“I'll be back”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
County Donegal, Ireland
“I'll be back”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Easy to find on the Athlone to Roscommon road with free & plentiful parking in the hotel car parks. Quick & friendly check in with a minimum of formalities.
My room was excellent, very big, very bright, very clean & comfortable & nicely heated. It had a very comfortable double bed, a single bed, 2 wardrobes, wall mounted tv, free wifi, iron & ironing board, table & chairs, dresser/workstation, full length mirror, luggage rack, safe, tea/coffee & biscuits, hairdryer, smoke alarm, air con but no mini bar.
The bathroom too, was very big. It was clean, bright & modern with a bath, large shower enclosure, fixed head shower with great pressure & plenty of hot water, shampoo & bodywash, creme soap & other toiletries, dual voltage shaving socket & plenty of towels.
I had no issues with noise in the room from either inside or outside of the hotel with the sound of the air con being the only thing audible during the night.
Served in the very pleasant L'Escale Restaurant by friendly staff, breakfast was excellent & at 07.45 in the morning the restaurant was exceptionally quiet. There was plenty to choose from with a cold buffet which included salamis, cereals, toast, breads, jams, honey, cheese, crackers, yoghurts, croissants & other pastries, fresh whole fruit, fruit slices, prunes, raisins, fruit juices, tea & coffee. The hot buffet which is ordered from the waitress included a fry, porridge & what I ordered, one of the best omelettes I've ever tasted.
I had lunch in the Waterfront Carvery which was again, a pleasant experience. There was a decent selection on offer, well cooked with generous portions & even though the restaurant was quite busy, service was quick.
I arrived too late to use the leisure centre & too tired to have dinner or to have a drink in the bar, so I can't comment on them.
Signage throughout the hotel was good & there were complimentary national daily & evening newspapers, available at reception & in the breakfast restaurant. The location is probably too far out to walk into Athlone Town but if a tranquil setting, good hotel facilities & great lake views are the order of the day, The Hodson Bay is well worth giving a try.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Gaildorfblues
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
We really appreciate your positive review and are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. If you return to the hotel in the future please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can thank you in person, yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I've just spent a weekend in the Hodson Bay Hotel and had a great time. Unfortunately the weather was awful but thankfully Athlone town has two shopping centres so I was well satisfied filling my afternoon in them while my young son attended a music workshop and my husband watched the match.

The Hotel was very child friendly having a separate games room for them. I gave them a 4 star rating as I felt the room could have been bigger for a family room. The staff were very nice especially in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. The Hotels facilities were brilliant for the kids workshop and to have a session on Friday and Saturday night. Friday nights session was held in the Library and was fantastic.

The hotel was very warm at night maybe because room small with three in it??

A very busy hotel and one I would have no hesitation in returning to. Hopefully the weather will be better and we would be able to take a walk and a trip on the bay????

1 Thank Parkcliff
I would like to thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your positive comments and are delighted both you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully you do return so I get the opportunity to thank you in person. Yours sincerely
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Received a voucher for Christmas and were thrilled to book a night in the Hodson Bay. At check in we noticed straight away how incredibly busy the place was. We had a sandwich in the packed bar, where there were many children running around. Our room was lovely, very comfortable and en suite had a lovely shower. Couldn't fault the room. We were booked into the thermal spa which is beautiful. Very comfortable and classy. Unfortunately our fellow spa visitors were quite loud and perhaps not there to relax which was a shame. We had a gorgeous meal in the restaurant. It was however extremely busy and servers appeared to under a lot of pressure. All in all it was a nice stay but not the place to go for a quiet / relaxing couple stay. And that's fine - its a lovely family orientated hotel, so I'll be sure to bring family next time!

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for your review and we really appreciate your positive comments. We do have quieter areas in the hotel for eg our Wintergarden and Library and we also have a Retreat Section which is an adult only area. Once again, thank you and we look forward to you returning with your family. If so please do not hesitate to contact me. Yours sincerely
ireland
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I received a voucher as a gift to visit the hodson bay hotel. Lovely hotel . Rooms quite spacious . Excellent food in The waterfront bar and great service from enthusiastic staff. The only problem I experienced was in the check in and out. It is too slow bearing in mind it is January and the hotel was quiet. Breakfast was delicious and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate that you took the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We have taken on board your comments and we would be delighted if you would return in the future, yours sincerely
Belfast
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Booked retreat room which was modern and in a quiet area of a busy hotel. Room ok. Second night thermostat in shower broke. Phoned reception and a staff member arrived. Problem was explained and he left saying he would inform management. Nothing happened after half an hour and we started to phone reception. Waited again then one of the management team arrived. Explained problem again and were informed plumber would come and fix it time given 10 minutes. Well after over 30 my husband arrived and waited at reception to explain no one had arrived. Finally another manager arrived and we were told the outside firm would fix the thermostat but we should move room. So eventually after over two hours we moved to a room with warm shower. Problem being I had had a spa treatment with oil in my hair and was cold. So it annoyed me that it took the hotel that long to figure out we had to move to a different room down the hall. They knew the situation and still could not sort the problem. I was trying to give them a chance so after check out we spoke to a manager about our disappointment. We were told that we would be contacted by the general manager. Alas no phone call and really the shower breaking did not ruin the trip but how it was dealt with did.

Room Tip: Not sure I would pay for retreat again it's just modern room in a quiet area of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nikki_ni
I would like to sincerely apologise for your stay here at the hotel. It was unfortunate what appeared to happen during your stay and that I hadn't been informed of the concerns you raised but as the General Manager I would be delighted to speak with you. You can contact me on 09064 42090 or alternatively by email thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com, yours sincerely
The West
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Good stay. Reception very efficient. Asked for a quite room and the receptionist said we were staying over the ballroom. He was joking and the room was very quiet. First night had dinner in the dining room with the kids. Food was very good. Unusually I ordered a steak -rare. It was perfect. Starter was prawns. My wife was very happy with her food also. Kids menu at €13 each was a little bit steep but the waitresses made a big fuss of them. 2nd night we dined from the carvery in the bar - ok - it was late. Breakfasts both mornings were very good. Leisure Centre was excellent and staff in general were friendly. Bar had a large screen TV and the drink was good. Bar staff were ok only - could have been a bit friendlier and they went missing a lot. TV in room was small. Overall though - will return - well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask at reception for a quiet room especially if the hotel is quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and we appreciate that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have taken on board the aspects in the bar area that you feel need improvement and we would be delighted to see you back at the hotel in the near future, yours sincerely
Duleek, Ireland
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Just returned from a two night break at the hodson, what a fantastic hotel. From start to finish it couldn't have been better. We brought the kids with us so we had an interconnecting room. Rooms were super, big, well decorated with a brilliant view over the shannon. Food was great,you could eat in the restaurant or you had a choice of a carvery in the bar which serves till 9 which was great because we didnt get down till late saturday evening. Wide variety of dishes to suit everyone,kidsmenu also. Bar staff were great, Donal and David, very friendly and good fun. Leisure centre was brill, great pool, kids had a ball. There is a little kiddies room with is accesable at all times, key code on the door so kids are secure. I believe in the summer they run a full times kids club which runs throughout the day. We had already booked a weeks stay for the last week in july.so having spent the weekend there we cant wait to get back. Well done guys.....see you in the summer

2 Thank pauldabarber
Many thanks for your positive comments and kind words on Trip Advisor. We shall pass on your comments to Donal and David in the Bar and yes you are correct, we do run Kids Camp throughout the Summer with lots of activity based fun for all the kids and we really appreciate the fact that you are returning in the Summer. Please don't hesitate to contact me on thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com so that I can get the opportunity to thank you face to face. Yours sincerely