Hodson Bay Hotel
Hotels.com
$103
$79
Great 4.5/5
Athlone Springs Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$73
Very Good 4/5
The Prince of Wales Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$58
Great 4.5/5
Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$58
Travelocity
Creggan Court(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$53
$51
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
The Grand Hotel(Moate)(Great Value!)
$88
Cooneys Hotel(Ballymahon)
$158
Great 4.5/5
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,264 results
All reviewskids clubl'escale restaurantretreat sectionretreat roomwine tastingleisure centreolder partnew wingthermal suitelake viewfamily breakbusy hotelbar foodtop classmain restaurantlovely hotelgolf course
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed overnight at Hodgon Bay Hotel, Athlone as I was attending family funeral. We booked three rooms in total - two doubles and a twin. We also have one year child in the party. Our experience of the hotel was mixed. The setting for the hotel on the lake shore is lovely, the breakfast was superb but the rooms were quite small and the bar carvery food was very average. In addiition, we went to bed at 11 pm when music started-up until 12:30 - very noisy in first floor rooms but those to side / rear were not affected. We were not advised in advance of any potential noise - other hotels we previously advised onf possible noise, which is fine as you can then choose to stay or not.

Hotel was very busy with a mix of weedings, weekend guests and conferences. There was even a conference of 150 nuns -never saw so many in one place before. Overall, experience of this hotel was average particularly for the Eur 130 per room paid. Note, we first tried to book the Sheraton Athlone Hotel, but it was full and they referred us to its partner hotel - Hodgon Bay Hotel.

Room Tip: First floor room at front of hotel was very noisy from music below.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate there were mixed feelings regarding your stay, you have highlighted some areas for concern.

I would like to apologise profusely for any disruption caused to you and your family especially during this sensitive time. I would also like to offer you and your family my condolences for your sad loss. This was an over-sight on our behalf and it’s very unfortunate I was not made aware of this during your stay as perhaps we could have done something more to accommodate you. I can assure you this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis.

If you are ever in the area again, please call to see me as I would like to apologise in person for this regrettable experience and perhaps offer you some form of recompense for any anxiety caused. My thoughts are with you and your family during this sad time.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Lovely location right on the water and a great pool. Fantastic well run kids club who arranged games, food and films from 10-1 and 6-11 meaning parents get a rare chance to have a meal together. the food is very good and the wine tastings were very informative and much enjoyed.

The only small negatives would be that the hotel is very warm and the rooms on the small side for families. We will definitely be back, and this coming from someone who tends not to revisit places.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you and your family enjoyed you stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you and your family got the opportunity to avail of the facilities on offer here at the hotel. We are an award winning family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is a family run business. As a father of three myself, I understand the importance of having some time alone as a couple and our kids camp gives you the opportunity to do exactly this. It was great to see you adults also got the opportunity to avail of some of activities. We host many indoor and outdoor activities and these are constantly under review to cater for all our guests needs.

We are delighted that you are planning to re-visit the hotel. If you do return please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you and your family in person and thank you for your repeat business and your kind words.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

we have just returned from the Hodson Bay hotel stayed from 2nd to 4th of november with a group of 20 friends. Had a great time everything perfect. Unfortunately my husband lost his wedding ring when the Viking Ship reached Athlone, it slipped of his finger and vanished into the Shannon, we are approaching our 50th wedding anniversary so naturally were quite upset, however the captain of the viking and his young helper were great, they told us that a diver would be contacted and the ring would be found, we really didnt expect it to be! however within a very short time of us returning to the hotel sure enough the diver arrived with the ring, we didnt even get his name! it was amazing and we were so grateful, it was a perfect ending to a great weekend and would certainly recommend the Hodson Bay hotel to everyone

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for your heartening review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you and your friends had a great time during your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

We take great pride in our customer care and satisfaction and I was over the moon to hear that your husbands’ wedding ring was found safe and sound. I can only imagine how distressing it was for you both to lose something of such sentimental value. I believe you have already rang and thanked ‘Viking Mike’, as he is known locally and he has relayed to myself that he is humbled by your gratitude.

We would love to welcome to back to the hotel either as a couple or with friends. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you do decide to return as I would love to meet with you face to face and thank you for your lovely review.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We found this hotel really nice and the staff were very friendly. Lovely views across the lake. Nice walks for families. The restaurant food was lovely & a great selection of foods for breakfast. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was also delighted to hear that you found our staff and our food to be of the high standard we achieve here on a consistent basis and I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the team. We feel very privileged to have a natural waterside location just outside our door and the area itself is a nature reserve and I’m delighted you got the opportunity to avail of these fabulous views.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you ever decide to return, please do not hesitate to ring me as I would really like to meet you in person and thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have been to the hodson bay many times since we got engaged there. We even booked it for our wedding. Every time we have stayed it has been great. Each room we have stayed in was lovely and comfortable. The staff are attentive. The spa is amazing, I would definitely recommend treating yourself. The food is gorgeous in both the restraint and carvery. The only fault would be the entertainment at night time, it's lacking.

• Stayed: May 2012

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your many visits to The Hodson Bay Hotel. We feel very privileged to have shared in your happy engagement and we are honored that you have chosen our hotel for your wedding venue I can assure you that you will not be disappointed and we are really looking forward to the big day!.

It was heartening to read that you found our rooms to be lovely, our Spa ‘amazing’, our staff so ‘attentive’ and our food ‘gorgeous’. This is the high standard we aim to achieve here on a consistent basis and I will most certainly display your review in our team’s facilities. It’s feedback such as yours that motivates and encourages team performance and enthusiasm, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel. If you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to help. Once again, thank you for fantastic review.