“Lovely”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here recently, we were in a suite was fab, only down side was that der was a horrific smell from d bathroom throughout our stay. We didn't mention it as we wer not in d room that much. Had room service, it was ok.Great value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. It was really good to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I appreciate your feedback in relation to the bathroom and this is something we got our maintenance team to look at immediately and fortunately it doesn’t appear to be a reoccurring issue.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you in person and thank you for your feedback.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed in the Hudson Bay hotel for one night, on arrival I was being charged for a trible room, after getting a quote for one person. It appeared everyone had a different price for the same room at reception - ripoff rates. Finally after a battle I was eventually charged the correct rate. The room was terrible, with a small double bed and a tiny single bed. I have no idea how 3 adults would have slept there in the fist place. A week after staying, I was debited double the price that was debited on the day of arrival. Very disorganised. I've no idea what all the fuss is about this place. Ireland had moved on from Celtic Tiger, the Hudson bay needs to move on too.

Room Tip: not worth the trip out the road from Athlone, stay in the town.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank hengroup

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I’m sure there were some positive aspects to your stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel, you have however highlighted some areas for concern.

I would like to apologise profusely for the number of factors that went amiss and I can assure you this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis. I have spoken to our Reservations Manager and our Front Office Manager and training has been scheduled with their teams to prevent this happening again. They too would like to send their apologies for any anxiety caused. At this moment in time we are doing a full audit of all our bedrooms with the idea of refurbishing approx 90 of our bedroom within the next 3 to 6 months.

We would not be happy to allow our guests to depart the hotel with a negative impression. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel and afford us the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. If you do decide to return please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA so we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your stay is a more enjoyable one.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've stayed at the Hodson Bay hotel before, a few times, always as part of some work-related event. Previous experiences have been that its been OK, a nice, pretty location, and an OK facility. On this trip, however, I was housed in one of the new rooms as opposed to the old ones, and the new rooms, in the new wing, all with room numbers in the 600's. are far nicer than the old ones, and this has changed my view of the hotel. The new wing is at the leisure centre end of the premises, the rooms are large and spacious, more like North American style in terms of size, very well finished, problem-free WiFi throughout the building, great views over the lake, and a very positive experience. The location is a bit isolated so you'll need a car. the breakfast was fine, the organised dinner was great, the bar was a bit of craic, and overall I went away feeling happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part, in the 600's
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Alan S

Thank you for your heart warming review on Trip Advisor. It made me really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

You are correct in saying our Retreat Section is the newer part of the hotel and I’m delighted you found this more suitable to your needs. This part of the hotel is classed as our quiet zone, as is our Winter Garden and Library Area. We feel very privileged to have a natural waterside location just outside our door and the area itself is a nature reserve. If you want to pop into the historic town of Athlone you can do so via the ‘Viking Boat’ which takes you from the harbour of Lough Ree to the Castle right in the heart of the town.

Once again, thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted everything during your stay was of the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis. If you ever decide to return, either for business or pleasure, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to get the opportunity to meet with you in person.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 10th.to 12th.Nov 2012.
The occassion my sons wedding,wow from the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome.The reception were very efficient and checked everyone in a very short time.
ON to food service it was of a high standard and optimal quality. Waiting staff did not impose on guests until all food was consumed.At this point I would like to mention Paval who made everything happen from our arrival to arranging the table for family dinner the following night.
Then there was our room,large panaramic window,spacious bathroom and large comfortable bed.All in all a fab experience and we will return for a longer stay

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for your very kind words on Trip Advisor. We feel very privileged to have shared in this special occasion and we hope you have many happy memories for years to come.

I was delighted to read that from arrival to departure you were made feel welcome by our team.
I will pass on your kind words to the relevant departments and to Pawel our Guest Relations Manager for their hard work and dedication. This is the high level of customer service we expect here on a consistent basis and we are lucky to have such a fantastic team on board.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. On behalf of myself and the management team, please pass on my congratulations once more to your son and his new bride and we look forward to welcoming them back next year for their complimentary anniversary stay.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I brought a group of over 50's to the Hodson Bay Hotel on the 1st weekend in November. The staff, facilities and accommodation were top class. The restaurant and breakfast areas were very well staffed and the food was excellent. Every member of the group enjoyed their stay and are looking forward to a repeat visit next year.

Room Tip: Ask for the 'Retreat' area of the hotel for an excellent view of the Athlone Golf course or...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your heartening review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you and your group enjoyed your weekend break here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was delighted to hear that our staff and facilities were to the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis and that you found the food at the hotel ‘excellent’. I will pass on your kind words to the team and your kind words will be greatly appreciated. I feel it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

Please god we have the opportunity to welcome you all back next year. If you do return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person and thank you for your custom and kind words.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just spent a night here, while on a training course. Really impressed!
The staff was really friendly, with first class, personal service. Nothing was a problem.
Lovely comfy bed, and the bathroom was immaculately clean, a rare thing in our hotels.
Not big into breakfat but this was very appetising - eggs being fried as we watched, so no overdone, dried out food. And a really tasty sausage!
Overall a wonderful experience. Well done Hodson Bay!! Restores my faith in Irish hospitality.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your one night stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was really happy to hear that you found our staff friendly, helpful and attentive. I will display your lovely words in our team’s facilities as its comments such as yours that motivates and encourages team performance and enthusiasm and your kind words will be greatly appreciated. It was also great to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast. We use local suppliers and produce and we get many compliments regarding this. I will pass on your positive feedback to Mr. Rory Gabriel, our Executive Head Chef.

Hopefully we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, either for business or pleasure. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love the opportunity to meet with you and thank you for your heartening review.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed on the €129 b&b and free €30 voucher for the restaurant with another couple.
Overall a very enjoyable stay. The bar is good, the room is adequate and it was good value for money. Reception, bar and breakfast staff were friendly and welcoming.The food in the restaurant is very good but the service was rushed. The waiting staf were almost hovering over te table as we finished the last bite of each course and the next course was on the table within 30 seconds. We ordered a second bottle of wine which we drank very quickly as the staff were only short of setting our table for breakfast while we were sitting there. Don't know if it was beacuse we were residents and not paying cash and therefore less likely to leave a tip but all 4 of us felt the meal was let down by the hurried service. We didn't leave a tip as we felt it was not deserved or earned.
The breakfast was very good and the experience would have been 4 star but for the restaurant staff.
Would definitely stay here again but wouldn't bother with the restaurant.

Room Tip: There are smoking rooms available if required but avoid if you are a non-smoker
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Longfordman

Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel was overall an enjoyable one.

It was disappointing to read of your experience in our Restaurant and I would like to apologise profusely on behalf of the Restaurant Team. I have spoken to the Restaurant Manager, Mr. Michael Dolan and he too would like to send his apologies if you were made feel rushed during your meal. He has scheduled training with his team to prevent re-occurrences of this nature.

On a positive note, I was very pleased to hear that you found the food in the Restaurant to be of the high quality we achieve here on a consistent basis and that the staff in Reception, Bar and Breakfast were friendly and welcoming. I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the team and their manager.

It was heartening to read that you would return to the hotel and that your experience in the Restaurant did not hinder your overall view of the hotel. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet with you in person and perhaps offer you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.