“Lovely Hotel.”

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
“Lovely Hotel.”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel, nice rooms and excellent staff. Food was very good too. However, the temperature in the rooms and the public areas is far too hot, which spoiled an otherwise great stay. The air conditioning in the room was useless, and even with the window open all night, it was impossible to cool the room.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Hodson Bay Hotel. You mention in your comment that we have 'excellent staff'. It was great to see that our standard of customer service throughout the hotel was fantastic and I will make sure to display your kind words in our staff facilities. Its important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication, especially in these tough times. We feel very privileged to be so busy, especially in these tough and economic times.

Customer care and satisfaction is the key to any successful business and we get a lot of repeat and regular guests because of this. We are also central to all parts of Ireland and have a beautiful natural waterside location just outside our door.

You mentioned in you comment that there was a problem with the air conditioning and I apologise profusely for this. All of you comments have been taken on board and we appreciate your feedback.

Overall, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you have since returned to make many more happy memories at Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Tim Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hi folks We had a much needed girlie pamper weekend. hotel location amazing, rooms lovely, staff v v friendly and v accommodating. Spa pampering was great and felt v v relaxed after our stay. highly recommend a visit to this hotel.

Room Tip: stay for a minimum of two nights to take advantage of this fantastic hotel / spa! register with hot...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Guest

I really appreciate your feedback and its important that when parties like yourselves spend valuable time in our hotel the we meet and exceed your expectations

Once again thank you and if you are ever looking at returning please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

dublin
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at hotel for a wedding recently. Entire extended family also stayed. Our rooms were clean and reasonably spacious but a little dated. However we felt that this was reflected in the price and that we got good value for money. Out of four rooms booked all had heating regulation issues. The rooms were either freezing or too hot. Instructions in the room on how to work the heating would be good. Also rooms need bedside lamps with separate switches on BOTH sides of the beds and an extra plug socket somewhere in the room would make the room more practical. Our room had a double bed and single bed. The double bed was too close to the wall on one side with no bedside cabinet and no access to a light. The hotel is a lovely venue and setting for a wedding and overall we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused with regards the heat/cold in your room. I have also noted the feedback with regard to the make up and dated look. We are currently refurbishing a large element of our rooms and I feel all raised concerns will be addressed.

It was unfortunate that I did not get to speak with you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have offered you a move to a more suitable room or some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill. I can assure you that customer care and satisfaction is of utmost importance to us here at the hotel and I will raise your concerns at our next Management meeting.

I appreciate you mentioned that you enjoyed your stay overall and if you are looking at returning please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@Hodsonbayhotel.com

Galway
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

We had a 50th wedding anniversary in The Hodson Bay Hotel last weekend and it was brilliant from start to finish. There were 20 of us in total and has a fab meal in The Library on the Friday night. The room was brilliant as we has a number of children in the group; the service was great and the food and wine was excellent. The children also loved their food and liked that they got great attention from the staff.We ordered a cake for the celebrations but we decided not to eat it on the night and the staff but it in fridge for us and we has same with coffee on the Saturday and the cake was superb. Thanks to William in reservations for all his help and to the waiting staff on the Friday night who were so helpful, pleasant and kind. Also to the staff on breakfast all very helpful. We would highly recommend this hotel. Marie

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Marie M
Dear Guest

I have displayed your comments in our teams facilities and I will endeavour to pass on your kind words to William O Reilly. It’s positive feedback such as yours that motivates and encourages team performance and enthusiasm, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

We appreciate that you have spent your valuable time here with us and if you are looking at returning again I would be more that happy to look after you. Please contact me at thayes@Hodsonbayhotel.com

tullamore
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Enjoyed our stay immensely, was taking part in concert, and decided to bring the whole family, whether they liked it or not, and they did! Some rooms in the hotel still appear to be revamped, and some corridors too, as there is a disconnect in stylistic terms between some parts of the hotel, if that makes any sense. The room was also too hot, and had we been staying longer, we would have needed to do something about this. The big downside for our troops, was the lack of wifi in the room, with wifi available at reception. However, the troops grumbled over this, but decided to go swimming instead, much healthier, anyway. However, if I were on a business trip, I would be very frustrated with the lack of internet in the room. This needs to be addressed. The room needed to be redecorated. We had dinner in L'escale, and whilst the food is excellent, the service was atrocious from our waitress. However, the quality and taste of the food was top notch, and every morsel was savoured with great relish. Breakfast was excellent also, with a great choice, healthy and unhealthy, I would love to return for another restful break, but will check that the room has wifi first, and I can imagine that a view over the lake would be spectacular. Will def give this another shot.

Room Tip: choose a room with a lake-view, as I suspect these are better maintained than the one we were in.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I really appreciate your feedback and I would like to thank you for taken your time to but your concerns in writing and reviewing our hotel on trip advisor. I have taken note of the areas of improvement and we are constantly looking at areas for improvement

On a positive note, I was really happy to hear that everything else throughout your stay was to the high standard we expect and achieve here on a consistent basis and I will pass on your kind words to the team.
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed January 23, 2014

What a wonderful time we had. We had a great time from the moment we arrived until we left – with the boys wanting to come back again 

What was really evident was the staff all give 110% in ensuring the guests want for nothing.

We did the Archery on the Saturday afternoon with Jim, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I also must pay huge compliments to the Restaurant staff. We ate in the restaurant on Saturday night, and the staff and food were amazing, particularly Christina. She was so helpful, especially as we had organised a birthday cake for the boys that night. Also on Sunday, before we left, Michael Dolan was so helpful in getting the left over cake for us and sorting us with tea and coffee.

We will definitely be back, and are looking into maybe coming with extended family another time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here in the Hodson Bay Hotel. It was great to hear that you found the standards throughout the hotel to be of such a high calibre and I will endeavour to pass on your kind words to the rest of the Management Team.

You mention in your comment that you would like to 'pay huge compliments to the Restaurant staff' and that 'the food was amazing'. Customer satisfaction is key to us here at the Hodson Bay and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed dining with us at our award-winning restaurant.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you have since returned to make many more happy memories at Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Dungloe, Ireland
Reviewed January 21, 2014

It was a pleasure to stay in this hotel. From the minute we checked in until we left, the staff were the best I have come across during any hotel stay, even to the point of just saying hello if you met them in the corridor. The food was great and not expensive and again nothing was a problem to any member of staff. The room was spotless, as was the leisure centre. A great location to enjoy a break and will certainly return soon I hope. The location was great and next time I will get a room overlooking the bay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. It was fantastic to hear that the customer service you received from start to finish was of such a high standard and that all your groups needs were accommodated.

You mentioned that 'the staff were the best I have come across during any hotel stay'. Thank you for such kind words. It was great to see that our standard of customer service throughout the hotel was fantastic and I will make sure to display your kind words in our staff facilities. Its important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication, especially in these tough times.