“We Loved it !”
Review of Wineport Lodge

Wineport Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife is very adept at finding great hotels for our little breaks.
This time she really got it right. The Wineport Lodge is a little different to your run of the mill hotels. The location alone was worth every penny. We were welcomed and shown to our room by a lovely youg lady who was very chatty and efficient. The room (Burgundy) was just awesome. Very spacious, clean and a balcony overlooking the lake. We spent a lot of time looking out at the view and the peace and quiet was perfect.
We were staying for 2 nights and had dinner on the first night in the restaurant.
Words escape me to describe the food in the Wineport, I loved every morsel. We were very well looked after and the restaurant staff were attentive but not overly so. There is a very relaxed atmosphere in the restaurant which adds to the overall enjoyment. I have to mention the little cup of soup, I was considering cancelling the steak and just ordering a big bowl it.!

We had breakfast in our room on the first morning, arrived on time and was hot and tasty.

We visited Clonmacnoise and Athlone during the day and returned to the hotel that evening where we spent the evening relaxing. We went down for breakfast on the second morning and again were very well looked after and breakfast was lovely.
We loved this place and will definitely return.
The Wine is not a cheap hotel, if you want cheap then don't go here. What you get for your money however is well worth it if you are prepared to pay. This is a special place.
Thank you to all for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear TravellingCouple64,

Reviewed June 10, 2014

We recently stayed in your hotel for one night for our anniversary. It was a last minute booking but I had always wanted to stay here, so it was a nice suprise when my boyfriend said he had booked it. Little did I know that it wouldn't be the only suprise of the night. We arrived to our beautiful lakeview suite which had a lovely chocolate treat wishing us a happy anniversary. The room was luxurious and plush, just what we were looking for. We had booked dinner in the restaurant which didn't disappoint. I am normally one for dessert but after eating such generous meal portions I couldn't fit any more food. The girl at the counter was nice and chatty, Sandra i think her name was. She noticed that we hadn't had dessert even though it was included and swopped this on the bill for the bottle of wine. That was a real nice touch, which we weren't expecting. We then went outside to the gazebo overlooking the lake for some fresh air, which is where by boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed. It was such a romantic location and we had had such a nice day that I couldn't have asked for anything more. The great thing is we will get to go back year after year for our anniversary.

Room Tip: We stayed in the st Julians room which is a lakeview room. I wish I had that view every morning,
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear MS 1982,

We are really thrilled with it.

Congratulations on your engagement!!

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I stayed in Wineport Lodge a few weeks ago and am still raving about it! The hotel's location alone makes it almost impossible to rival. Even the fact that it was pouring rain when we arrived didn't take away from the gorgeous setting. The staff were all so friendly and made us feel very welcome, without being over the top. Our room was fab - spacious and beautifully decorated and I loved the music system, which I could even enjoy while taking a bath! It's the little luxury touches like this that make Wineport stand out for me.
The meal was definitely the highlight of my stay; I can honestly say it was one of the best I've ever had. Norma was lovely in recommending a beautiful wine which complimented our meal perfectly. The restaurant itself is such a lovely place to relax, with an amazing view of the lake. We also enjoyed some cocktails in the cosy bar after dinner - which I would definitely recommend - delicious! And best of all, we were able to enjoy a leisurely breakfast in the bed the following morning, the ultimate luxury for a night away! Can't wait to come back again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bally V

Dear Muiri,

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stayed in the Wineport Lodge for one night for a function. Having heard lots of great things from a colleague, I was looking forward to the stay. Unfortunately, the stay did not meet the expectations. On arrival, an elderly member of our party checked to see if there was a television in the bar where he was approached by a member of staff who sharply asked "are you lost". Following this, quite a few of the party went to order drinks at the bar. A bacardi and coke (the coke being 100ml bottle) cost one of the guests €9.50. This, in my opinion is extortion. Upon entering our room, it was beautifully clean and welcoming. We did not have any shower gel, only shampoo and a bar of soap. That night, my partner called reception to ask for a foam pillow as he is allergic to the feathered ones. We waited 30 minutes for these to arrive and called again. The night porter said he had came to the room and knocked but there was no answer but we were waiting patiently for the knock. A further 20 minutes passed and a knock came to the door and the night porter had two pillows. Breakfast was slim pickings. We arrived to the breakfast room at 9:45 and almost everything was empty. We asked for orange juice, sausages, bacon etc and eventually they were refreshed. Trying to find a member of the breakfast team to order a pot of tea proved difficult. The accommodation at €150 was quite expensive for what was provided considering that 5 star hotels are charging this per night. Overall it was a very expensive stay factoring in the price of drinks at the bar. I would like to recommend this hotel as I work in the hospitality industry myself but after my experience I would find it very difficult to do so. The staff were very nice, especially the dark haired young gentleman who worked in the bar.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank eenymeenyjunior

Dear eenymeenyjunior,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I appreciate your feedback & the points you have made.

How are customers are made feel is of the utmost importance to us.

I wish to apologise to you on behalf of my colleagues.

Your experience has been discussed at our team meeting to ensure this does not happen again.

Best Regards, Norma

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had booked an upgraded room as a treat for the occasion. We were thrilled to find on our arrival that we had been upgraded to the captains suite!!! I suppose the fact it was a Tuesday night in February meant we got a little lucky! So we were escorted to the room by a member of staff and it was honestly the lovliest room I'd ever stayed in it had a downstairs sitting room area with couches table tea making facilities and a lovely gas fire then upstairs to a king size bed and bathroom the main feature is the floor to ceiling window with patios door and balcony looking out on the lake, just fabulous! We relaxed in the room for a whole then down to the bar for a pre dinner drink, an extensive cocktail menu and obviously great choice of wines had me in heaven! Dinner in the restaurant was gorgeous then back to the cosy bar the board games were a nice touch we quite enjoyed a game of scrabble. The staff just could not be more helpful and chatty they really add to the ambience. We had breakfast to
Our room again very tasty the only problem was we'd only booked one night can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear AMSC31,

Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is a lovely hotel and setting is on Lough Ree. Beautiful view from our room which was nice and comfortable. It is out of town so keep that in mind if you have something on on the town. The bar is very small. If the weather isn't good we found there wasn't many places to relax in besides your room. We thought the food in restaurant was good but were not overly impressed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear deisecailin,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I appreciate the points you have mentioned in your review & I will be discussing them with my colleagues.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Thank you to the wineport lodge we were there last Saturday nite for my sister's hen party and the meal was fabulous everyone enjoyed themselves and a big thank you to Norma and all the staff. An amazing place to go. Thank you for all your helf.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear aisling C,

Thank you for posting your review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your evening with us.

Enjoy the wedding & we look forward to forward to welcoming you to Wineport.