“Very Good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Western Ireland, Ireland
“Very Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

We recently stayed in the Hodson Bay for a one night break. The hotel is located on the river Shannon (Lough Ree) beside Athlone Golf club, about a 5 minutes drive from Athlone Town Centre. While we didn't experience all facilities, those that we did, were of a high standard:
- Check in / Reception:
Efficient, fast and very friendly, all required information given upon arrival
- Restaurant:
A little limited and somewhat pricey.However the surrounding are pleasant as are the serving staff. Breakfast was superb, with a wide range of fresh cooked food, fruit, cereals, juices etc. A wider array of breads would be nice for those who don't go for the full irish option.
- Bar:
Excellent service and a cracking blazing fire in the corner. Just the thing for a quite night out. The usual one man band type entertainment as supplied, but it was at no point annoying ir intrusive
- Rooms:
Our room was in the original building, overlooking the water. Very well maintained, spacious and comfortable, but will become a tad dated soon.
- location:
Great of you want to chill out in the hotel, where there are fitness facilities and of course the lake and access to the Shannon. A taxi is required into town though, if you want a night out.

Room Tip: Request a river view or a room in thenew wing
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
I would like to thank you for your comments and appreciate the time and effort you put into going on Trip Advisor and reviewing the hotel. In relation to the Restaurant, we have an extensive a la carte menu which has a choice of 1, 2 or 3 courses and an offer of 59 euro for 2 people. We appreciate all the other positive comments and if you do return to the hotel in the future I would like if you would contact me on thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com as I would like to greet you in person, Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed here recently for business and found the location beautiful with the River Shannon just outside the door. The room was confortable and had everything I needed. Bar was lovely and food very tasty.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
It was wonderful to read that there were many positive aspects to your stay and I would also like to thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Yours sincerely
Timothy Hayes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

Stayed here for a conference in November 2011. The hotel is really nice, sitting on the edge of Lough Ree. Bedroom was spacious and very nice with all the usual comforts. The main restaurant had a slightly limited table d'hote menu but the food served was excellent. There was also a very good choice of food in the bar area. Hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It wa wonderful to read that there was so many positive aspects to your stay and I would like to thank you for your comments. At the hotel, we use feedback such as yours to look at ways to improve the service and experience that our guests receive when they stay with us. Please make us aware when you are returning so I can meet and welcome you back.
Strabane, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

Stayed here 3rd to 6th November. Beautiful setting on a lake....peaceful and the weather was glorious. Room basic, clean and fit for purpose. Kids club very good and staff were great. Took the viking boat trip which was thoroughly enjoyed by my 9year old. Ciaron and Michael were very friendly and nothing was a bother for either of them and they were also very informative of the area and the local wildlife. Thanks for the trip guys and keep up the brilliant work. Found restaurant in hotel very expensive, although tasty enough, if you haven't got a dinner package included. Tip: ask for a jug of water otherwise you will be given bottled water and charged accordingly, as we were. Overall enjoyed and would re-visit again, especially in the summer months for the watersports.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank deery844
It was wonderful to read that there were so many positive aspects to your stay and I'm delighted your children enjoyed the kids camp so much. I would also like to thank you for your comments which we have taken on board. At the hotel, we use feedback such as yours to look at ways to improve the service and experience that our guests receive when they stay with us. Please make us aware when you are returning so I can meet ande welcome you back.
Yours sincerely
Timothy Hayes
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Our first visit to the Athlone Hodson Bay Hotel was over 13 years ago with our first child and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The same cannot be said for my return visit with my 3 children recently. I found our bedroom very shabby and like the entire hotel badly in need of a makeover. The hotel advertised daily entertainment in the form of bingo etc and I decided to bring my daughter one afternoon. We made our way to the function room, after being directed by reception, but after waiting for over 20 minutes went back to reception to be told that it was being cancelled. This pattern followed each day when we tried to join organised activities. On the whole I found the reception staff extremely unhelpful to the point of rude. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: A new wing was added to the hotel and I believe that these rooms are better but adults only, No fami...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank S D
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed and that steps have been made to improve our services. In the interim we have made vast changes to our facilities and are continually seeking to improve on our customer satisfaction. We do hope that, if you have not already done so, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hodson Bay Hotel to see these changes for yourself. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Kind Regards,

Tim Hayes
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

I would thoroughly recommend the Hodson Bay Hotel for any group / family. We had 28 extended family members there over the weekend of all ages. The staff simply couldnt have been nicer, the food was excellent and the facilities very good. We all agreed to return there regularly.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you have since returned to make many more happy memories at Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Kind Regards,

Tim Hayes
Co.Down
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

Went to a business conference with my husband. Really lovely hotel and very helpful friendly staff - except for 1 girl on reception who was extremely rude. A work colleague & myself were discussing the rooms while in the reception area - my colleague asked did my husband and I want to swap rooms with her.(hers was a superior room with nicer view & she was on her own)
Receptionist interrupted with " I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would gladly take your room if you don't want it." She then asked me to show my door key/card as she didn't remember me checking in! Very unpleasant girl! Apart from this we could not fault anything, Evening meal was very good & restaurant/bar staff were very accomodating. Plenty of options to choose from for breakfast. Very nice pool area - which we made use of before breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MandJB
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay in the Hodson Bay Hotel. I welcome your feedback and would like to apologise sincerely for the experience you and your partner endured. I can assure you this is not the standard of customer service normally here at the hotel. It would however appear there was an obvious lapse in standards during your stay with us. It is unfortunate we did not get to meet prior to your departure so we could have had the opportunity to discuss this matter in greater detail, please drop me a line to thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Kind Regards