“A gem that doesn't take shortcuts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hatters Bistro

Hatters Bistro
Ranked #14 of 97 Restaurants in Athlone
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome to Hatter's Lane Bistro at Strand Street on Athlone's Leinster shore. Ideally located 3 minutes from the Town Bridge, Radisson, Prince of Wales and Sheraton hotels. The Hollywood themed bistro offers a welcoming cosy atmosphere with open fire, check table clothes, walls adorned with movie star icons. The background music is easy listening typically featuring tunes from Sinatra, Martin, Bennett and the likes... Running in tandem with Gertie Brown's old world award winning pub, Hatters Lane offers the customer a unique and satisfying dining experience and hopefully will continue to serve great food well for years to come...
Shanahoe
“A gem that doesn't take shortcuts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I have had a number of visits to this restaurant since discovering it a couple of years ago. I am always happy to criticise when appropriate but for the life of me I genuinely cannot think of a single flaw. Price range may be a little on the upper level but every cent paid can be seen in the food. Absolutely exquisite. Service is superb with staff visiting your table to replenish water and anticipate other needs without being in your face all the time. Make sure you book in advance. We have always been accomodated when turning up without a booking but it has othen been tight. I cannot understand how this restaurant is not No1 in Athlone. I must check out the other restaurant cause it must be really special.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Chris O

Co Louth
“Gertie Brownes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I'm reviewing pub under the restaurant. We have been to Athlone quite a few times now and always want to call into Gertie Brownes. The atmosphere is always lovely and the staff are very friendly. On our last visit the bar man had plenty of time to chat even though he was looking after other clients. As well as telling us about Hatters Bistro he also complimented other restaurants nearby... which you don't always hear!!! Keep up the good work... bar lovely and warm with a great fire burning.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank FiFi64CoLouth
“Perfect every time never a let down”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I visited hatters lane on many an occasion with my husband and always had a fantastic meal. Last Friday evening I went with my husbands family for a celebration meal there was 8 of us we all had starters main course and only some had room for dessert all plates went back to kitchen licked clean and my family are still raving about the food. We were served quickly and efficiently with the perfect balance of friendliness and profession we did not wait long between course even though we had a well done t bone steak and when the bill arrive we were all pleasantly surprised at the value. I have never had a bad meal in hatters and would have no problems recommending this restaurant to anybody for any occasion looking forward to going back real soon

Ireland
“Excellent for coeliacs!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here on a number if occassions and have never been let down!

As a very sensitive coeliac I find that I am very nervous eating out at the best of times, however not here. The staff are excellent and knowledgable and the chef is fully aware of how to prepare and cook food for coeliacs (cross contamination issues etc) and will adapt most dishes on the menu to suit.

I had the value three course meal when last I visited, fab soup, pesto salmon for main and a selection of gf ice cream to finish.

They never fail to impress me and the staff really look after you. Ten out of ten for coeliac customers.

1 Thank Gookie87
Roscommon, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best restaurant in Athlone by far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

This absolute gem of a restaurant is a must for food, atmosphere, staff, menu and value for money. Staff are extremely helpful and welcoming. I don't live in Athlone but make it my business to go with a group of family or friends to enjoy it with. The Brie is my favourite starter, and its a coin toss between steak and the duck for my main and sticky toffee pudding is out of this world. Has a real warm and cozy atmosphere with candle lit tables.
After a lovely dinner we always go into Gerties , the ajoining pub, where the decor continues as well as the atmosphere is very friendly and service is excellent with little cubbie holes everywhere to just chill out with a drink in a private corner but still enjoy the atmosphere of the pub.
Overall it is an amazing experience, both restaurant and pub!
Congratulations to the very welcoming Brendan for the running of an extremely successful business.

• Visited December 2012