“Excellent”

Kin Khao Thai Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 113 Restaurants in Athlone
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Description: Thai cuisine, local style. That's local Thai not dumbed down Western style. Our great food, service and local beers and wines are waiting for you. Looking forward to seeing you.
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Went there last night for the first time. Food was superb - couldn't fault it.
Service was excellent - lovely smiling staff. One little thing - tables are a bit too close together therefore you can hear every word of the conversation of the people beside you. Will definitely be back and will recommend to family and friends!

1  Thank ros1068

Reviewed December 19, 2010

I'm from Athlone and sorry to say this was my first time to dine in but wont be the last. I've had takeout several times and its been fantastic and after dining in can honestly say the takeout is every bit as good. My sister is a maniac for this place and lunches here quite often (2 course for E10 on a set menu).

I've tried all the curries, the satay, the beef with steamed veg in a peanut sauce and I've never once been disappointed with the food.

Last night the place was packed to capacity, the service was very good but a little slow due to how busy they were but it was worth the wait. To start we shared a chicken satay which was good size portion 4 skewers with a side salad and lots of yummy sauce and a portion of pork spare ribs which fell off the bone and were delicious. For the main we had the crying tiger which was filled of beef sliced served on a sizzling platter on a bed of muchroom and onions with the chilli sauce on the side, I love my spicy food and this was delicious but I only used a small amound of the sauce as it is HOT HOT HOT make your eyes water kinda stuff (hotter than vindaloo). It was delicious and we had noodles and sauteed potatos with it all delicious. We shared banana fritters and ice cream for desert my only regret was we didnt get 2 portions they were so delicious. Im goin back for lunch tomorrow I was so impressed... Cannot wait.

Price wise they do have the lunch deal 2 course for 10 euro slightly smaller portions I am told, they have an early bird menu too but choices are limited on that. The regular menu is good value most starters are around 6 euro and the majority of mains are around 18-20 euro so they are by no means hugely expensive. Try it you wont be disappointed :-)

1  Thank WELLTRAVELED29
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The food in Kin Khao is wonderful but I've had several bad experiences there with the service. Once, on paying the bill, the waiter handed me a weight-loss motivation leaflet and said my friend didn't need it because she wasn't fat! On another occasion, having booked in advance and arriving on time, we were seated and given menus, and then told that they needed the table back in 1hr 15 mins. The waiters are often rude and seem very unhappy - unless one of the owners is there. Just today, a waiter turned off the music and stood staring at me and my lunch companion until we left - we were the last to leave, but it was only 2.30 and we arrived less than an hour before. I always vow I'll never go again, but end up going back for the great food.

2  Thank Lindamr
Reviewed October 18, 2010

panang curry.....every time...!!
Love this place. iv eaten in every restaurant in athlone and this is simply the best.
little more expensive than average ...but worth every penny... :)

Reviewed October 3, 2010

this is a hidden gem - there were families, large groups and couples and all seemed to be having a great time. we were a group of college friends returning 20 years after we met in athlone - the menu was good for mains - the starters 3 of us were not impressed and were worried about our choice of restaurant - not we need not have worried as the main were excellant all six of us had a different dish and all loved them. staff were great