“Beautiful Food in a beautiful Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Shannon, Ireland
“Beautiful Food in a beautiful Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had Carvery Lunch - today 1st. December 2012. There were four adults and one child and we had a lovely, lovely lunch. Three of our party had Chicken Kiev and I had Sliced Crown of Turkey. All plates were wonderfully presented and served by a most friendly and efficient Lady Chef. When I asked " if we could have a baby-chair, please?" a very enthusiastic young Lady with a lovely smile, told me to take my seat and that she would be delighted to get me one - oh for good old fashioned Hospitality. Sadly, our visit was only for an hour or too but we were delighted with our visit. Incidentally, the Hotel appeared to be packed - thus showing its popularity and standards. Hudson Bay Hotel, we will be back and THANK YOU!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Aidan W
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was really pleased to hear that you and your party enjoyed your recent Carvery lunch at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I will pass on your positive comments to our Executive Head Chef, Mr. Rory Gabriel. A lot of hard work goes into constantly looking at ways to improve our menu. We only use local suppliers and are continually reviewing our methods of selection, preparation and cooking. We really appreciate your feedback at its only through comments such as your own that we can continue to strive for excellence.

I was also delighted to see that our staff were of the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis and I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the Carvery Team.

Hopefully we get the opportunity in the near future to welcome you back to the hotel and you get the chance to experience the full range facilities on offer here at the hotel. If you have any queries regarding special offers or activities on offer, please do not hesitate to contact our Reservations Manager or myself and we would be delighted to discuss with you in greater detail.

Timothy Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We booked a weekend stay in Hodson Bay for my dad's 80th birthday. We booked 4 rooms; a dinner for 8 and a lunch for 22 people. While the staff are very friendly and helpful and the food was great the rooms really let down the whole experience. We travel a lot and are fortunate to stay in fabulous hotels and locations. The Hodson Bay is certainly a great location but their rooms need attention. Very minimal toiletries and cheap, thin towels in the bathroom gives the impression of being in less than a 4 star hotel.

1 Thank gerifc
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you found our staff and food to be of the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis.

I was disappointed to read that your room was not to your liking and it was unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure. At this moment in time we are doing a full audit of all our bedrooms with the idea of refurbishing approx 90 of our bedrooms within the next 3 to 6 months.

We would not like our guests to leave the hotel with a negative impression. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and afford us the opportunity to make amends. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA so we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your room is a more appropriate one.

Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

A group of 6 (3 couples) of us stayed in the Hodson Bay Hotel recently (One couple for 3 nights and 2 couples for 2 nights). We got a reasonably priced deal on the hotel website which included breakfast and one evening meal. The hotel is located in a beautiful setting with amazing views of the lake. Due to the time of year we stayed (Winter), the weather wasn’t great – but I can only imagine how beautiful it would be in the Summer – apparently there are boat trips on the lake in-season which would be really spectacular. The rooms were absolutely stunning – large, spacious and they felt really luxurious. The bathroom was also top class- spotlessly clean with both a bath and a walk in shower. We visited the swimming pool on one occasion and it was lovely – we went in the evening, so it wasn’t busy! We made use of the hydrotherapy pool which was really nice and relaxing and the changing areas were very clean and well looked after. We went to the hotel restaurant on the two nights (set menu). Overall we found the food to be tasty–fine dining at its best. The service was a bit slow on the first evening but they were very busy so I can understand the delay. One small thing – three of us ordered the Mozzarella cheese (coated in breadcrumbs) with side salad and relish on the first night – the side salad and relish were very tasty but all three of us found that the mozzarella cheese was cooked (i.e. soft and warm) on the outside but stone cold in the middle – which was really disappointing. We mentioned to the waitress when we were finished and she apologised etc. However, the next evening, 2 of us decided to get it again (thinking it would be cooked right this time) but again it was the same story – really disappointing as I would give the dish 10/10 if cooked properly! Breakfast was very appetising with lots of selection and the breakfast room was well staffed so there was no waiting around. Staff on a whole were very helpful and mannerly and you could tell they were well trained. Overall we had a great stay and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit to Athlone!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you enjoyed you stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and that you would highly recommend us to anyone planning to visit Athlone.

I was delighted to see you got the opportunity to avail of some of the facilities on offer here at the hotel. We feel very blessed to have this natural waterside location just outside our door. I have spoken to our Executive Head Chef, Mr. Rory Gabriel regarding our mozzarella dish and he would like to apologise profusely and thank you for your feedback. It’s only through feedback such as your own that we can continue to strive for excellence.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you ever decide to return, please feel free to contact me as I would be thrilled to meet you in person and thank you for your constructive feedback.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here recently, we were in a suite was fab, only down side was that der was a horrific smell from d bathroom throughout our stay. We didn't mention it as we wer not in d room that much. Had room service, it was ok.Great value for money.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. It was really good to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I appreciate your feedback in relation to the bathroom and this is something we got our maintenance team to look at immediately and fortunately it doesn’t appear to be a reoccurring issue.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you in person and thank you for your feedback.

Yours sincerely
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed in the Hudson Bay hotel for one night, on arrival I was being charged for a trible room, after getting a quote for one person. It appeared everyone had a different price for the same room at reception - ripoff rates. Finally after a battle I was eventually charged the correct rate. The room was terrible, with a small double bed and a tiny single bed. I have no idea how 3 adults would have slept there in the fist place. A week after staying, I was debited double the price that was debited on the day of arrival. Very disorganised. I've no idea what all the fuss is about this place. Ireland had moved on from Celtic Tiger, the Hudson bay needs to move on too.

Room Tip: not worth the trip out the road from Athlone, stay in the town.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank hengroup
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I’m sure there were some positive aspects to your stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel, you have however highlighted some areas for concern.

I would like to apologise profusely for the number of factors that went amiss and I can assure you this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis. I have spoken to our Reservations Manager and our Front Office Manager and training has been scheduled with their teams to prevent this happening again. They too would like to send their apologies for any anxiety caused. At this moment in time we are doing a full audit of all our bedrooms with the idea of refurbishing approx 90 of our bedroom within the next 3 to 6 months.

We would not be happy to allow our guests to depart the hotel with a negative impression. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel and afford us the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. If you do decide to return please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA so we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your stay is a more enjoyable one.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've stayed at the Hodson Bay hotel before, a few times, always as part of some work-related event. Previous experiences have been that its been OK, a nice, pretty location, and an OK facility. On this trip, however, I was housed in one of the new rooms as opposed to the old ones, and the new rooms, in the new wing, all with room numbers in the 600's. are far nicer than the old ones, and this has changed my view of the hotel. The new wing is at the leisure centre end of the premises, the rooms are large and spacious, more like North American style in terms of size, very well finished, problem-free WiFi throughout the building, great views over the lake, and a very positive experience. The location is a bit isolated so you'll need a car. the breakfast was fine, the organised dinner was great, the bar was a bit of craic, and overall I went away feeling happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part, in the 600's
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Alan S
Thank you for your heart warming review on Trip Advisor. It made me really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

You are correct in saying our Retreat Section is the newer part of the hotel and I’m delighted you found this more suitable to your needs. This part of the hotel is classed as our quiet zone, as is our Winter Garden and Library Area. We feel very privileged to have a natural waterside location just outside our door and the area itself is a nature reserve. If you want to pop into the historic town of Athlone you can do so via the ‘Viking Boat’ which takes you from the harbour of Lough Ree to the Castle right in the heart of the town.

Once again, thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted everything during your stay was of the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis. If you ever decide to return, either for business or pleasure, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to get the opportunity to meet with you in person.

Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 10th.to 12th.Nov 2012.
The occassion my sons wedding,wow from the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome.The reception were very efficient and checked everyone in a very short time.
ON to food service it was of a high standard and optimal quality. Waiting staff did not impose on guests until all food was consumed.At this point I would like to mention Paval who made everything happen from our arrival to arranging the table for family dinner the following night.
Then there was our room,large panaramic window,spacious bathroom and large comfortable bed.All in all a fab experience and we will return for a longer stay

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your very kind words on Trip Advisor. We feel very privileged to have shared in this special occasion and we hope you have many happy memories for years to come.

I was delighted to read that from arrival to departure you were made feel welcome by our team.
I will pass on your kind words to the relevant departments and to Pawel our Guest Relations Manager for their hard work and dedication. This is the high level of customer service we expect here on a consistent basis and we are lucky to have such a fantastic team on board.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. On behalf of myself and the management team, please pass on my congratulations once more to your son and his new bride and we look forward to welcoming them back next year for their complimentary anniversary stay.