“Christmas 2011 at Hodson Bay”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My mother, sister and I stayed at the Hodson Bay from 24 Dec to 27 Dec 2011 (3 night Christmas package). We normally stay for Christmas at their sister hotel, The Galway Bay Hotel, but this year we decided to stay somewhere else. We were not disappointed. On arrival Evan helped us unload our many suitcases and for the duration of our stay he remained extremely helpful. Check in was fine and we were thrilled with our interconnecting spa rooms.These rooms are beautifully furnished with ceiling to floor windows. Once we viewed our rooms we returned to reception to sample the complimentary mulled wine & mine pies. At this point we met William, who we assume was our Christmas host as he was present for the many Christmas activites offered during our stay. As a host he was wonderful, totally attentive and encouraging everyone to fully partake. On arrival we had booked times for all our meals and we looked forward to each and every one of them. The food here is delicious with a pretty good menu selection (perhaps slightly less of a selection than the Galway Bay Hotel). Sinead in the restaurant was extremely helpful, even arranging for a starter not on the menu for my mother. All in all we really enjoyed our Christmas period in this hotel and as a result we plan to retun here next year. Even though this hotel is known for being family-friendly and there were many families here with young children it never impacted on our stay. This may have been due to the many seating/socialising areas within the hotel. One final point, Ruth in reservations booked this package for us and she was superb in acceeding to the many special requests we made. To be honest, if I had reservations about booking this hotel her 'can do' attitude on the phone set my mind to rest. I would highly recommend this hotel for a Christmas stay.

Room Tip: Any spa room - more expensive but worth it
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

We really appreciate and thank you for your positive comments on Trip Advisor and we extend a special thanks for mentioning Evan and Ruth. Its through feedback such as your own that helps to encourage the teams performance and its great that they get recognised for all their hard work. If you ever decide to return to the hotel please feel free to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com so I can welcome you back personally, yours sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (2,238)

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed here on business recently, the room was amazing for the price. Huge TV, free internet, enormus bed, bath and shower and a view of the lake. Breakfast was good also. I didnt use the leisure facilities but they looked decent.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

I really appreciate your positive comments on Trip Advisor and hopefully I'll get the opportunity to thank you in person if you return to the hotel. Yours sincerely

Reviewed January 2, 2012

We booked in for 2 nights as we were attending a wedding at the hotel on the 28th of December. First off when you are booking this hotel beware hotel does not give you the best rate. We paid €130 each night B&B and there was a few others that attended the wedding that got it for €110 B&B on RoomEx. The groom was v mad over this but the hotel made up some lame excuse. I think this is such bad form cos they probably paid room ex 10-15% commission and direct bookings cost 0% commission for them, didn't make sense! Hotel do address this alot of people were annoyed over this!

Negative - I had asked for a non smoking room on the phone when booked it but was given a smoking room. Room 254 to be precise and the people that stayed in the room before us must have been chain smokers, cos it stank of smoke, so much so that a few that came to our room commented on it! The room was the old section and was pretty poor. There was a gaping hole between the door frame and door so light poured into the room and could hear everything in the hall. Also no bottled water after coming from a 4* hotel in tullamore that had bottled water and a fruit basket on arrival for us in the room was very poor. Also shower was not good, pressure varied. Also pillows, why isn't that hotels have a few varieties of pillows, to suit different preferences! Heat, by the 2nd evening i was getting v annoyed by the heat, we had the windows open the night before and still heat was shocking and couldn't turn it off cos the knob on the radiator came off in our hands! In fairness we called reception and they fixed it for us within 10 minutes, as I was literally boiling to rant!

So morale of story stay in the newer part as other wedding guests who did were much happier than us! Anyway between the heat, light and pillows sleep was not good, and for the amount we paid for the room i was not happy that it was good value for money.

Positive - Food was AMAZING! Ate in the bar carvery once, restaurant once, breakfast twice and for the wedding dinner and was all top notch. Now we only paid for the bar carvery which was €11.50 which I thought was a little steep €10 is enough for a carvery anywhere, so that would be only complaint on the food.

Leisure faiclities we used the swimming pool and jacuzzi top class, gym had loads of equipment too. Do bring €1 to the changing rooms for your locker.

Overall great setting, great food, great hotel facilities just the room let our experience down.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 254 if you are a non smoker, make sure to state preference to the newer wing...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

I would like to thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor and appreciate the fact that you mentioned many positive aspects to your stay but unfortunately it was disappointing to hear that there could be areas we have to improve on. It is with regret that I did not get a chance to speak with you personally before your departure. If you do wish to discuss further I would like if you could contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com and I would be delighted to speak with you, yours sincerely

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Just back from three nights at the Hodson Bay - lovely view and great pool for kids. Customer service shocking!!! Seems like it is a wedding/conference venue and all other guests are ignored. Took two hours first night to chase down some towels so we could shower. food very average and no one asked us throughout our stay how it was - this has never happened us before. Double weddings each day took over all areas of the hotel in the afternoon. Lunch options very limited and served in bar where plenty wedding guests took over. On checking out the bill had lots of mix ups and still no one asked how our stay was.

Room Tip: lake view but make sure you are not by a lift
1  Thank michele j

I would like to thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and was very disappointed to read of your experience. On the occassion of your visit we were very fortunate to have such a high level of business. We do have several areas of the hotel eg library; winter garden; juice bar and conservatory, all of which would be quieter areas for people to retreat in. We always had the policy of one wedding per day. Once again I was extremely disappointed to read your review and apologise that I did not get to talk with you before your departure. If you do wish to return to the hotel I would ask that you contact me on thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com so I can welcome you back personally, yours sincerely

Reviewed December 28, 2011

This Christmas we took the family(5 adults & 1 child) to Hodson Bay Hotel for a two night break,arriving on the 24th Dec.,and checking out on the 26th.Wilie checking in we were told that 2 rooms were on the first floor and 1 room was on the second floor.As my mother is 86,we asked that the three rooms be on the same floor,as we had originally requested.This was done within 2 minutes.Very efficient !!.During our stay,all meals were very good,service was excellent,and all staff were helpful,polite and friendly.Rooms were of a good size,and very clean,and wheelchair was provided for my mother,which made getting around much easier.
We have stayed at the Hodson Bay before,on 2 occasions,and have always been impressed with the staff and service,and also the food.We will definitely be back again!!!!.

Room Tip: If adults only are staying,look for a room in the newer section,as the are no children.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

I would like to thank you and let you know that we appreciate your review on Trip Advisor. I would also like to personally apologise for the mix up with rooms and appreciate that this was dealt with promptly. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and may I extend a very special 'Thank you' as you mentioned you stayed on 2 occassions previous and you have decided to return. When you do wish to return I would ask you to contact me on thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com so that I can welcome you back personally, yours sincerely

Reviewed December 11, 2011

We recently stayed in the Hodson Bay for a one night break. The hotel is located on the river Shannon (Lough Ree) beside Athlone Golf club, about a 5 minutes drive from Athlone Town Centre. While we didn't experience all facilities, those that we did, were of a high standard:
- Check in / Reception:
Efficient, fast and very friendly, all required information given upon arrival
- Restaurant:
A little limited and somewhat pricey.However the surrounding are pleasant as are the serving staff. Breakfast was superb, with a wide range of fresh cooked food, fruit, cereals, juices etc. A wider array of breads would be nice for those who don't go for the full irish option.
- Bar:
Excellent service and a cracking blazing fire in the corner. Just the thing for a quite night out. The usual one man band type entertainment as supplied, but it was at no point annoying ir intrusive
- Rooms:
Our room was in the original building, overlooking the water. Very well maintained, spacious and comfortable, but will become a tad dated soon.
- location:
Great of you want to chill out in the hotel, where there are fitness facilities and of course the lake and access to the Shannon. A taxi is required into town though, if you want a night out.

Room Tip: Request a river view or a room in thenew wing
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your comments and appreciate the time and effort you put into going on Trip Advisor and reviewing the hotel. In relation to the Restaurant, we have an extensive a la carte menu which has a choice of 1, 2 or 3 courses and an offer of 59 euro for 2 people. We appreciate all the other positive comments and if you do return to the hotel in the future I would like if you would contact me on thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com as I would like to greet you in person, Yours sincerely

Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed here recently for business and found the location beautiful with the River Shannon just outside the door. The room was confortable and had everything I needed. Bar was lovely and food very tasty.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

It was wonderful to read that there were many positive aspects to your stay and I would also like to thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Yours sincerely