“Super :)!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
dublin
“Super :)!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely place, friendly staff. Very clean rooms. The leisure resosort was great, I spent good time in gym, swimming pool and SPA. I had wonderful, restfull time, I'll come back to this hotel, I'm sure!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you had a well rested and wonderful stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was also great to see you got the chance to avail of many of the amenities on offer here at the hotel. I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the rest of the team as its comments such as yours that encourages and motivates staff performance and enthusiasm.

We would be delighted if you would return to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please make sure to contact me as I would like to thank you personally for your kind words.

Timothy Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have just returned from a weekend in the Hodson Bay hotel with my wife.. It was simply wonderful. From check in to check out we were treated with the utmost respect and pleasentness by the staff.. The beds are uber comfortable and we found it very hard to to leave them. Breakfast is served until 11 at weekends which is great for those who have a few in the comfortable bar the night before (as we did).. The hotel offers complimentary hostings such as whiskey tasting and wine and cheese tastings. We did the wine and cheese tasting with Andreas who was great fun and very helpful. His knowledge of wines was immpressive and he guided us to a nice wine which we enjoyed with our meal in the restaraunt. The food is really good in the Hodson Bay. The breakfast was really tasty and plentiful and the dinner we enjoyed was nothing short of amazing. I had a lamb shank which fell off the bone and the baked cheescake had me salivating for more.. We were planning our return trip on the way home in the car... I would highly reccomend the Hodson Bay for a relaxing break....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was fantastic to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your weekend break here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was great to see that you got the opportunity to avail of many of the facilities on offer here at the hotel. We are very privileged to have an award winning sommelier on our team and I will pass on your kind words to Andrezj. I have relayed your positive comments to our Executive Head Chef, Mr. Rory Gabriel and he too would like to send you his sincere thanks for your constructive feedback. Any suggestions or feedback from guests is greatly appreciated so we can continue to strive for excellence.

We would love to see you return to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would really like to meet you both in person and thank you for your feedback and valued custom.

County Donegal, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My second visit to this hotel & like my first visit there, it was a pleasant experience. Parking, no problem as there were plenty of free spaces facing the lake. Check in was quick, informative, very friendly & very welcoming. The walk to the lift to the guest floors from reception is probably the furthest I’ve experienced in a hotel but not a problem. My room on the third floor was very big, bright, clean & comfortable with a nice view of Lough Ree. With loads of room it had a fully carpeted floor, nice room temperature & a very large window giving plenty of natural light. All positives with a great double bed & very good pillows & bed linen, very big full length mirror, folding luggage rack, wall mounted flat screen tv with plenty of channels, iron/ironing board, safe, small table & chairs, 2 wardrobes, tea, coffee, biscuits, hairdryer, wall mirror, workstation, drawer unit, tall freestanding lamp, bedside lamps, smoke alarm & an easily controlled air con unit. Internet was wired & surprisingly quick with free wifi available in the hotel’s public areas. Sleep quality was excellent thanks to the quality of the bed & bedding, the room temperature & the complete lack of noise from inside or outside of the hotel.
The bathroom was big, bright & very clean with fully tiled walls & floor & had a bath, big corner shower enclosure with fixed head shower with good pressure & plenty of hot water, dual flush toilet, plenty of towels, large mirror, dual voltage shaving socket, cream wash in a dispenser & small bottles of shampoo, body wash & body lotion.
I had dinner in the Waterfront Bar which was comfortable with nice decor & which I personally felt, was pleasant on the eye. It was busy but still retained a pleasant laid back atmosphere. The food was good & there were plenty of attentive & friendly staff on duty. For a starter I ordered the creamy seafood chowder, not what I would describe as creamy but the taste was something else, superb. For my main course I ordered the 8 oz homemade Irish beefburger which came with a generous portion of chips, onion rings & a nice side salad. Again, very tasty & there was no room left for dessert after it.
Breakfast, served in the Octagon Restaurant from 07.30 am to 10.30 am (11.00 am on sat/sun) was good. I went in around 7.45 & it was virtually empty, no noise, no queues & no problems getting a table & time to sit back & admire the marvellous sunset over the lake. Self service, the selection was good with full fry, cereals, porridge, waffles, pancakes, toast, yoghurt, cold meats, cheeses, pastries, croissants, jams, fruit salad, fresh melon pieces, fresh whole fruits, tinned grapefruit, apricot, pear & mandarin slices & prunes, orange juice, coffee & a selection of flavoured teas. There was also a small coeliac selection.
I had a good carvery lunch in the Waterfront which was quite busy but the queue moved quickly. I can’t comment on how difficult it was to get a table as our group had reserved seating. There was a decent choice available with meat & fish meals, salads, soup, sandwiches, wraps etc.
Checking out was as quick & smooth as checking in had been with the receptionist, Breda, being particularly friendly.
Complimentary daily & evening national newspapers were available from reception & the Octagon Restaurant. I was given two room key cards even though I was the only occupant of my room.
A very good hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank Gaildorfblues
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your positive and extensive review on Trip Advisor. It was endearing to hear that your stay overall was of such a high standard. This is what we aim to achieve here on a consistent basis at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I will most definitely display your kind words in our team’s facilities as its feedback such as yours that motivates and encourages team performance and enthusiasm, especially in these tough times. Our Executive Head Chef, Mr Rory Gabriel was over the moon to read all your positive feedback regarding the food throughout the hotel. A lot of hard work and dedication goes into constantly updating our menus and sourcing local suppliers and its great to get recognition of this.

We would feel extremely privileged to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please feel free to contact me as I would be really honored to meet with you in person and thank you for your valued custom and feedback.

Dublin,Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Hodson Bay Hotel was the ideal venue for our reunion. Ruth and Mary went out of their way
to make sure everything was perfect. Beautiful rooms , meals to make your mouth water and the
staff were so helpful.
If I live another fifty years I'm definitely having the reunion at the Hodson Bay.
Best Regards,
Ray and Pat McEneaney. Dublin.

Room Tip: Room 524 has a beautiful view of the lake and its a smoking room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your delightful review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you and your group enjoyed your class reunion here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I have passed on your kind words to Mary and Ruth and they would like to thank you for your feedback and added that you were all a pleasure to deal with.

We would be honored to see you back at the hotel in the future. We feel very privileged to have shared in this happy occasion with you and we hope you have many fond memories for many years to come.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night break during midterm . We have 4 children (7,6,4 & 1 mth). Rooms were perfect , would highly recommend 2 interconnecting rooms. Breakfast was excellent, staff very helpful. Kids club was very well run & food was healthy. It was great to have a meal in restaurant knowing boys were happy. Looking forward to returning in August for a break .
D. Lyons

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words on Trip Advisor. It was fantastic to hear that you and your family enjoyed the mid term break here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I’m delighted that your children got the opportunity to avail of our Kids Camp and that you have time to relax as a couple and have a meal in the knowledge that your children were being entertained and in safe hands. We take great pride on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is a family run business. I will pass on your feedback regarding our healthy Kids Club menu to our Executive Head Chef, Mr Rory Gabriel. A lot of hard work and dedication goes into constantly updating our menus and sourcing local suppliers and your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

We are really looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in August. Please make sure to contact me on your return as I would love to get the opportunity to meet with you and your family in person and thank you for your valued custom and your lovely review.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked this hotal as my sister stayed there last year and loved it so as were are twins i booked this hotel as a treat for us. On arrival there was very little car parking but we found a space and walked to entrance. We were told we got an upgraded room, happy days i thought. we got to our rooms past the group of children who were blocking the corrider. Our room was nothing special, basic really.

The biggest disapoinment was not getting any spa treatments while there. I tried to book one on Thursday but i was told there was none left. I book the hairdresses the girls who works there is lovely.

We ate on Friday night in the restaurant the food was lovely and then headed to the bar for a few drinks. John Shannon was the enterainment and he was very good. WE chated to a few people and talk about are hotel experience, to my suprise they could get Spa treatment s either and one of the had tried on Tuesday. That was five people who couldnt get Spa treatment.

The pillows are terrible my advice bring your own. i went to pennys and bought two. Saturday morning at 9.10am know on my door. Cleaning people to clean my room as nice as it was to see people working it was too early i wasnt even dressed at that stage.

My sister felt the hotel had gone downhill since she had last stayed there, pitty really as some of the staff are really nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate there were some positive aspects to your stay, I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here at The Hodson bay Hotel.

It is unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps we could have moved you to a more suitable room. A lot of time and effort goes into sourcing our mattresses and our pillows as we appreciate the majority of time that is spent in bed. We also understand that our guests have different comfort factors. If you had the opportunity to speak to our Accommodation Manager, he could have sourced a more suitable pillow for you.

I would like to apologise for your disappointment in not getting a Spa treatment during your visit. Our Spa is terribly popular and many of our guests book well in advance as it does get booked out quite quickly. If you wish to avail of a Spa treatment in the future, please feel free to contact me and I will endeavor to arrange an appointment personally for you.

We would love to see you return to the hotel in the near future and afford us the opportunity to make amends. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your stay is a more enjoyable one.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Excellent hotel and friendly helpful staff. Restaurant was just about closing when we arrived but staff put together a really excellent meal.

All facilities were excellent though did not have time to try out the Spa but that looked great too.

Room Tip: Loch view rooms are worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chewebacca
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was really good to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Hodson Bay Hotel.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the Restaurant and Kitchen team. This is the level of customer service we aim to achieve here on a consistent basis and your positive comments will encourage and motivate staff morale.

It would be lovely to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you in person.