“A pleasant stay”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a nice hotel in a beautiful setting. It was very busy the night I stayed here with several conferences on. Check in was efficient and we got a lovely spacious room with great lakeside views. Lunch in the bar was fine (bar the crisps listed as chips on the menu!) Dinner in the restaurant was lovely with great waiter service and advice on the wines on offer. I am not a big fan of buffet breakfast but it was fine with plenty on offer.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

We feel very privileged to have been so busy and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will make sure to relay your comments to the rest of the Management team. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and loyalty to the hotel.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do return please feel free to contact me as I would like the opportunity to meet with you and thank you in person for your feedback and custom.

There are newer reviews for Hodson Bay Hotel

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here with our here children over Halloween and were very impressed overall. The setting of the hotel is lovely and in good weather there would be so much to do. The hotel restaurant was excellent. Every element of the two three course meals we had there was without fault. Unfortunately the bar, where we ate on one of our three nights, was poor both in Terms of food and slow service. The fish pie I ordered had two pieces of fish hidden in a plate of mashed potatoes. Our room was fine, quite small and simple but adequate for our needs. The kids club was ok. I think it would be best for children with other siblings or friends as there was No effort to connect newcomers with children their own age . This meant our shy
8 year old only went once! Overall thought a great hotel in a lovely spot.

• Stayed: November 2013
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was disappointed to hear that your son never returned to Kids Camp and I’m sure it would not be the intention of any of our Kids Camp Staff to make him feel left out. I will pass on your comments to our Leisure Centre Manager so he can discuss with his team. We take great pride in being a family friendly hotel and the hotel in fact is a family run business.

I have passed on your comments to our Executive Head Chef, with regarding your dining experience in our L’Escale Restaurant and in our Bar Area. He would like to thank you for your positive comments and your valued criticisms and he pass on your information to his team.

We would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed here for one night recently and it certainly would be no chore to return. Beautiful lakeside location, super spacious well laid out room, efficient friendly staff. Excellent food :)
An excellent base to explore this beautiful part of the country :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnN30

Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was heartening to hear that everything was to the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis and your feedback is greatly appreciated. It was also lovely to read that you appreciated the views and scenery around the hotel. We feel very privileged to have this natural waterside location just outside our door and the area itself is a wonderful nature reserve.

We would love to see you return to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please make sure to contact me as I would like to thank you in person for your review and valued custom.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Had a lovely 2 night stay at the hotel this week. Great kids club during the mid term break. Lovely pool. Food excellent. Beautiful lake, friendly staff. Comfortable room. A very pleasant experience! This was our second time at the hotel and will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. I was happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and might I add that your repeat business is greatly appreciated.

It was fantastic to see that you and your family got the opportunity to avail of the facilities on offer here at the hotel. We are constantly looking at ways to improve and meet our guests’ needs and our activities are always under review. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and hotel itself is in fact a family run business.

It was great to hear that you found the standards throughout the hotel to be of such a high caliber and I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the rest of the Management Team.

We would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person and thank you for your valued custom and feedback.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

4 Star?? Definitely not, it is 3 star unless you bump up a hotels rating a star because they added a leisure centre. The hotel is in a promising location but the build of the hotel is cowboy style. No thought put into the structure..bits added on through the years. Who builds a hotel and thinks it is fine for guests to have a room looking out onto the roof (not flat) of an extension. Do I get a discount for that??? Sorry but that is not 4 star, especially when the room was basic, had the thinnest duvet ever, no blanket in wardrobe and thin walls so I could hear every step and syllable of people walking by the room and children being children, running around making noise. No if you want to experience the setting, go for coffee and then back into Athlone town for a decently appointed hotel room, not a ramshackle one. Why don't you put snaps of your rooms without views on the web, give a fair picture of your product offering to people. Breakfast too was a bit of a joke, the attendant at the hot breakfast counter opening and closing each container per person in the long queues, so it took forever to get served, they are heated so keep them open and get on with it!!!! Or let people serve themselves like most hotels do, or display it like carvery setting so it is quicker to dish out. Unbelievable. .

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, if they cant confirm one, then go to another hotel as you will end up so...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RealReview

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to hear that your room was not to your satisfaction.

It was very unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room or offered you some form of recompense for any anxiety caused. Extra bedding etc. is available from our Accommodation team on request and they would have been more than happy to accommodate your needs if requested. I can assure you that customer care and satisfaction is extremely important to us here at the hotel and we do get a lot of repeat and regular guests because of this hence the reason we are privileged to have been so busy.

We would not be happy to allow our guests to leave the hotel with a negative impression. We would be delighted if you would return to the hotel in the near future and afford us the opportunity to make amends. If you do wish to return, please make sure to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your stay is a more enjoyable one.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I really didnt enjoy it very much. it was fine but sleeping arrangements were AWFUL. we made reservesations but there was a mix up. We were put in the penthouse BUT my children were sleeping on the floor! it says on their website that theiir penthouse cant acccomadate children and they were the ones who put us in there! the next night we were put in an awful room without enough space. I knew my father in law would go MAD if he heard about it and my children are very young and I was terrified that they might spill the beans. It was all right in the end and they sent us a voucher for the hotel BUT THEN we tried to use it and there was ANOTHER mix up they didnt have the right reservations! I wouldnt reccomend their service but they rest was fine

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. As a father of three young children myself, I was disappointed to read of your experience. I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we maintain and achieve here on a consistent basis.

I have spoken to our Reservations Manager and she too would like to apologise profusely for the anxiety caused to you and your family. She has assured me that she will schedule training with her team immediately to prevent incidents like this arising again in the future.

We would not be happy to allow our guests to leave the hotel with a negative impression. We would be delighted if you and your family would return to the hotel in the near future and afford us the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. If you do wish to return, please make sure to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure room is a more suitable one and offer you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed here with our two children aged 7 and 5.
The children loved the kids club as there were loads of activities and the leaders catered to all their needs.
The hotel was fantastic to stay in and the dinner in the restaurant was divine.
We availed of the Viking boat trip which was very enjoyable for all of us.
This hotel is fantastic if you have children.
The spa was very good and very clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is in fact a family run business. We are very central to lots of family amenities as well as hosting many indoor activities to keep both young and old entertained.

I was delighted to hear that you and your children got the opportunity to avail of our kids camp during your stay. As a father of three myself, I understand how nice it is for us parents to get the chance to relax and spend some quality time together away from the kids and mostly importantly, to be confident their in safe hands.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet with you and your family in person and thank you for your fantastic review.