“Service”

The Locke Restaurant
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Locke Restaurant, Athlone is located in Athlone's historical quater and is set in an enchanting 150 year old church which stands proudly on the waterfront. The church was the original Anglican church in Athlone and dates back to the early 1800's. The church still retains most of its original fetures which now form part of the gorgeous restaurant that is The Locke. The Locke is situated beside the beer garden entrance to Sean's Bar, Ireland's Oldest Pub, Athlone Castle and is in the heart of the bustling nightlife of Athlone. The restaurant is one block away from the Dean Crowe theatre. It also also is within walking distance of some of Athlone's wonderful attractions, such as the Viking Boat Cruise and the Luain Gallery. The core of the restaurant, set in the captivating and magnificent church which dates back to 1858, now known as the Locke Restaurant is the second level with its high church beamed ceilings, warm, atmospheric lighting, panelling and rich carpet. The cosy snug bar located on the lower level has a dramatic feel about it. There is live piano and harp sessions every Saturday night in the bar area of the restaurant and all are welcome to come and enjoy it, even for a drink. The Locke Restaurant is a proud Irish Restaurant, specialising in fine Irish cuisine and seafood with a strong focus on local suppliers and produce. Our award winning Head Chef and his excellent team cook everything fresh to order and take great pride in the quality and standard of food they produce.The Locke Restaurant is open from Tuesday to Sunday served full evening, Al a Carte Menu from 5pm to 9.30Pm and There is also a great value Early Bird Menu available each day from 5pm to 7pm with 2 courses starting from €21.00 Per person. The Locke also has capacity for groups and parties with our private dining room options available for small or large groups and parties. We also have Group Menus and tailored packages for groups.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have had dinner here with my wife last weekend. Overall the food was great. The waitress, i think her name was joanne was excellent and made sure we were well looked after through our meal. The lady, i think the manager was not very polite. She seated us and we found her people skills to be very poor and almost rude at times.

Regards

3  Thank Michael W
Ann O, Owner at The Locke Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear MichaelW,

Thank you very much for your feedback and review. We appreciate your comments. First of all, we are very happy that you enjoyed the food so much, our food is the engine of our business and our exceptional chefs are the drivers of that quality. We have passed on your kind words to Joanne who served you and she is very thankfull.

We appreciate your comments about the hostess on the night. I have spoken to her personally and she would like to extend her must humble apologies if she came across in anyway rude or in an inappropriate way, she is very apologetic and embarrassed that she did. We take a huge amount of pride in our service and the team member in question will be taking your comments on board and ensuring that an inceident like yours does not occur again.

We appreciate your review and feedback and hope you come to visit us in The Locke Restaurant again very soon.

There are newer reviews for The Locke Restaurant

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have eaten at the Locke restaurant a few times. On all occasions I have been left mildly to completely uncomfortable with the waiter and the service that I received. Terrible service.

Food has generally been mixed. I have left the Locke both satisfied and less than pleased. I felt that when the restaurant first opened, the main food was exceptional but on the last two occasions I have been there, it was mediocre at best. However, on all occasions I found the desserts to be wonderful.

The Locke Restaurant is a promising place as its building is very unique but I wouldn't be able to give it a great review right now.

7  Thank powpow25
Ann O, Owner at The Locke Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

As a team and a restaurant, we are disappointed that this review has been posted as it is highly untrue and quiet hurtful. We believe it was done with a malice intent.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We were intrigued with the converted church that houses the locke... the internal decor gives the place a fresh twist while still maintaining the original features, which makes the place quite welcoming.
all 3 courses were delicious. Washed down by a recommended NZ SB...
You must have dinner here if visiting Athlone :-)

1  Thank Babydoll2010

Babydoll2010,

What can we say but a huge and gracious “Thank You” to you for such a complimentary review. I am so happy that you found our church to be so captivated and enchanting, we have worked very hard to let the original church features stand for themselves. But the church is only 1 aspect of our restaurant, we strive to ensure that our food and our service matches up to our gorgeous building and it is so refreshing to know that it does.

I have passed on your wonderful comments to the entire team here at The Locke and thank you so much for the recommendation – it means a lot to us.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Ate here on Valentines night with my wife. We had heard about it in Mullingar and how good it was and i have to say, we were not disappointed at all. Its a gorgeous old church and there was candle light everywhere and very soft lighting. Even though it was Valentines night, the restaurant was calm, quaint, intimate. Service was lovely, not pushy or rushed. We were served by Joanne and she was so nice to us. The food was delicious. We went for the set valentines menu, great value at €32.50. Both had rabbit to start, Mary had pork belly for mains and i had the Lamb Shank, excellent all round. We didnt go for desert but they were offering an Irish Coffee instead with the deal (nice touch) and we both had that, again lovely. Nora, one of the owners came over and gave Mary a rose for valentines and she also got a glass of champagne. She was again lovely, interested in our meal but not intrusive. I cant say enough about this place, it was wonderful, we will defiantly be back and would have no hesitation in recommending the Locke to anyone. You have to try it.

Dear DK009,

I am so happy that we at The Locke Restaurant could make your valentines night so special and that you found it to be such good value.

We are very lucky at The Locke Restaurant, because we only have a limited number of tables available, it means that the restaurant can never be over full and never over crowed. We believe that every night is special and not just valentines night so we strive to ensure that our service and standards are consistent every night.

I have passed on your compliments to both Nora and Joanne who are delighted you enjoyed their service so much. I have also given your feed back to our team of chefs who all have lovely smiles on their faces now because of your comments.

Most of all, your recommendation means so much to us and that you found our service, food and atmosphere to be so good. That is simply what we are aiming for.

Warmest thanks,

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We ate here recently and we all enjoyed the food. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. The restaurant was full but there was no delay in service.The homemade brown bread was fabulous and the polenta cake with chicken for a main was very tasty. Was a little disappointed with cookie dough cheesecake for dessert, it was a bit stodgy. Overall though we were impressed and we will return.

Hollie2007, thank you for your review,

Your comments and feedback are very much appreciated by us all here at The Locke Restaurant. It is so nice to know that even though we were busy that there was no delay in our service or food. Chef is delighted with the feedback on his food, however it is me, myself who has to hold her hand up about the cheesecake. I over see all the deserts personally here at the restaurant so i am very sorry if my cheesecake wasn’t up to standard.

Overall though, i am so glad you were impressed and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Locke Restaurant again.

Kind regards,