“Wonderful Relaxing Spa Weekend”
Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I travelled to the Sheraton with my mum for a relaxing mother and daughter spa weekend. We travelled by Irish Rail, which was great, the train station is 2 minutes walk to the hotel. The room was spacious, with twin beds (as requested). Bathroom was spotless with separate shower and bath. Audio from the TV could be heard in the bathroom which was a nice surprise. Spa was beautiful and relaxing. The swimming pool had great massage features and was clean and warm. We had dinner in the restaurant, and although busy, service was excellent. Food was hot and tasty. I would recommend this hotel to anybody, family, solo, couple or group. With a shopping centre next door it is an ideal spot for a girls spa weekend!. Loved the Sheraton and will go back again with my family.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank SueJ76

Reviewed June 29, 2009

Very Helpful Staff, Very Clean, Lovely Food, Beautiful Décor, Very Close To Shops. The Rooms Are Quite Plainly Decorated, Although Quite Comfortable. Other Then That, Superb.

Reviewed June 28, 2009

This is a beautiful hotel, near to the railway and bus stations and right at the heart of Athlone town. Its access to the Athlone Town Centre shopping centre is an added bonus.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The bedroom was huge, with a gorgeous comfortable bed. The bathroom was also beautiful with a bath and a separate shower.
The pool and leisure facilities were some of the best I have ever seen in Ireland and a beautiful place to relax.
The bar and restaurant provided good food and drink at good prices, for the food you got.
The free internet access in the hotel lobby was a great resource.
If I were to make one critical comment it would be that the hotel did not provide a huge amount of information on the surrounding area, we would have liked even a map of Athlone. However, the free internet access meant we could search for all of these things online.

Reviewed June 14, 2009

My husband and I are Starwood members and have stayed at Le Meridiens/Westins/Ws all over the world. The Sheraton Athlone easily holds its own with that caliber hotel. Our room was absolutely gorgeous with two walls made completely of window and overlooking Athlone town and the River Shannon. Our bed was massive and probably one of the most comfortable we have ever slept on. The hotel was well-designed and had comfortable sitting and hanging out areas. There was free internet in the entire hotel, which was a nice feature. The breakfast was buffet style, but included all the Irish standards. If I had any complaint it would be the strange elevator system. Oh, if you can, take a swim suit. This hotel has one of the most amazing pools and hydrotherapy devices available. It's a complete water massaging system and just beautiful. The gym is also really awesome and world class.

1  Thank neetel
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We decided last minute to visit friends in athlone on our way to dublin. We stayed midweek and our break included 2BB1D. There are some great offers on their website at the moment. We stayed in a standard room which was lovely, spacious and nicely decorated. We have a 2 year old and they had the cot set up in his room with a little blanket on the side! The hotel is in the middle of the town with the added bonus of being attached to the new shoppping center! The breakfast Buffet had good choice, liked the make your own coffee machine, great coffee! The surprise of our whole stay was the evening meal, it was outstanding, would go back again for the meal alone. All the staff we met were very friendly, helpful and efficient. We plan to go back again during the summer with our extended family for a little break away together, we have no doubt they will love it!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank CastleMac
Reviewed June 2, 2009

Stayed at the sherathon in athlone last weekend. Its a really nice modern hotel, I stayed in one of the deluxe rooms, had a fantastic view of the shannon and athlone. Rooms are very modern and clean, nice bathroom to with separate shower and bath. Check in at reception was no problem, and both girls were very nice and pleasant.

Bar area is grand and the food is good, but the bar menu does not offer much of a selection. However, as I say, what we did get was good.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Abbey2000
Reviewed April 28, 2009

The hotel itself is lovely and of the standard one would expect of a Sheraton property but the staff are sadly lacking. When my partner and I arrived at front desk to check in, we were informed there were no junior suites available (which was the room type I had booked) and the lady checking us in proceeded to ring reservations to check on this. This was taking a long time and I offered to move to the side of the lobby while she sorted it out and we were very kindly offered tea. However, I should not have had to come up with this idea.
We were given our room key after about ten minutes but not given any direction on how to reach the room or offered any help with our luggage.
The room itself was very nice although we were located next to the elevators despite having requested a quiet room.
There was a wedding on in the hotel the same night and we could hear the band and dj clearly from our room on the 3rd floor and we slept very badly. The following day we asked a member of staff if there was another wedding on that night and were told that there was so my partner went down to the front desk to see if we could be moved to a quieter room but was informed (rather rudely) that there was no wedding on at all.
It also took us an hour and a half, after three phone calls and a visit to front desk to get an iron delivered to the room.
I found breakfast to be very badly organised and chaotic and impossible to get the attention of the staff for assistance.
Having worked for Starwood in the past I am aware of the standards and level of customer service to be expected of the Sheraton brand and I was sorely disappointed by my stay at the Sheraton Athlone.
The building is lovely, the pool and fitness areas very nicely done but the staff need to be better organised and trained in customer service.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple