give each time, that you still enjoyed the food and your evening with us and it means so much to our brilliant Head Chef, Seamus Jordan that he could prepare such a lovely dish for you. We are always happy to work with peoples dietary requirements and needs.

Over the past few months, we certainly have been trying to prepare better for the numbers we are doing, it is so nice that so many people want to dine with us BUT we don't want to let ourselves down either. We have taken your comments on board, as we have from others and are now bringing in more of the excellent local food produce we have in Westmeath. We are working very hard to ensure that when someone is booked for a time, they get and even if it is a later booking that they still get the experience we strive to deliver. I really hope that when you come to visit again, this will very much come across.

Gavin is very redfaced by your lovely compliments and again is blown away that he still could make a good impression, even when things are not what they should be.

Aoife, we really appreciate your feedback and we promise to try even harder.

Warm regards,

Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I along with another couple had dinner in this beautiful restaurant last night the service was very good... and the food was perfect with everything cooked to perfection the chicken truffle terrine is a must for starter.... and all the main dishes were as nice as each other. I cant wait to go back and try the others . Did not have desert as we were all to full but hopefully next time.

ke-johnson, thank you so much.

It is so nice to know that your experience with the Locke was as good as the first time and that you enjoyed your evening so much. We are always so complimented when people return to us on a regular basis and feel so happy to do so.

We take great pride in all that we do here at The Locke from the food to the service to the ambiance and its always so lovely to know that it comes across.

Warmest regards,