“super hotel great staff”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
cork
“super hotel great staff”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed in Hodson Bay last weekend, there was a mix up on ourside reception staff went the extra mile to get me aroom . Had friend on sixth floor super rooms and facilities. Lovely food on Friday, good mix of staff. Full house but no sign of panic. Will return great value to be had. Well done to all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

Customer care and satisfaction is the key to any successful business and I was happy to hear that you found our staff ‘went the extra mile’. I will make sure to display your kind words in our team’s facilities as its important for staff morale, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do return please feel free to contact me as I would like the opportunity to meet with you and thank you in person for your feedback and custom.

Timothy Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Polish first
Malahide, Ireland
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We booked this last minute and got an amazing deal. This hotel is a must with small kids. The deal consisted of breakfast, overnight family room with ample space, an amazing breakfast and then to top it all off, there was a secure supervised kids club from 7 pm to 10 pm that night. An amazing bonus for tired parents with four year old twins. The hotel is spotless and the staff were so friendly especially the lovely girl that checked us in who was only getting trained that day. She was amazing. The pool is a must for energetic kids and my husband loved the fact that there was a hydro therapy section. I can't fault this hotel in any way, we will certainly be making the trip again.

Room Tip: Family room is so spacious, you don't need interconnecting!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was really happy to see that you and your family were impressed by everything that was on offer for families in the hotel. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is actually a family run business. We host many activities for both young and old and our Kids Camp gives the adults some time to relax and unwind. As a father of three myself, I understand how important that is.

We feel very privileged to have been so busy to date and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will make sure to relay your comments to the rest of the Management team. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as its important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and loyalty to the hotel.

We would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person.

Ireland
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a 1 night stay in this hotel. It was a really enjoyable experience. I stayed in room 608 which is in the new section of the hotel. The room was very spacious with a really comfie bed. Decor was modern and very easy on the eye. Check in was v swift and efficient. I enjoyed a lovely swim in the fabulous leisure centre. It has stunning views of the shannon. Dinner in L'Escale restaurant was top notch. The steak I had was top notch!! Breakfast the next morning in the Octagon restaurant was great with a wide selection of hot and cold foods. Check out was also quick and efficient.
If I had one minor quibble, it would be that the bar area is quite dated.
A thoroughly enjoyable experience and I look forward to returning in the near future!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Eimear99
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was really happy to read that your room was to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed the views from the hotel. We feel very privileged to have this natural waterside location just outside our door and the area itself is a wonderful nature reserve.

Our Executive Head Chef, Mr. Rory Gabriel would like to thank you for your comments regarding your dinner in our L’Escale Restaurant. A lot of hard work and dedication goes into sourcing local suppliers and we are constantly reviewing our methods of selection, preparation and cooking. Your feedback was greatly appreciated.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We wanted to keep this hotel secret, because if too many people know of it, we'll never get a room when we want. We spent a glorious 2 nights there in July, 2013. As disabled seniors, the receptionist ensured we had a suitable room, which turned out to be perfect, with views of the lake and all the activities outside. The attraction for us though, was the hydrotherapy pool/spa, with aquaerobics in the indoor swimming pool; sheer bliss for aching muscles and joints. Breakfasts were good and tasty, and we had our evening meal while out exploring the beautiful Athlone region. The only negative seems to be common for Irish holidays; the evening entertainment doesn't start till our bedtime!

Room Tip: If, like us, you have special needs, book by telephone and discuss these with receptionist, who'...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Judith Elizabet... M
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you have so many happy memories of your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was over the moon to hear that your room was perfect and that you got the opportunity to avail of our hydro-therapy pool and leisure facilities during your stay. Customer care and satisfaction is the key to any successful business and I was happy to see that both your needs were accommodated throughout your stay.

We would be honored to welcome you both back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet with you in person and thank you for your appreciated custom and your kind words.

Tipperary
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We went as a group of 30 on a Golfing Weekend, played Athone Golf Course beside the hotel. This extremely busy huge hotel could cater for the mass numbers without flaw. The hotel rooms, leisure facilities and food were of very high standard. Most friend efficient staff in all areas of the hotel. Well done to the Management & Staff, good to see you thriving and succeeding.

Room Tip: Request rooms in the new section of the Hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind words on Trip Advisor. It was fantastic to hear that you and your golfing group enjoyed your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel and that everything was to the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis.

I was delighted to hear that you found our staff so friendly and efficient and I will make sure to display your kind words in our staff facilities. It’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication, especially in these tough times.

We would be honored to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you do decide to return as I would feel very privileged to meet you and thank you in person and thank you for your lovely review.

Ireland
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our trip to The Hodson Bay Hotel was fabulous from beginning to end. We had a very spacious family room with a gorgeous view of the lake. The hospitality was second to none! Our 2 daughters aged 5 and 3 were more than welcome in the L'Escale Restauarant where the food was gorgeous. The pool area was great for adults and kids alike. We were lucky with the weather and managed to fit in a boat ride into Athlone town. Breakfast each morning was delicious. The only complaint we had was that we had to leave. Goodbye Hodson Bay - we can't wait to go back. Thank you for making our stay so special :)

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake - if you have children and need a fridge in the room this is no problem b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tararoseIreland
Thank you for your lovely words on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to hear that you and your family had such a memorable time here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and we feel very privileged to have had your custom.

I was delighted to see that you got the opportunity to avail of some of our facilities during your stay. We host many indoor & outdoor activities and we are constantly looking at ways to improve to meet all our guest’s needs. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is actually a family run business.

I will endeavor to pass on your kind words regarding our food and our hospitality to the rest of the Management team as its feedback such as yours that boosts staff morale, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

We would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love the opportunity to meet you all in person and thank you for your valued custom.

Dublin
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

On the way back to Dublin from Westport we called in to the Hodson Bay Hotel for a snack in the bar. The hotel has a good atmosphere and it's quite busy which is always a good sign. Our snack of soup and sandwiches was good. Everything freshly prepared and pleasantly served. We are considering staying there soon for a few days.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your recent dining experience at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

We feel very privileged to be so busy, especially in these tough and economic times and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the rest of the Management team as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition of their hard work and dedication.

We would be honored to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet with you in person and thank you for your custom and your valued feedback.