“Excellent!”
Review of Wineport Lodge

Wineport Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed July 8, 2013

By some fluke, we happened upon the Wineport Lodge shortly before we were going to drive back to Dublin. We stopped and ate a very pleasant lunch at the lakeside, and as the weather was unusually good, we enquired about a room for the night, to stretch the weekend out a bit further. Luckily again, they had one free.

We were shown to our room by a very friendly staff member. And what a room for the price! A really stunning view of the lake, a balcony, a large very comfortable bed, brand new bathroom with heated floor, bottled water... I could go on. We were extremely pleased with virtually every aspect of the hotel. I believe there is also a hot tub on the roof, but we didn't use it. The whole experience was superb, and the proprietors should be proud of their staff, the lovely hotel, and magnificent location.

Room Tip: Not sure if all rooms overlook the lake, but if not, ask for one that does. The view is breathtakin...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UpdateProfile
oliviaanne, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear UpdateProfile,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay so much.

Regards, Norma

Write a ReviewReviews (1,118)

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I have been a big fan of Wineport Lodge for many years but much more so now as we had our wedding there in May. From the planning stages right up to the day itself Celine, Norma and everyone at Wineport excelled and made sure everything was just perfect. Our guests were so well looked after and everyone raved about the incredible food, the relaxed setting and the beautiful rooms! I couldn't recommend Wineport enough. We have plans to return again and again and it will always be a special place for us. Truly wonderful!

• Stayed: May 2013
oliviaanne, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear lcolli,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your lovely review, I am delighted to hear that all your guests were well looked after and everyone raved about the incredible food, the relaxed setting and the beautiful rooms.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 4, 2013

What a great place to relax and enjoy yourself. The setting on the lough ree is perfect and the hotel is built to take maximum advantage of the location. The rooms are spotless with all the amenities you would expect from a fine hotel. Their is no reason to leave for dinner as you will find the restaurant food and service outstanding. I recommend the filet as the do a superb job.
The staff could not have been friendlier.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
oliviaanne, General Manager at Wineport Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Sherpa2286,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your lovely review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear you were especially pleased with the setting, the cleanliness of the room, the dinner & our staff.

We hope to welcome you back to Wineport Lodge in the future.

If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Myself and my two sisters are just back from a two nights break to celebrate my Moms birthday. First impressions was the magnificent setting, it was spectacular. We were shown to our rooms, which both equally had a stunning view of the lough, it was such a tranquil location I cannot praise it enough. We had booked a boat trip which included a picnic, which I would highly recommend, the basket of sandwiches, scones, cake and tea and coffee were "top class". The skippered was a very pleasant and informative man, and showed great admiration for my Mom who had just turned 87. We ate in the bar on the first night as we were still quite full after the picnic, and the food was very tasty and the service was excellent. We availed of the opportunity to have breakfast in our room on the first morning at no extra charge which I must say is a lovely touch, and food arrived on time and piping hot. Both my sisters and myself used the hot tub which was a hidden gem, but unfortunately the view of the lough was obstructed. We had dinner in the restaurant on the second evening, and needless to say, presentation, flavour and service was "top class". Breakfast in the restaurant on our final morning, was again, very tasty, and service very prompt. We were very sad to be checking out, and we all agreed without doubt that we will return.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor which is ideal if you are travelling with an older member.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear gercumberton,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your lovely review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear you, your sisters & your mother were especially pleased with the picnic & boat trip, the food & the service.

We hope to welcome you back to Wineport Lodge in the future.

If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed one night in the Wineport Lodge and I must say that from the minute we arrived, it was fantastic. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was beautiful and the view is fantastic. It really is a retreat.
But there was one experience that niggled us. We went into the restaurant and were greeted by a woman (hostess?) who was looking for a table for us, she did not ask for our names, room number so (trying to be helpful) I told her we had a table booked (to save her searching for a a free table). Her reply and reaction was appalling and simply uncalled for, she told me she knew that in a very rude manner. I was shocked at her reaction, and my husband could not believe the way she spoke to me. I have never experienced this in a restaurant before. This really annoyed me to be treated in this manner especially when we have paid so much for this stay.
The rest of the staff could not do enough but this woman was very rude indeed.

Dear aud C,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughtd with us, I am delighted to hear you thought the staff were very helpful and friendly and the room was beautiful and the view is fantastic.

I am very disappointed to hear your experience in the restaurant was below standard.

I would hope this experience would not deter your return to Wineport Lodge.
We genuinely try to offer excellent standards of food & service at all times & should you wish to return I would be delighted to have the opportunity to make amends.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We really enjoyed a fabulous two night break away . Our room was beautifully decorated with a hugh bathroom, extremely comfortable & a great view across the lake . The first night we got bar food delivered to our room everything was just as we ordered & tasted gorgeous . Breakfast the following morning was delivered to our room on time with nice hot food . We enjoyed it looking out onto the lake watching the swans & a small boat doing some fishing , a lovely relaxing start to our day. We drove into Glasson village & then went for a lovely walk nearby that was recommended to us by the girl on the reception desk . The second night we dined in 'The Restaurant' , the food was really delicious & the staff were friendly . Afterwards we enjoyed a very tasty cocktail in the bar. We had some car trouble the following morning after checking-out . The girl on reception that moring was so understanding & helpful she had the jump-leads out & asked Sandra & two lads to jump-start our car to get us on the road home .Nothing was too much trouble to them they really went out of their way to help us , thank you. I would highly recommed this hotel to anybody looking for a relaxing break. Thank you to all the staff for a great stay looking forward to a return visit some day i hope !!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank procus

Dear procus,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your lovely review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear you were especially pleased with our food & our staff.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to Wineport Lodge in the future.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just back from a stay at the Wineport Lodge and can only agree with the reviewer below that described it as “Chicken soup for the soul!” My partner, Paula, and I had been tempted many times to go stay at this hotel - it was on our wish list and we finally scratched it off the list last Monday! We were looking for a hotel to park up the car and just recharge our batteries. And that is what we got and more.

If you are looking for great service, great dining, pure relaxation and fabulous views then this is the place for you.
When we arrived we were greeted by a lovely woman on reception who, though we were early, checked us in immediately and brought us to our room. It was a wee bit of a walk but so worth it as we discovered that we had been up graded to a suite, the Bordeaux. When, not if, we return we will definitely try to book this suite again!

The hotel, and the rooms that we saw, are spotlessly clean. Every member of staff that we met made us feel welcome, but not in a false over the top way, and nothing seemed too much trouble. The staff at this hotel would be an asset to any business and should be cherished by the management and owners of the Wineport.

We dined in the Restaurant on both nights. The food is excellent and good value. Unfortunately, we never did find out what the desserts were like as we were too full after the starter and main course – a good complaint lol.

This hotel is on the edge of Lough Ree and the view is fabulous. The hotel makes the most of it’s location with a veranda with tables and chairs along the front and also tables and chairs on the grass area just alongside the lake. Ashtrays for the smokers among us are provided and cleaned continuously. The weather was not at its best when we were there but we did manage to have a coffee, or two, at the outside tables provided. (By the way – this hotel does very nice coffees!)

We checked out at 11.30 on Wednesday but were still sitting outside, sipping a last coffee, at 1300 – we just did not want to leave! But we are looking forward to coming back.

Dear Eils1,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your lovely review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear you were especially pleased with the the cleanliness of the room, the service & our staff.
I am also delighted to hear that you went home with your batteries recharged!

We would love to welcome you back to Wineport Lodge in the future.