“Poor adults”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My title explains the way I felt when I returned from the hodson. There is nothing for adults to do in the evening time in this hotel. On my checkout I said this to a member of staff and she cut right across what I was saying to tell me we have bingo and wine tasting at 5 in the evening some days. Now this really showed the girls misunderstanding of my critique as with a young family with 3 kids how can you enjoy bingo at 5 when the kids clubs does not start till 6. The bar area is also very very warm , but it would be a lot more tolerable if the management had things like quiz night , decent musicians who did not play just country music . The hotel was packed so it really needed a lot better entertainment for adults at night. But having said this the hotel is a great spot for young kids and I enjoyed the food in the restaurant and the wine tasting was very informative .

Room Tip: Make sure your room is nowhere near the ballrooms for wedding nights
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us here at The Hodson Bay Hotel, I greatly respect your criticisms with regards our evening entertainment.

We are constantly looking at ways to improve to meet all our guest’s needs and your feedback is greatly appreciated, valued and respected. I will endeavor to raise these suggestions at our next management meeting. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and I was happy to see that you and your children got the opportunity to avail of some of our in house facilities during your stay.

We would love to see you and your family return to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA as I would love the opportunity to meet with you and thank you in person for your valued feedback and custom.

Timothy Hayes

Write a ReviewReviews (2,228)

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Was looking forward to going away with my whole family for my Dad's 70th. Was so disappointed with the whole few days. Good things, the pool area was great i have to say. All the kids loved it. But that's it I'm afraid. The service, food & room was not of a 4 star standard. We arrived the & the 8 adults ordered sandwiches which took over 40min to arrive, well i say arrive 6 did but they forgot about mine & my wife's. That then took an extra 15/20mins & they weren't worth waiting for. We went for dinner the first night for my Dad's birthday & the food was very average, waiter service was very poor. Our room was very standard, i had my 18mth old Daughter with me & the room was very small with no A/C or Cot, even though at reception they asked had we our infant with us as i held her in my arms. the 2nd day/night was pretty much the same, sandwiches late & wrong order at lunch time as for the carvery for dinner, it was terrible. I wouldn't go back to the Hudson, pity as its location is perfect.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has A/C
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused and I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis. If we treated all our guests like this we would not have the privilege to be so busy. It was also unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room or offered you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.

We would not be happy to allow our guests to leave the hotel with a negative impression. We would be delighted if you would return to the hotel in the near future and afford us the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. If you do wish to return, please make sure to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your stay is a more enjoyable one.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We booked at the Sheraton and then for a variety of reasons were moved here. We were actually pleased as we wanted some relaxation and rest. We had originally tried to book here but it was sold out so were pleased try squeezed us in. The place is decorated nicely and is very cozy and homey even though it is a large place. The rooms are enormous with a walk in closet. The bathroom is average size and fittings with separate shower and bath. The room was a little oddly laid out and the TV quite small for the room but no big deal for us. note the rooms were quite warm and no air con. We liked the pool and steam room although the pool was small. It was a cool rainy time so we didn't really avail ourselves of any water activities and it wasn't clear to is the activities outside of golf. Really the biggest complaint is the food. We ate at the bar and it was terrible! Given we were with small kids we didn't want to go off property for dinner that night. That said, breakfast was good and nice large selection. Very very crowded and checkout line took a long time.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your food in our bar area. I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis however there was an obvious lapse in standards on this occasion. I have spoken to our Executive Head Chef, Mr. Rory Gabriel and he too would like to send his sincere apologies for any anxiety caused. Feedback such as yours is greatly respected and appreciated.

On a positive note, I was delighted to see that you enjoyed everything else throughout your stay and that you got the opportunity to avail of some of our in-house facilities. We host many indoor and outdoor activities and these are constantly under review to meet all our guest’s needs.

We would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person and perhaps offer you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I just had to write about the Hodson Bay Hotel. I was there with a group of 3 other ladies on the August bank holiday weekend and we had the most amazing time there. Check service and staff very efficient, breakfast again amazing with wonderful waiting staff and the evening meal in the restaurant was Michellin Star quality with again fantastic staff.

The setting is hard to beat and nothing is too much trouble for the wonderful Hodson Bay Staff. We even got a complimentary voucher to go on the viking ship which took us into Athlone town centre.

We were there for one overnight stay for their fantastic xmas party nights and are going again this year but for 2 nights as we loved it that much.

Thanks Ruth and staff

Lisa

Room Tip: The Retreat is well worth the extra €10
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for your lovely words on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to hear that you and your group had such a memorable time here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and we feel very privileged to have had your custom.

It was lovely to read that you found our staff so professional and courteous. We feel very privileged to have such diligent and hardworking staff as part of the team. I will most definitely pass on your kind words as its comments such as yours that motivates and encourages team performance and enthusiasm, especially in these tough, economic and testing times. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the scenery around the hotel and we feel very privileged to be located in this wonderful nature reserve. During peak seasons and at designated times, the ‘Viking Ship’ departs our Harbour and sails to the Castle right in the heart of Athlone town. This is another enjoyable way to appreciate and take in the scenery on your way into town.

We would be honored if you and your group chose the hotel for your next trip. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me on your return as I would love to meet you all in person and thank you for your valued custom.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have stated here a few times now and each time I am overwhelmed with a hotel that makes you feel very special,the hotel was booked out so was very full yet the staff find time to make everyone happy,we went as a couple yet took time just to watch the staff look after the children,playing football,and a host of games We had wine tasting in the afternoon and a cruise on the lake all for free.The spa and pool are very good.
If you want hotel right in the center of Ireland in easy reach of every thing you just cannot go wrong you must give it a try.

Room Tip: a room with a lake view is best
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you and your partner have such high recommendations of your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

We feel very privileged to have been so busy and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will make sure to relay your comments to the rest of the Management team. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as its important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and loyalty to the hotel.

It was also fantastic to hear that you and your partner got the opportunity to avail of the facilities on offer here at the hotel. We are constantly looking at ways to improve and meet our guests’ needs and our activities are always under review.

We would love to see you both return to the hotel in the near future. Please feel free to contact me as I would love the opportunity to meet you both in person and thank you sincerely for your custom.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Have to share with last review....stayed for three nights in august ..Hotel appeared not to be able to cater for the amount of people staying.Breakfast was really good if you got to the main area ,the overfill area was a complete disaster,very few staff ..basic things like cereal not being refilled ,breakfast area very messy,no crockery removed from tables ,huge delays in getting teas and coffees to the point your breakfast was finished by the time they arrived !!!
The resturant again had detiorated since my last visit .Food very cold and again for a 4 star no way near.....mashed buttery potatoes and buttered carrotts and veg every night !!!!!! was certainly not what you would expect especially for the price...Was reluctant to eat there except it was part of the package.....
Found the staff very warm and welcoming...looks like the hotel has switched focus from quality to quantity which is such a pity as this was a great spot to visit in a superb location...There are plenty of budget hotels around Ireland and I would hate to see this hotel go in this direction ..if they do then please review star rating as currently it would only just about make a 3 and that is because of the pool and spa .... and the keys do need sorting ..

Room Tip: Ensure your room is as far away as possible from A/C...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

: Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. I was extremely disappointed to read of the shortcomings you received during your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

Customer care and satisfaction is of utmost importance and I was very disappointed to hear of your experience. I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis and if it was we would not have the privilege to welcome back so many repeat and regular guests.

I have spoken to our Restaurant Manager, Mr. Michael Dolan and our Executive Head Chef, Mr. Rory Gabriel and they too would like to send their sincere apologies for any anxiety caused. They have assured me that they will speak to their teams and organise training and evaluation immediately. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and respected.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel and afford us the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. If you do wish to return, I would ask that you contact myself or my PA so we can make the necessary arrangements for you and to ensure your stay is a more enjoyable one.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights during August. The hotel was VERY busy, which is a good sign, but unfortunately the hotel was not able to cater for the amount of people staying there. The hotel has a fantastic location and has the potential to be a great family hotel. Our stay was ok but could have been great. This is an average 3 star hotel, not 4 star.

The two things that let our stay down were the rooms and the food, these can be improved / changes straight away to make this hotel great.

The rooms are poor, our room was an old fashioned motel room, not 4 star. There was no air con or safe, both which are standard to 4 star properties. The bathroom was grubby and dated, the tiles were in need of attention.
Key cards, every time we went to our room the key card failed to work - so frustrating!!!! Especially when the queues at reception are 5 minutes plus to get a new card, and then the new card doesn't work either - scream out loud. House keeping staff were few and far between, never one around when you are locked out of your rooms for the 3rd time that day.
The smell of carvery in the reception area was over powering as it ran from lunch until 9pm. The only food available in the bar was carvery, which the one time I got it was drowned in gravy. Reminded me of hospital food, it just wasn't nice.
The restaurant food was not great either, it was over priced and not very good quality. Meat wasn't cooked as we had ordered, the carvery veg and mashed potatoes made an appearance too! It would have been lovely to have the option of garlic potatoes, stir fried veg, something different from the carvery. I can't see why you would pay a lot more money for the restaurant when it's practically the same food.

If the rooms and food was improved I would go back. The staff are good and very friendly. The pool area is great and very modern. I unfortunately didn't get to the Spa but other guests said it was great. Improvements made this could be a good family hotel, and a great reason to holiday in Ireland.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the lake, big window at the end of the corridor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to hear that your room was not to your satisfaction and it was very unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room or offered you some form of recompense for any anxiety caused.

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused and I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis, however there was an obvious lapse in standards on this occasion.

I have spoken to our Executive Head Chef, Mr. Rory Gabriel and he too would like to send his sincere apologies. Your feedback was greatly appreciated and respected and Rory assures me that he will relay your feedback to the team and schedule training immediately.

On a positive note, I was delighted to hear that you found our staff friendly and our facilities to be of a high standard. We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and afford us to make amends. If you do decide to return, please contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you to ensure your stay is a more enjoyable one.