“Great location”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Stayed overnight in old part of hotel. Had previously stayed in newer part and while the rooms there are of a higher standard, the view was definitely better in the old part! I'm not sure if it is possible to book a room with a view in the old part though! Room was fine, bed was comfortable staff were friendly, spa and leisure centre were great. Breakfast was very busy, but staff were efficient. Will order breakfast to the room next time so I can enjoy the Lake view! Didn't have kids with us, but there were lots of kids around and all they seemed to be having a great time and there seemed to be lots for them to do.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2010

Dear Guest

It was wonderful to read that there were many positive aspects to your stay and I would also like to thank you for your comments. At the hotel we use feedback such as yours to look at ways to improve the service and experience that our guest receive when they stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and hopefully you will bring your children next time.

There are newer reviews for Hodson Bay Hotel

Reviewed August 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I decided we needed a relaxing break so we went ahead and booked our fav spot the Hodson Bay. This was our third time to the hotel together and we just love it. We were booked into the retreat section dropped our bags and headed straight to the pool. The pool is amazing if you are an active swimmer like my fella or a lounger in the hydro pool like me. We went for dinner in the restaurant that night and had a fab meal, my boyfriend is a chef and could not praise the food enough, my steak was top notch. After dinner we headed straight into town ( by the hotels taxi triver Jim who is nicest man and full of chat). Athlone is a great spot for a few drinks especailly the Prince of Wales pub which is young and lively. Karma nightclub is good crack and I would defiently reccomend it. The next morning we had breakfast in bed, very nice breakfast and then we headed to the water sports which is just beside the hotel. I wont really go into it but lets just say I am defiently not a water baby! LOL My boyfriend loved it and he took to it like a duck to water. We had a really nice lunch in the bar with a sneaky afternoon beer and then we headed straight to the spa ( my fav part of any holiday)
The spa was perfect as always, and my facial was a dream.
I could go on about this hotel forever and we will defiently be back. We just have to find another excuse to take another break!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lilywhite77

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for such cheerful and positive feedback. Both you and your boyfriend seemed to have really enjoyed your time at the hotel and you also got to experience all of the facilities the hotel has to offer. I am delighted you enjoyed Athlone's hotspots, as the town has so much to offer. Please make us aware when you are returning to the hotel as I would be delighted to meet and welcome you back.

Reviewed August 12, 2010

Last weekend we stayed in the Hodson Bay Hotel,It was arranged by my fiancee as a surprise for me-a welcome one as it turned out.We arrived on Friday evening an had dinner in the main restaurant,the food was fantastic ,the staff were very friendly and helpful,I was booked in for a deep tissue massage on Saturday morning before breakfast,I emerged extremely relaxed and refreshed,After a breakfast fit for royalty we strolled around the grounds and out by the lake-where we took a boat cruise of the lake,we returned in the afternoon and I went to the bar to have a few drinks while my fiancee had a facial before dinner,we returned to the bar after the meal as there was a band playing which rounded off the evening nicely.We left shortly after breakfast on Sunday as I had a game that afternoon but we're already booked in for the next bank holiday weekend and are bringing some friends along to experiance a great relaxing weekend for themselves!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive feedback. It was great that both you and your fiancee had the opportunity to experience so many of the facilities the hotel has to offer. I am delighted that you had such a good stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you both back. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in organising your return visit with your friends.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

Just returned from a couple of days stay at that Hodson Bay Hotel had a wonderful time. The hotel is beautifully situated on the lake. There are two sections to the hotel, we stayed in the older section with the kids in an interconnecting room which was wonderful for the kids (and us!!). The rooms were prefectly adequate, clean and well serviced throughout the stay. The kids loved the kids camp and excellent pool.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the dinner in the restaurant was superb, kids ate in the camp which freed my husband and I to have dinner at ease. All in all a wonderful stay and I am looking forward to returning soon

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest

It is always very encouraging for the management and staff at the hotel to read such positive comments. Our aim at the hotel is to ensure that each guest that visits the hotel, whether it be for one night or a family break, has the opportunity to experience all the facilities that we have to offer, and leaves the hotel looking forward to a return visit. I am delighted that you had such a good stay with us and I look forward to welcoming both you and your family back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

I'm not normally a person for writing reviews however my stay recently in the Hodson Bay Hotel was so fantastic that I felt that it deserves the effort. I went away with a few friends for a two night break. From the minute we checked in we were made feel very special, the staff were friendly and made us feel like their family. We had dinner on both evenings in the restaurant and the food was gorgeous, great variety on the menu, accompanied by some very nice wine. We each had a treatment in the spa, all I can say about that is that is was out of this world. We had breakfast at leisure each morning and again the variety and quality was superb. The most impressive thing i must say about the hotel is the staff, there friendliness and professionalism was second to none. I will definitely be returning to the Hodson Bay Hotel, in fact I'm in the process of organising a family reunion and now i have found the ideal location to hold it. Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful time.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

It was delightful to read such heartful comments, and we truly appreciate such positive feedback. At the hotel we are priviliged to have exceptional staff, many of whom have been with us for a number of years, and they take great pride in the standard of service offered to our guests. I am delighted that both you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. Please make us aware when you wish to hold your family reunion, as we would love to help in any way we can and I would be delighted to meet and welcome you upon your return to the the hotel.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

A group of old college mates decided to meet up and we wanted to go somewhere central with lots to do. Hodson Bay it was.
So what can I say ... words can’t describe my stay and how special we were made feel.
I’m not going to lie the Hotel was busy and had a wedding coming in. There was a lot of excitement around the main lobby and outside.
We were checked in with little delay and we were shown to our room. We had some adjoining rooms and we were all pretty close which was great. There was fruit in our room and a letter and flowers form one of the ladies who could not make the trip.
Our rooms were bright and fresh . . . . . however if you are going to have a few “7ups” the night before be sure to close the curtains before you hit the hay, as we had one or two (bottles) of wine in the bar chatting about old time. Good atmosphere, there was table service also which was brill.
We had Spa treatment booked for the Saturday, we made sure to arrive early and had lots of time in the thermal area. I’m a Spa lover and I had high expectations for it and it live up to each and more. My therapist was amazing I think Joslan was her name. What a way to finish your treatment and experience by undisturbed views overlooking the water. Amazing.
I would advise to book early for dinner, as time get booked pretty fast especially for peak times. We eat about 6.30 which suited and headed for Athlone.
Sean’s bar is def worth a look. It is “the oldest” bar in Ireland. It had a good mix between locals and strangers. Trad music playing and the bar staff were great. ( or was it just because it was a group of 8 ladies)
Headed back to the Hotel and even the taxi guy spoke highly about the venue.
I cannot recommend this Hotel enough and the Wedding crew seemed to have good craic but not interfere with the other people in the hotel too much.
There was a kids club also and they were out playing in the front so next time I might bring my 2 devils with me.
Breakfast is a must try.. the array of fruit, cereals and yogurts had me spoilt for choice.
Even though we only stayed for 2 nights I was more relaxed than a week in the sun!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for such upbeat and positive feedback. Both you and your group seemed to have really enjoyed your time at the hotel and you also got to experience some of the charm which Athlone has to offer. We are fortunate to have been quite busy over the summer period, and this can be quite challenging to manage as we have such a broad range of guests. Thankfully we are in a position to be able to facilitate each guests needs whether its a family holiday, group night away or a short romantic getaway. I am delighted that both you and your group had such an enjoyable stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

Second time to stay in this hotel. Possibly even better than the first. Room was excellent with great views of lough ree. Food and staff great, as before. They have introduced a bar food menu since our last stay, which suited us perfectly. The swimming pool is very modern and a great way to relax before breakfast.
Only negative would be live music, there was music at the weekend, but not much midweek. Lots to do around Athlone though, and it's not too far. There was a festival on in the town the week we stayed also.
Hodson Bay and Athlone are highly recommended and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Its always great to see guest coming back to the hotel time and time again. We have many guest that have been coming to the hotel for years, which of course is very rewarding for management and staff alike and it really encourages us to keep doing a good job. Mid week in the hotel we run various activites for guests, which include Wine Tasting, Spa Talks, Bingo and may more, and it is unfortunate that this information was not relayed to you. Please make us aware when you are returning to the hotel as I would be delighted to meet and welcome you back.