“Real Indian food”

Add it.
Saagar
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Good tasty food with good service. If you like Indian food I can recommend this place. The restaurant itself is not exactly high class though!

Reviewed February 6, 2011

Ok - have been to Saagar in Mullingar before, a very nice experience there. This is one of the three Saagar restaurants (Dublin being the other) and I was expecting the same quality experience. Unfortunately it didn't happen.

The Restaurant itself was pretty cold and spartan in appearance - bare concrete with some pictures stuck up. Looking up at the ceiling you can see that the building owner hasn't bothered to plaster over the bare concrete subfloor above. Miserable. As well as being an eyesore, bare concrete absorbs heat. As a result - you guessed it - the Restaurant was cold.

Perhaps Saagar aren't the owners and therefore it's not their responsibility for things like the subfloor. But the cold is their responsibility and they could have tackled it somewhat by putting a few nice hanging fabrics along the wall and ceiling - cheap, makes the place look cozy and stops all the heat being lost. Or just turn up the heating.

So was the food good? Well the starters were nice. But the mains were iffy. My wife had lamb and it wasn't up to much to be honest. Tough meat and fiery hot (I didn't mind that my vindaloo was hot, but her choice was supposed to be mild). Also, it seems that half of Saagar's wine list was not available that night - perhaps understandable if we were visiting on a Monday after a busy weekend, but not on a Saturday night at 7.30.

The server was a pleasant person, but he seemed to be the only person in the place. On top of that, when we arrived we were one of only 2 couples in the place, but it still took us a while for him to come down and serve us. No excuse really.

I didn't look at the toilets but the rest of the place needs some work. Speaking as someone who enjoyed my visit to Saagar in Mullingar last year, this place gives the whole group a bad name. Won't be returning for a good while.

1  Thank HappyNoel
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Super Indian food..great service..5 minutes walk from the Radisson..recommended

Reviewed March 24, 2010

I visited Saagar last week (March 2010). They are offering an Early Bird Menu which is great value. I got a starter, main, rice and naan and a beer for €20.

Everything was very tasty, the service was good and overall i cant really complain. Im going again this week and I can already see this becoming a weekly occurance!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook