“Romantic experience”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Romantic experience”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband got a voucher for his 40th birthday in 2012 but due to circumstances beyond our control we only managed to use it this August. We stayed for two nights. Sunday and Monday. We were quite surprised on driving up to the hotel as it was not at all what we imagined. Spectacularly set on the lake. We were shown to our room which we soon realised had been upgraded complimentarily or us. And what a view! We ate in the restaurant both nights. And both breakfasts were to die for. We took advantage of the fabulous outdoor hot tub which was amazing. A very special mention to the gorgeous Aoife in the bar that weekend. Such a friendly attentive young lady who never let us leave our seat to order and was amazing at remembering people's drinks orders. This weekend was so intimate for both my husband and I at a time we needed time out. Thank you for a fab time.

• Stayed August 2013
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear sharoncorban3,

Thank you posting your review.

I am delighted to read how you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure to bring your compliments to Aoife's attention.

Norma Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Meath, Irelands
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was given a gift of a one night stay with dinner here and I have to say, I'm glad I had the opportunity to dine here. I hadn't heard of the place and it is quite remote, but easy to find and get to from Dublin. On arrival we had to park around the back where the service areas are, which looks quite shoddy on first impression. At reception, the receptionist was very friendly and showed us to our room and gave us a quick tour. The bar area is nice and the staff there were very good too, and the view of the bay is stunning. The lodge itself is all quite wooden and doesn't really have a hotel feel, not to my taste but that's just being picky. All rooms overlook the bay and was beautiful to wake up to.

The restaurant looks good but the food is off the chart. We had our order taken as we waited at the bar, and were seated on time with a dish in front of us straight away . The chef sent us out a sweet potato bahji with a sauce and it without doubt one of the best things I've ever tasted!

For starters I had crispy duck with a homemade brown sauce that would have to be tasted to even describe how good it was, and pork belly for mains that was literally melt in your mouth stuff, unbelievable. Desert was chocolate fondant which was always going to be good! I must point out I did steal a lot of my GFs food too which was also top drawer (Soup and Steak!)

Accommodation was 7/10, staff and location (as a retreat) were positives, but 10/10 for the restaurant, food was unbelievable and will be what I compare any meal to from now on!

E/B

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EatinBiscuits,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Was in need of a break so went in search of somewhere peaceful with good food and great comfort.
We definitely found all of that and more at Wineport lodge.
Staff couldn't have been more attentive. Our room (Alsace) which overlooked that lake, as do all rooms I think, was more than spacious, walk in dressing area, balcony with chairs and table. And then the food! We ate in The Restaurant on both nights. I have to recommend the steak. Pricey but was worth every cent. Perfectly cooked (and one of us is very, very fussy when it comes to steak....). Good wine list to suit all price ranges and tastes.

I wouldn't think its a great place for kids as there isn't much to do at the hotel. The hottub was closed which was a bit disappointing but that's the only fault I can find with the place.

We were blessed with good weather so sat out overlooking the lake. I haven't relaxed so much in a long time.
Perfect for unwinding in a little bit of luxury. Definitely will be back!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Triona01,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you were so pleased with your stay.

Hopefully, we will see you again!

Belfast
Reviewed September 25, 2013

From the moment we arrived we were made so welcome by the receptionist Lorraine and all I can say is the standard of attention and quality never wavered.We have been to many excellent hotels but this one was exceptional in terms of the accommodation,food and service.We had an extremely spacious room with a view overlooking the lake and the dining room also had a stunning view over the lake as well.The quality of the food and the service were first class and we enjoyed an excellent ,freshly cooked breakfast each morning as well as a number of evening meals.The apple and turnip soup on the first night was superb and so were the main courses.The 'little' extra touches were also welcomed and it isn't often that staff will sit down with you at the table to find out how you are enjoying the food.We had four lovely days there thanks to the staff and hopefully we will retuen some day as this is an exceptional place to stay in

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear HarryMurray,

Thank you for posting your review. I am delighted you enjoyed you break with us so thoroughly.

We look forward to seeing you soon again!

DUBLIN
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have just returned from a 3 night midweek stay (16th - 20th September) and I have to say we a little bit disappointed. I travelled with elderly my mother & friends of ours (a married couple in their 80s). We had requested a wheechair accessible room on the ground floor and when we arrived there we were delighted to hear that we had been upgraded (complimentary) to a suite (Pauillac). The suite was gorgeous, huge room with lots of space and with a fabulous view over the lake. Our friends were next door to us in another suite named Margaux and they were very happy initially with theirs. The reason we received the upgrade was because as we had a wheelchair with us they assumed we would need plenty of room, however as my mum was not wheelchair bound (she could get up and walk around the place on a stick) we actually needed the bathroom to be adapted for her i.e. a raised toilet seat with grab rails for her to get up off the toilet and also grab rails in the shower! We complained to managment immediately and in fairness they went out and bought a riser for the toilet but this was actually of no use to her as she found it extremely difficult trying to get up off the toilet. She didn't even attempt to have a shower as it was actually very dangerous for any elderly person (our friends felt the same about their shower and toilet). There is a distinct lack of facilities for the elderly there (even the toilet in the wheelchair room was similar with no grab rails). I'm sure there are lots of elderly people who visit the hotel and I would suggest that you look at this as a matter of urgency. It was such a shame when everything else in the room was so good and couldn't be faulted.
The foyer area is very small and there is not much room for anyone to sit around there. However we were lucky to sit there one night with a roaring fire and it was pleasant.
The exterior of the hotel needs a bit of a facelift e.g. the grass area in front of the lake and also the doors and actual structure from the outside. The door from the bar into the corridor on the ground floor leading to the rooms in very worn looking and needs a bit of repair. The food and drink were very expensive in the Dining Room and the Bar so we only ate there on our first night. We found a very nice restaurant locally called The Village Restaurant in Glasson and the food was superb (a 3 course early bird menu for 27 euro and a glass of wine for 5 euro) so we ate there for the remaining two nights of our stay.

I am sorry to be so negative but I am telling it as it is. I will be writing a separate letter to Jane English re: the Health and Safety issue on disabled guests.

Having said that the staff were very friendly and accomodating and they made us feel very welcome.

I would appreciate your comments re: the above if you wish to reply.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank IRISHGAL007Dublin
Dear IRISHGAL007Dublin,

Thank you for posting your review.

I would be happy to chat to you.

Please feel free to contact me directly.

Dublin
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was our first visit to this hotel but it certainly will not be our last. Location is perfect as I would say is every aspect of this hotel. Management and staff have everything perfected. It is the first place I would have in mind if I wanted a lovely quiet break. Could not fault anything no matter how hard I tried.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DublinBreda
Norma W, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear DublinBreda,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am really delighted that you enjoyed your visit to us & look forward to welcoming you back.

Ireland
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is a fantastic location especially with nice weather however you are away from a town. Rooms were lovely and large with a nice view. It is very pricey however for what you are ultimately getting.
Food is fantastic and service was good. It is a nice retreat location however if you were looking for a bit more of a busy break it would probably not be suitable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Luv2Travel1020110,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I appreciate your feedback & will consider your comments.