“Good but room for imporvement”
Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Dublin, Ireland
“Good but room for imporvement”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed one night in this hotel. We booked directly with the hotel and stayed in Deluxe room on the ninth floor. The hotel was very busy and checkin was quick. We were sold breakfast which was cheaper to prepay than just arriving in the restaurant in the morning. The hotel is confusing maze of different lifts to get to where you want to end up. While we had a view the pictures do indicate the view from the deluxe rooms is of the river but was hard to see the river from our room.

We had booked treatments in the spa which was super. However in our room was only one bathrobe, slippers and one towel. We rang room services before we went for some lunch hoping they would be back by the time we returned. However they were not! We rang about and waited another 15/20minutes and then had to leave because our treatment time was fast approaching.

It should be standard to ensure there are two path towels at a minimum in every hotel room. Other than these issues the hotel was nice. Service in the bar was slow to start but then improved. It was very busy and this may have been a factor.

One checkout we were charged for the breakfast twice. This was quickly corrected. The minor issues we encountered can be over come very quickly with a little more attention to details. Therefore if needed we would try this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed March 14, 2014

fantastic night in the sheraton,food was delicious,service was fantastic,and the staff are lovely and very friendly!! I have stayed in loads of hotels and never did I experience the service that we got in the sheraton, Staff are a credit to the this hotel,would like to mention Abdullah Ahmeal especially made us feel like we were at home, a real gentleman!! I will 100% be back in this hotel and I am looking forward to it already!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear “Leanne D”,Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to provide such a positive review of your experience with us. I am delighted to read that you found our team to be so friendly and we were very proud to read that you found the service to among the best you have experienced. It was a great pleasure to share your comments with the team at our weekly review of guest feedback. We are very fortunate to have a team of associates and management who are focused on exceeding our guest’s expectations with a genuine and friendly service and Abdalla regularly receives such positive feedback. It is very kind of you to recognize their efforts. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.Yours Sincerely,Johnny O’Sullivan,General Manager.
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed overnight while attending a conference. Room was spacious, very clean, modern and comfortable. Staff were helpful. The hotel was in the centre of the town and was within walking distance of the conference venue.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ryatho
Dear “Ryatho”,
On behalf of myself and the team I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay. Your opinion is very important to us and I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.We look forward to welcoming you back to The Sheraton Athlone Hotel very soon, perhaps we might have the opportunity to host the conference next time round also!
Yours Sincerely,
Johnny O'Sullivan,
General Manager.
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Just back from a lovely weekend stay at the Sheraton Athlone. The room was fantastic (recommend a tower room, the extra walk is worth it!), it has a lovely bathroom and all the amenities you'd need. The staff were so friendly and helpful, even posting home some house keys and gloves that I left behind. The bar had a great atmosphere both Friday and Saturday nights as well as during the match on Saturday afternoon. The leisure centre was nice, a bit small but all you need for an evening dip on a weekend away.

I must compliment the Spa at this hotel - it was the best spa experience I've ever had. My boyfriend and I indulged in the "Couples Retreat" special and it was worth every penny - fun with the mud chamber, an incredible massage followed by a gorgeous facial - utter relaxation. The staff were so friendly and it was just an amazing experience.

The only niggling issues I had was the fact that one room on our floor must have been a smoking room and the smell of cigarettes in the hallway was horrible, really detracted from our upgrade to the tower rooms. I also felt that the bar food was a bit expensive and took a long time to come to the table.

I would definitely return to this hotel, I really enjoyed the experience!

Room Tip: The tower rooms are lovely but they are a bit of a walk away - if you are elderly or inclined to wan...
Dear “Aoife13”,
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for providing such a positive review of your experience with us. I was delighted to share your very kind comments that our staff were friendly and hepful,, and in particular that you enjoyed your time in our Sirana Urban Spa. Dara and her team have been recieivng wonderful feedback and it great to hear from our guests when they enjoy a brief escape from the hustle and bustle of daily life in our “hidden gem”. It is wonderful to read that you found the atmosphere in our Sheraton Bar and I do apologise that you found the service to be slow during your meal. We are very conscious of providing excellent value to our customers and I will certainly review the pricing structure with our management team to identify if there are any areas where we can improve in our bar menu. My sincerest apologies that there was an issue in relation to smoking in a non smoking area of the hotel. We have very strict policies in relation to this and will continue to use our best endeavors to avoid a repeat of such behaviour. Our sincere thanks once more for taking the time to review The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.
Yours Sincerely,Johnny O’Sullivan,
General Manager,Sheraton Athlone Hotel
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Just home from a very enjoyable extended family get together and stay in the Sheraton last night 8 Mar. Delighted to report that it is every bit as good as the tripadvisor reviews said. Very high standard of accommodation, service, breakfast, leisure facilities, cleanliness, comfort - couldn't fault a thing. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear “OwenDublin5”
Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to provide a review of your experience with us and for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel. We are very proud to read that you found your experience to live up to the reviews of our previous guests.It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed some precious time a way with your family and that you chose to share this time together at the Sheraton Athlone Hotel.
We are delighted that you will be returning and look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.
Yours Sincerely,
Ireland
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We returned to the Sheraton Hotel for my partners birthday,once again we had the most enjoyable stay. The staff were lovely and helpful. We had dinner included each night as part of our package and the restaurant staff really looked after us, the chef even made a main course for me that was not on the menu which I really appreciated. The room was spacious and clean, very comfortable. We just loved the swimming pool, sauna and steam room. Once again the Sheraton Athlone did not fail to impress. We will be returning again. Thank you to all the staff for looking after us so well.

Dear “Liz2901”,
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and would like to thank you for returning to stay with us once again. We are very fortunate to have a team of management and associates who constantly work together to exceed our guest’s expectations.
I look forward to sharing your feedback with Kevin, Juraj and our Restaurant and Kitchen teams. On behalf of the staff here at the hotel thank you once again for your kind words.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Isn't it a fine hotel a couple commented to me as I entered the lift and indeed it is. From being obliging and letting me checkin at noon on a busy Saturday to helping me print off my boarding pass on a Sunday morning, nothing is too much for the staff. Thank you Mark!

The location is great, right in the middle of town and for me not far from the bus station and right beside the shopping center. My room was on the 7th floor overlooking the town but numbered 4XX so a little confusing as was the arrangement to take the lift to 2 and to go down the hall to get another lift up to 7. A minor design fault

The room was luxurious, spacious and clean. Great big crisp clean bed and very comfortable too. Good sized bathroom with lots of soaps and gels although the towels were a tad worn and not very soft. Tea and coffee making facilities and lots of power points plus the in room wifi worked well too.

The bar and common areas downstairs are very modern and trendy and attract a nice crowd. The indoor pool was well maintained but busy on my visit. Breakfast on Sunday morning was a delight ( I was down early perhaps that's why) lots of space in the breakfast room and a great choice of traditional Irish black and white pudding and sausage and bacon. An unannounced arrival of toast with my pot of tea was a nice touch. Again the staff were very attentive, clearing plates and asking if I wanted more tea or toast. It was a very pleasant experience.

Athlone is very nice town , right by the river and only 1hr 25 minutes from Dublin airport and the Sheraton a good base to stay if you want a little luxury at an affordable price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear “UncleDom”,
Thank you most sincerely for providing such a comprehensive and positive review of your stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.I was delighted to share your comments with the team throughout the hotel who were very proud to receive such wonderful feedback.
It is wonderful to read that you found our breakfast service to be of a high standard. This is an area of great focus for us as it is more often than not the final meal which our guests enjoy before leaving the hotel. In recent months we have been placing a great emphasis on helping our guests to “Colour your Plate”. Working to ensure that our offerings feature colourful, key nutrients from fruits and vegetables. This has the added benefit of bringing a great freshness and flavor to our breakfast buffets.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon and once again thank you for your kind words.