“excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

and 1 more site!
Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
“excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

just spent 1 night there while attending a private function and i really enjoyed the hotel. the staff are all efficient and friendly and smiling. food was very nice and room (202) was very comfortible and had a great view of the lake. breakfast was very good and plentifull. I didnt get a chance to use the leisure facilities but hopefully next time.

It was my first time satying there and would highly recommend staying there again.

Room Tip: room to the front facing lake are excellent
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was really good to hear that you enjoyed your short stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you found our staff to be efficient, friendly and smiling. I will make sure to display your kind words in our teams facilities as its comments such as yours that motivates and boosts staff morale. As well as our Spa and Leisure facilities, we host a wide range of in-house activities. If you wish to find out more information please do not hesitate to contact our Reservations team and they would be more than happy to discuss with you.

We would be honored to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to make contact with me as I would love to welcome you back in person and thank you for your kind review.

Timothy Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Birr, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel has an excellent location on the shores of lough Ree in the heart of Ireland and definately worth a visit. The staff are very friendly, professional and just can't do enough for you. From the moment you arrive at the Hotel until your departure you will enjoy every minute. The rooms are lovely with very comfortable beds. An upgrade is well woth the money if you fancy having a lakeview from your bedroom but otherwise the lake can be viewed from lots of other places in the hotel including from the superb spa relaxing area....make sure you treat yourself to a treatment and don't miss a dip in the pool where you can enjoy a variety of water jets. The food is yum and the carvery in the bar is ideal for a quick bite but make sure you don't miss dining in the reataurant when the whole experience is delightful. The bar is a lively place to spend your Saturday night with a band playing there is always a party atmosphere. This Hotel is the ideal venue for whatever your occasion, just last year alone I attended my niece's wedding, my uncle's 90th, my aunt's golden juiblee and we had our annual night out for our drama group just last week(for the second consecutive year). Even though the hotel is an easy half hour drive from my home I have taken the opportunity to stay overnight on all of these occasions because I just love the whole experience, especially the late breakfast, until 11am on weekend! No matter what you are planning whether it's an intimate romantic break or a family reunion the staff at the hodson bay will make it the perfect occasion. Enjoy...I know I'm already looking forward to my next break there.

Room Tip: Let the hotel know what you require and they will do their best to accomodate you. Upgrades are well...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you have many happy memories of your visits here to The Hodson Bay Hotel and we feel very privileged to have shared in these special occasions with you and your family.

We cater for all types of guests here at the hotel and take great pride on being very family orientated. I was over the moon to hear your feedback regarding our facilities and I can assure you that I will pass your kind words on to the rest of the team. Its comments such as yours that motivates and encourages team performance and enthusiasm, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

We are really looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Please make sure to contact me on your return as I would be honored to meet with you in person and thank you sincerely for your valued custom and review.

Limerick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Friendly and efficient hotel. Stayed here in adjoining rooms, all 6 of us. We loved the leisure facilities (so relaxing). We availed of the free aqua aerobics on Saturday morning and it was great fun. I stayed here before and will never forget the view of the lake so this time didn't mind not having a view of it as we faced the Reception area. Excellent value, morning and evening meals were lovely and the staff were more than helpful.

Room Tip: If it makes a difference to you...the lake view is the best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fourinfamilyLimerick
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was great to see that you and your group got the opportunity to avail of some of our in-house facilities during your stay and I will pass on your compliments to our Leisure Centre team. It was also heartening to hear that you found our food and staff lived up to our high expectations and I will pass on your encouraging words to the rest of the management team.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your repeat business and valued custom. Hopefully we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. If you do return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet with you in person

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with our 17 month old. Had a lovely stay. When we first got there we were a bit disapointed with the room, but I mentioned it to them at Reception and they quickly changed us to a bigger room with a lake view. The staff are really helpful and accomodating. The breakfast is delicious, loads of varity and meals in the bar and main restaurant are also lovely. The bar food is great value for money and really tastey. The pool is lovely and really family friendly, as is the whole hotel. The only drawback is, that there isn't that much to do in Athlone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for you lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was heartening to read that you found your stay represented good value for money and that this did not reflect on the quality you received. We do understand how tough the economic climate is at present and we try our best to reflect this in our prices. I have passed on your kind words regarding the food throughout the hotel to our Executive Head Chef, Mr. Rory Gabriel and he too would like to thank you for your positive feedback.

We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is a family run business. We run an extensive kids camp and host a wide range of facilities both in-house and outdoor. We also have information at Reception regarding the many other family activities available in the Athlone and surrounding areas.

We would love to see you and your family back at the hotel in the near future. If you do return, please feel free to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person and thank you for your very kind words.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stopped off at The Hudson Bay on route to the West for a spot of Christmas lunch and it was just divine !!!The hotel has the most charming atmosphere and with the most beautiful scenery also.What I like most about this hotel is the staff -they are so friendly and nothing is any bother.Everybody asks " Can I help ?" and its done with a smile.While we were dining,I noticed the Duty Manager was chatting to different guests/patrons in the lounge ,which is a lovely touch.The portions they give for lunch are very generous and the food quality is excellent .If you want a spot to unwind and relax,then this is the place for a quick bite or drink.....Can't wait to return and stay over...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your Christmas lunch here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

We feel very privileged to have had such a successful Christmas and we really appreciate your positive feedback. I will pass on your kind words to the team as its positive comments such as yours that motivates and encourages team performance and enthusiasm, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

We would feel extremely honored to have your repeat business. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements or alternatively you can contact our Reservations Manager and she would be more than happy to speak with you.

Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

We were treated to a midweek stay here including dinner and spa treatments! Amazing location, the views are fabulous. Stayed in a suite, top floor, side of hotel overlooking golf course and lake. Nice room, super bathroom! Jacuzzi bath, nice big shower and most important, extremely clean! The bed was very comfy which is a big plus! Tv in an odd position if u like tv in bed.
Really great pool and hydro therapy area. Spent ages in there!
Food for dinner was ok. We ate it as we were hungry, but I'm not so sure I'd return for the food .The breakfast was dry and bog standard.
Would definitely not return for that! I enjoyed our break in this hotel and found the atmosphere relaxed and friendly, the ladies working in the spa are brilliant! Really loved my massage and would love to be pampered there again!
One final let down was the grouchy receptionist who checked me out. I'll not name n shame. A smile costs nothing! the receptionist who checked us in was very nice, very warm and friendly.
I would stay here again and really enjoyed all the good things this well cared for hotel has to offer!

• Stayed January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was fantastic to see that you got the opportunity to avail of many of the facilities on offer here at the hotel and I will pass on your kind words to the relevant teams.

I would like to thank you for bringing to my attention your concerns regarding check out and I can assure you that I will investigate this matter further.

On a positive note, I’m delighted that did this did not reflect badly on your overall experience. We would feel very privileged to welcome you back to the hotel. If you do decide to re-visit, please contact me on your return as I would love to meet you in person.

Swords, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel before for both pleasure and buisness and have found it lovely i recently booked a one night stay with my wife for a break just after christmas and we received an upgrade to the retreat side of the hotel great we stayed here before but this time the room was fantastic great view of the lake and a very large and spacious room ath bathroom could not ask for more
We had our meal in the restaraunt and once again it was fantastic the food and the service could not have been better
I have written a review for this hotel before and i really cannot recommend this hotel enough we enjoyed our stay so much we have booked a 2 night stay in febuary
If you book a stay here avail of the free activities like wine and cheese tasting also the whiskey tasting the knowledge of the guy doing the tasting is amazing

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your post Christmas break here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was wonderful to see that you got the opportunity to avail of many of the facilities on offer here at the hotel and I will pass on your kind and encouraging words to Andrzej our award winning Sommelier and the rest of the Management team.

We feel very privileged to have your custom, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in February. Please do not hesitate to contact me on your return as I would be honored to meet with you in person and thank you for your heartwarming reviews and valued custom.