“Great Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
nat666
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

Stayed here last weekend. From start to finish a lovely enjoyable stay. Reception staff efficient and welcoming. Room modern and clean. Had dinner in restaurant which was just devine. Bar was lively and breakfast the next morning was delicious with buffet for cereals etc but full irish served to you at the table. Athlone is a great town-very lively. Hotel is right in the centre of the town. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definately return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Noepe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I can't think of a reason anyone would stay here, other than to crash after a night in the nightclub downstairs.

I was NOT happy.

I had made my reservation weeks before and booked a smoking room. The reservation was confirmed. Not until we arrived was I told that the hotel had gone non-smoking three months prior and that the website had not been updated. Not happy. But, as a late arrival after a long ride, what is one to do? Suck it up.

And it did.

The first clue should have been the packing tape over the elevator button in the lobby. We should have stopped there. Oh, but no....

... we continued up to our floor, down ill light hallways, across poorly cleaned carpeting.

Upon entering the room it is quite apparent why the hotel had gone non-smoking. Apparently, many of the prior guests in the room had attempted to burn down the buidling with lit cigarettes. There were burn marks on the tables, carpets, chairs, etc. Sorry, but if you're going to charge me a €200 fee for smoking in the room, I would think that management had previously charged for damages to the room and should have replaced the furniture. Ah.... no. Any any cleaning fee would apparently go elsewhere, as cleaning is very obviously not a high priority. After finding a hair in my bedding and in the shower, my travelling companion and I attacked the room with cleaning wipes. (Yes, I'm that kind of person). I've very rarely needed to use cleaning wipes in a room before, but was very, very glad I had them. Well, maybe not....

After wiping down most of the useable surfaces in the room, I was particularly horrified by the amount of very visible filth I removed from the padded headboard. You know, the place where your own precious head will rest? Disgusting. I would assume that most was tobacco residue (and probably some hair oil), but it was an obvious sign that the room had not been properly cleaned in at least three months.

Not enough? The carpets were radomly stained, as was the wallpaper in the room. (I took photos which I am too lazy to load.... sorry... gotta take my word on this one). Seriously gross. Had it been any earlier at all, we would have been out of there.

Morning arrived and we discovered that our room had a particulary unsettling view of a littered roof below and the adjacent seemingly abandoned barred building. It was like being in jail. I've never checked out of a room so fast in my life. And I must say, overall, the place had a horrible feel to it. I can't put my finger on it, but my friend felt exactly the same way.

We did stop for breakfast as we had paid for it, but would have done better with an egg sandwich from Tesco. The buffet looked pitiful, and the cooked breakfast was one step up from inedible. The only upside was the satisfaction of finding that I wasn't the only deceived guest there -- a recovering hen party was seated nearby, unhappily complaining about the misadvertised smoking accomodations.

The upside? The staff tired hard. I actually felt sorry for them. It's the management that should be taken out and flogged. The Prince of Wales is so utterly mismanaged and is obviously a black hole of income for whomever is sucking the life out of the place. Best of luck to the staff... keep your chins up, keep your paychecks, and keep a lookout for alternative employment. This place is in a death spiral.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BieneB
wicklow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

I stayed here for 1 night with a group of friends. We were over in the town to play golf. I have to say that from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were looked after very well. Location is excellent. Food was very good. Rooms, spotless, warm and comfortable. Will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank 2red
dubdutch, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear 2red,
Thanks very much for your kind review. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to looking after you again when you return to Athlone.
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

Lovely hotel with good suite at superb price. meals and breakfast provided at very decent price if booked and paid in advance.

Hotel has own parking lot which is great for hotel in town centre

Athlone was lovely place with lovely friendly people.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CummingDubai
dubdutch, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Dear guest,
Thanks for your kind words. We're really glad that you enjoyed the hotel and also enjoyed your time in Athlone. We hope we get the chance to welcome you back. Keep an eye on our website for our best offers!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

I would give this Hotel a 5* plus rating. Everything about it was good I could not fault it on anything

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank ChrisGreg0ry
Dear Chris,
Thanks you for your kind words. I'm delighted you were so well looked after. We hope we get a chance to welcome you back to the prince of Wales before too long.
All the best,
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

really nice hotel,lots of features in room including a dvd player and an extensive library of movies available for just a deposit....well impressed!

Room Tip: reception so helpful specially Vicky!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank blueboo1963
Hi Blueboo,
Thanks for taking the time to review us here. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and have passed on your compliments to Vicky! We hope to welcome you back.
Kind regards,
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

This is the type of hotel that has it all! Not one of your normal 4 star hotels with nice rooms but no real atmosphere. From a beautiful buffet lunch or a evening high quality steak you can guarantee nice food throughout the day. This seems to be a popular hotel with both locals and tourists who come and go all day.Although i travelled for business i would come hear again for short break. Central location with shops / entertainment on your doorstep.

Room Tip: Any room should be comfortable and affordable
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Darin1471
dubdutch, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Dear Bobbydarin,
Thanks so much for your kind review. We appreciate that you have taken the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We hope to welcome you back again soon.