“Absolutely Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Dublin, Ireland
“Absolutely Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We took my partners 12 year old twins for an overnight stay and we all are absolutely blown away by this hotel. This hotel really provides everything you expect from a 4 star hotel and much more. The location is beautiful, the staff was friendly and accomodating, the food was excellent and the layout of the family room (218) is very clever - with the two parts of the room being separated by a coridor. The room also has a big fridge which enabled us to bring our own snacks and drinks for the kids. The pool area is gorgeous and clean, there was a life guard on duty and it was obvious that he took this job seriously - so we could enjoy ourselves without constantly watching the kids. Great music in the bar in the evening.
The management of the hotel with their staff seem to understand that staying in a hotel is a big deal in times like this and they do their very best to provide an excellent experience. Everyting was just perfect. This is probably the best hotel we have been to in Ireland and we will be back.

Room Tip: Room 218 is a great family room, great view also.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your lovely words on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to hear that you had such a memorable time here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and we feel very privileged to have had your custom.

We are very fortunate to have been so busy and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will make sure to relay your comments to the rest of the Management team. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as its important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and loyalty to the hotel.

I was delighted to see that you got the opportunity to avail of some of our in house facilities during your stay. We host many indoor & outdoor activities and we are constantly looking at ways to improve to meet all our guest’s needs.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do return please feel free to contact me as I would like the opportunity to meet with you and thank you in person for your feedback and custom.

Timothy Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
County Donegal, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

an overnight break started well, with no problem about checking in (very) early.... the setting is glorious (assisted by a lovely sunny Autumn day) - room very well appointed, and quiet (not too many channels on the TV, but this isn't a place to come to to sit in your room and watch TV!) - didn't use the spa, but the pool, with an array of features to massage the body and soul, was great - even a kids' swimming lesson going on didn't spoil the enjoyment... had lunch, and a bar meal in the Waterfront Bar - both were tasty, and served by friendly staff.... breakfast was good, with plenty of fruit etc., to add to the "full Irish" - plenty of space around the hotel to relax quietly (we sat in the library, reading the newspapers, and we had the place to ourselves...) we had a great stay, and would recommend wholeheartedly....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you had such a wonderful time during your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was fantastic to see that you got the opportunity to avail of many of our in-house facilities during your stay and that you appreciated the beauty of our location, for which we are very privileged. It was lovely to hear that you found our food and our customer service skills during your stay to of such a high standard and I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the rest of the Management Team.

We would love to see you both back at the hotel in the near future. Please make sure to contact me if you do return as I would love to get the opportunity to meet with you in person.

Galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Last week myself and my partner spent two nights in the Hodson Bay and I have to say it was an amazing break. We enjoyed every part of it. Breakfast each morning was delicious. We ate in the bar one night and the restaurant the next and again the food and service were super. One of highlights of our stay was the leisure centre and the thermal suite, they were so relaxing and enjoyable, couple that with the spectacular views and we felt like we were in paradise. Thanks to all the team for making our stay special

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you and your partner have such high recommendations of your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was lovely to hear that you found the food during your stay to of such a high standard. I passed on your kind words to Mr. Rory Gabriel, our Executive Head Chef and he too would like to send you his sincere thanks. A lot of hard work and dedication goes into sourcing local suppliers and we are constantly reviewing our methods of selection, preparation and cooking. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

It was also fantastic to see that you both got the opportunity to avail of many of our in-house facilities during your stay and that you appreciated the beauty of our location, for which we are very privileged.

We would love to see you both back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please make sure to contact me as I would like to thank you in person for your review and valued custom.

cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed in Hodson Bay last weekend, there was a mix up on ourside reception staff went the extra mile to get me aroom . Had friend on sixth floor super rooms and facilities. Lovely food on Friday, good mix of staff. Full house but no sign of panic. Will return great value to be had. Well done to all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

Customer care and satisfaction is the key to any successful business and I was happy to hear that you found our staff ‘went the extra mile’. I will make sure to display your kind words in our team’s facilities as its important for staff morale, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

Malahide, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We booked this last minute and got an amazing deal. This hotel is a must with small kids. The deal consisted of breakfast, overnight family room with ample space, an amazing breakfast and then to top it all off, there was a secure supervised kids club from 7 pm to 10 pm that night. An amazing bonus for tired parents with four year old twins. The hotel is spotless and the staff were so friendly especially the lovely girl that checked us in who was only getting trained that day. She was amazing. The pool is a must for energetic kids and my husband loved the fact that there was a hydro therapy section. I can't fault this hotel in any way, we will certainly be making the trip again.

Room Tip: Family room is so spacious, you don't need interconnecting!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was really happy to see that you and your family were impressed by everything that was on offer for families in the hotel. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is actually a family run business. We host many activities for both young and old and our Kids Camp gives the adults some time to relax and unwind. As a father of three myself, I understand how important that is.

We feel very privileged to have been so busy to date and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will make sure to relay your comments to the rest of the Management team. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as its important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and loyalty to the hotel.

We would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person.

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a 1 night stay in this hotel. It was a really enjoyable experience. I stayed in room 608 which is in the new section of the hotel. The room was very spacious with a really comfie bed. Decor was modern and very easy on the eye. Check in was v swift and efficient. I enjoyed a lovely swim in the fabulous leisure centre. It has stunning views of the shannon. Dinner in L'Escale restaurant was top notch. The steak I had was top notch!! Breakfast the next morning in the Octagon restaurant was great with a wide selection of hot and cold foods. Check out was also quick and efficient.
If I had one minor quibble, it would be that the bar area is quite dated.
A thoroughly enjoyable experience and I look forward to returning in the near future!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Eimear99
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was really happy to read that your room was to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed the views from the hotel. We feel very privileged to have this natural waterside location just outside our door and the area itself is a wonderful nature reserve.

Our Executive Head Chef, Mr. Rory Gabriel would like to thank you for your comments regarding your dinner in our L’Escale Restaurant. A lot of hard work and dedication goes into sourcing local suppliers and we are constantly reviewing our methods of selection, preparation and cooking. Your feedback was greatly appreciated.

Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We wanted to keep this hotel secret, because if too many people know of it, we'll never get a room when we want. We spent a glorious 2 nights there in July, 2013. As disabled seniors, the receptionist ensured we had a suitable room, which turned out to be perfect, with views of the lake and all the activities outside. The attraction for us though, was the hydrotherapy pool/spa, with aquaerobics in the indoor swimming pool; sheer bliss for aching muscles and joints. Breakfasts were good and tasty, and we had our evening meal while out exploring the beautiful Athlone region. The only negative seems to be common for Irish holidays; the evening entertainment doesn't start till our bedtime!

Room Tip: If, like us, you have special needs, book by telephone and discuss these with receptionist, who'...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank Judith Elizabet... M
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you have so many happy memories of your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was over the moon to hear that your room was perfect and that you got the opportunity to avail of our hydro-therapy pool and leisure facilities during your stay. Customer care and satisfaction is the key to any successful business and I was happy to see that both your needs were accommodated throughout your stay.

We would be honored to welcome you both back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet with you in person and thank you for your appreciated custom and your kind words.