“Creative cuisine”
Review of Thyme Restaurant

Thyme Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 111 Restaurants in Athlone
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have visited this restaurant a couple of times in the past few weeks. Housed in a fairly non-descript building, the restaurant itself is warm and welcoming with tasteful decor. Not a huge number of tables so bookings advisable. The staff are friendly and attentive. Menus include a "value menu" offering fixed price for 2 or 3 courses and a la carte. The value menu has a very good selection and sources of meat/ingredients are listed by name. There is a fairly limited selection of wines by the glass but a good choice in bottles. Rare Irish craft beers are available. The cuisine is creative and imaginitive with dishes aesthetically presented; the starter arrived on a slate with a nicely decorated arrangement of salads and sauces to accompany the interesting pork and white pudding ensemble. For mains I had chicken which combined breast and thigh which were well presented. Mains come with a choice of sides; I had the potato of the day which was champ (a mix of mash and vegetables). Service is efficient and unobtrusive. Warmly recommended.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had Sunday lunch in Thyme. Our table was pre-booked, luckily, as the place filled up quite quickly. Our orders were taken right away. The menu was quite extensive and versatile with an emphasis on fresh local produce where possible. The waitress brought colouring books and crayons to keep the children occupied. The childrens' lunch (freshly prepared fried chicken pieces and chips) was served with the adults starters as requested. Starters were delicious. Five of us chose the chicken dish for mains, one had beef and one had the pork dish. All dishes were beautifully presented and tasted just heavenly. We were all full but we just couldn't pass on the mouth watering deserts! We weren't disappointed! Fresh coffee and tea finished off a really lovely meal. Our visit to Thyme was a wonderful experience. Service was excellent
and the waitresses friendly,smiling and attentive. The children were well looked after. Food was cooked to perfection, beautifully presented and very good value. We hadn't a single complaint. We will be back!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked this restaurant on the strength of reviews on trip advisor. Myself and two friends met up for a night in Athlone and discovered this fantastic delight only two minutes from our hotel. The outside of the restaurant will let you think you are not in for anything special but just step inside and your night of gourmet delight starts. The food is without doubt amazing presented beautifully and a sensation on your taste buds. Our party of three had three different starters and main courses and desserts with each of us professing that ours was the best. To end the night of pure heaven it was of even greater thrill that our bill was unbelievably cheap that we actually thought there may have been a mistake-but no the early bird menu is not a cheaper version it is the real thing at very reasonably prices. Without hesitation we would all go back here and we cannot rave about it enough

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had Sunday lunch recently here & everything about it was lovely. The place is lovely inside & very relaxing, the staff are very friendly & the food fantastic. Our group was made up of 5 adults & 1 toddler and everyone ate well & left happy, we will certainly go back.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I wanted to try out this restaurant based on its great reviews here. I was in Athlone on a Wednesday evening and popped into the restaurant about 6 pm without a reservation, there were 4 people there as it was the quiet part of the evening, i asked for a table for my husband and I our two sons 5 and 3 and our baby 1. The waitress looked at my baby in my arms and asked if i had a reservation when i replied no she said she would have to look at the book. My husband looked at me and said we are not welcome here from the way she looked at our baby. He was right she came back to me and said they had a lot of bookings for 7 and 7:30 I didn't even bother to remind her that it was 6 and that we would be finished for 7, why should i have to justify my custom. I go to Athlone every year and thought I might be missing out , not having tried this restaurant but I think food tastes better when you feel welcome, so its actually they have missed out as I will not be returning.

1  Thank Josephine D
Tbjc, Owner at Thyme Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Hi Josephine D,
Apologies if you and your young family did not feel welcome at our restaurant, this I can assure you was not the case we always welcome children. As a mother myself I fully appreciate how nice it is to be in a position to go out for a family meal. My reason for looking at your baby was to ascertain if maybe I could use a high chair in lieu of a chair if possible. Unfortunately as explained we were heavily booked later in the evening and I had no way of accommodating you and your family, as a policy we allocate a minimum of 2 hours for our customers to have a meal with us as all our food is freshly prepared and cooked to order ,this is especially important when we are very busy therefore I could not give you a table that was booked within the next 2 hours.
Apologies again you felt unwelcome, I hope you and your family had a nice time in Athlone.
Kind Regards,