“exceptional” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thyme Restaurant

Thyme Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in Athlone
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
co leitrim
“exceptional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked this restaurant on the strength of reviews on trip advisor. Myself and two friends met up for a night in Athlone and discovered this fantastic delight only two minutes from our hotel. The outside of the restaurant will let you think you are not in for anything special but just step inside and your night of gourmet delight starts. The food is without doubt amazing presented beautifully and a sensation on your taste buds. Our party of three had three different starters and main courses and desserts with each of us professing that ours was the best. To end the night of pure heaven it was of even greater thrill that our bill was unbelievably cheap that we actually thought there may have been a mistake-but no the early bird menu is not a cheaper version it is the real thing at very reasonably prices. Without hesitation we would all go back here and we cannot rave about it enough

Ireland
“Friendly Service, Fantastic food & good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had Sunday lunch recently here & everything about it was lovely. The place is lovely inside & very relaxing, the staff are very friendly & the food fantastic. Our group was made up of 5 adults & 1 toddler and everyone ate well & left happy, we will certainly go back.

Tullylease, Cork, Ireland
“not very family friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I wanted to try out this restaurant based on its great reviews here. I was in Athlone on a Wednesday evening and popped into the restaurant about 6 pm without a reservation, there were 4 people there as it was the quiet part of the evening, i asked for a table for my husband and I our two sons 5 and 3 and our baby 1. The waitress looked at my baby in my arms and asked if i had a reservation when i replied no she said she would have to look at the book. My husband looked at me and said we are not welcome here from the way she looked at our baby. He was right she came back to me and said they had a lot of bookings for 7 and 7:30 I didn't even bother to remind her that it was 6 and that we would be finished for 7, why should i have to justify my custom. I go to Athlone every year and thought I might be missing out , not having tried this restaurant but I think food tastes better when you feel welcome, so its actually they have missed out as I will not be returning.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Josephine D
Tbjc, Owner at Thyme Restaurant, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi Josephine D,
Apologies if you and your young family did not feel welcome at our restaurant, this I can assure you was not the case we always welcome children. As a mother myself I fully appreciate how nice it is to be in a position to go out for a family meal. My reason for looking at your baby was to ascertain if maybe I could use a high chair in lieu of a chair if possible. Unfortunately as explained we were heavily booked later in the evening and I had no way of accommodating you and your family, as a policy we allocate a minimum of 2 hours for our customers to have a meal with us as all our food is freshly prepared and cooked to order ,this is especially important when we are very busy therefore I could not give you a table that was booked within the next 2 hours.
Apologies again you felt unwelcome, I hope you and your family had a nice time in Athlone.
Kind Regards,
Tara Coffey
belfast, ireland
“this place would fit in anywhere......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

We went to Thyme for dinner while in Athlone for the weekend, purely on the strength of its Trip Advisor reviews. And we weren't disappointed. It's an unassuming place from the outside, and not very roomy inside, but the food is little short of brilliant. This is an Irish restaurant with a genuine passion for Irish ingredients. Every dish has details of where its key components come from, and a lot of care and attention goes into everything from menu detail to presentation on the plate. What's more, there's a healthy choice of beef, pork, chicken and fish dishes, a range of excellent starters (try the Ham Hock Terrine) and a ginger pudding dessert which will live long in my memory. Not bad value either. If you're in Athlone, make time to go there.

Visited June 2013
“A Little Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Recently celebrated my wife's birthday here . Really good food , attentive service and very reasonably priced . We ate from their early bird menu which offers an ample selection of dishes to choose from, representing good value .

Visited June 2013